IGNORED

What Type Of Forward?

Bat Fastard

The days of the old fashioned target man are done. If we're to sign another forward it would be nice to have a powerful player but making a goalscoring contribution is more important. We didn't lack for goals from forwards last time at all.

Yeah, but we're in an age if the 'new fashioned target man'. The striker de rigeur these days is big, mobile and with a good touch. Modern football formations tend to favour a striker who plays with his back to goal a lot- looking at the World Cup and many, many teams have that player. Lukaku or Origi for Belgium. Benzema or Giroud for France. Klose is the go-to guy for Ze Germans. Fred and Jo operate as target men for Brazil. Now whether 6foot+ strikers with good touch and mobility exist at League 1 level is another debate, but the target man is not dead he has simply evolved

In my opinion we need a 6'+ forward who can not only muscle the opposition centre half and play with his back to goal but can hold the ball up whilst the midfield come forward. He would be the first line of defence, stopping the ball coming straight back at us and building pressure on the defence. Given two of our new signings can actually cross the ball from wide I'd imagine he would score a few as well as providing assists for Baldock and JET.

Maybe at the higher levels of the game the big number 9 like Malcolm McDonald Bob Latchford and Paul Cheesley are a thing of the past but in League 1 (or the old Div3) they can be very effective. In the ideal world a Rickie Lambert type would be the man to go for but they are few and far between so why not go for a battering ram, after all a key will only open certain doors whereas a battering ram will open most if you hit them hard enough.

Always remember him ripping the rovers several new ones during an FA battering a few years back.

At that time he was genuinely awsome. Injuries have certainly halted his career, but he seemed to be effective in a struggling Yeovil team (penalties aside) and, if fit, would tear this league apart.

Having said that, I wouldnt think he is the "type" that SC is looking for here.

Yes one of the best forwards I saw in that 07/08 season vs us based on that performance, Fraizer Campbell being up there too.

Would be very surprised if we haven't/aren't considering him - needs a bit of continuity having been loaned out last couple it seasons

Yeah, but we're in an age if the 'new fashioned target man'. The striker de rigeur these days is big, mobile and with a good touch. Modern football formations tend to favour a striker who plays with his back to goal a lot- looking at the World Cup and many, many teams have that player. Lukaku or Origi for Belgium. Benzema or Giroud for France. Klose is the go-to guy for Ze Germans. Fred and Jo operate as target men for Brazil. Now whether 6foot+ strikers with good touch and mobility exist at League 1 level is another debate, but the target man is not dead he has simply evolved

I'd say the striker de rigeur these days is far more often small, quick and skilful and that you see far fewer large forwards now compared with 20 years ago.

A lot of people seem to make some assumption about the size of a player meaning they're a target man.  I'd say few of the players you mentioned actually play much with their backs to goal or feed well from long passes.  Fred, Jo, Lukaku and Benzema are much more effective with the ball in front of them facing goal for example.

Rather than the target man evolving, it's more accurate to say that to succeed in the modern game skill is more important than size so very few players make it on size or aerial ability alone.  You can't afford a big lump in a modern XI so the only big players who make it now are those who can play effectively on the ball.

Few teams, and no successful ones I've seen, play long ball.  Some are more direct, but the days of hoofing it aimlessly relying on a 6ft4 forward to shoulder everyone out of the way are over and thank **** for that.

We could use a strong forward, but ability and goalscoring are far more important.

perosnally I think we do need a big strong type strikers,

what would you do with you are being held to a draw on a wet tuesday night away at oldham, they have marked baldock and freeman out of the game, and we can't break down the defense?

I'd bring on a big man and start going more direct, if we have the big target man type player it doesn;t mean we will always play kick and rush or long ball football, but to borrow a phrase from Sir Gary of Johnson, its another club in the bag

perosnally I think we do need a big strong type strikers,

what would you do with you are being held to a draw on a wet tuesday night away at oldham, they have marked baldock and freeman out of the game, and we can't break down the defense?

I'd bring on a big man and start going more direct, if we have the big target man type player it doesn;t mean we will always play kick and rush or long ball football, but to borrow a phrase from Sir Gary of Johnson, its another club in the bag

I  think the club in the bag should be Chelsea.  :w00t:

Yes one of the best forwards I saw in that 07/08 season vs us based on that performance, Fraizer Campbell being up there too.

Would be very surprised if we haven't/aren't considering him - needs a bit of continuity having been loaned out last couple it seasons

I like your posts Fogg but your way off mark here with these two. Fraizer Campbell wont even be on our radar as he's simply out of our league while if Keith Burt has the same opinion on Ishmael Miller as our previous manager did then he wont be coming here neither.

I like your posts Fogg but your way off mark here with these two. Fraizer Campbell wont even be on our radar as he's simply out of our league while if Keith Burt has the same opinion on Ishmael Miller as our previous manager did then he wont be coming here neither.

No sorry I meant in that season Campbell and Miller were the two that impressed me most! He was what we lacked in that playoff season, made the difference for hull.

I would like us to be looking at Miller, hope Burt sees him differently!

Surely if it's "another club in the bag" then you don't want a player to come in, get frustrated about sitting on the bench and not develop... The better option would be a Tim Cahill kind of Midfielder who is more than capable of holding his own against brick #hit-house defenders.

Failing that a centre half that has some kind of control over where the ball's going in both boxes like Jamie McCombe

I'd say the striker de rigeur these days is far more often small, quick and skilful and that you see far fewer large forwards now compared with 20 years ago.

A lot of people seem to make some assumption about the size of a player meaning they're a target man. I'd say few of the players you mentioned actually play much with their backs to goal or feed well from long passes. Fred, Jo, Lukaku and Benzema are much more effective with the ball in front of them facing goal for example.

Rather than the target man evolving, it's more accurate to say that to succeed in the modern game skill is more important than size so very few players make it on size or aerial ability alone. You can't afford a big lump in a modern XI so the only big players who make it now are those who can play effectively on the ball.

Few teams, and no successful ones I've seen, play long ball. Some are more direct, but the days of hoofing it aimlessly relying on a 6ft4 forward to shoulder everyone out of the way are over and thank **** for that.

We could use a strong forward, but ability and goalscoring are far more important.

I do understand what you're saying and wholeheartedly agree that there's been a general change in attitude towards the use of a big man, but modern formations and styles of play still need someone to play with their back to goal and for the play to pivot around. The ball doesn't get lumped from back to front at the guys head, but it gets played into his feet and he turns or lays it off or into the channel for him to chase, hold up and play in the breaking midfielders. It's a different style, but it's still a target man. I think all we're disagreeing about is how you label the players or style in question to be honest

Archived