IGNORED

Poor Oldham...

G Block

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140703-sportsdirect-1713215.aspx

Who's looking forward to their visit to the SportsDirect.com Park then??

whats poor about every one will still call it boundry park, and it puts money in the coffers so they compete,

You'll find more and more clubs doing this, don't be suprised if Ashton Gate gets renamed to the Bristol Sports Stadium if it meens putting more money through the books increase our turnover and giving us a better advanatage with the FFP and SCM rules

They are so skint they have little choice really.

whats poor about every one will still call it boundry park, and it puts money in the coffers so they compete,

You'll find more and more clubs doing this, don't be suprised if Ashton Gate gets renamed to the Bristol Sports Stadium if it meens putting more money through the books increase our turnover and giving us a better advanatage with the FFP and SCM rules

For the last time there is no need for Bristol Sport/Hargreaves Lansdown to sponsor City as SL can put money in the form of equity DIRECTLY INTO THE CLUB.

Its not just stadium name rights they are taking over their club shop too

For the last time there is no need for Bristol Sport/Hargreaves Lansdown to sponsor City as SL can put money in the form of equity DIRECTLY INTO THE CLUB.

I was using Bristol Sports as an example, there is nothing wrong with getting outside revenue streams into the club if it means we can become more self sufficant and not have to get money from one man,

Take Ashburton Grove for Arsenal or the City of manchester Stadium for Man City, both have very rich backers but still get a decent wedge in from sponsership from massives companys,

I was using Bristol Sports as an example, there is nothing wrong with getting outside revenue streams into the club if it means we can become more self sufficant and not have to get money from one man,

Take Ashburton Grove for Arsenal or the City of manchester Stadium for Man City, both have very rich backers but still get a decent wedge in from sponsership from massives companys,

The two examples you have given are both known more commonly by the sponsors names though.....

The two examples you have given are both known more commonly by the sponsors names though.....

ask the fans, they are commonly known to arm chair fans as the emirites and the etihad because thats all they see on the tele, ask season ticket holders at both grounds and they will say the City of manchester or Ashburton Grove,

Much like the sportdirect arena was know as St James park to the fans,

St James Park being renamed was a disaster and the branding was removed pretty quickly if I remember correctly?

I can't say anything for Man City as I don't know any season ticket holders there, but the two Arsenal ST holders I know both refer to it as the Emirates. TBH I'd forgotten it was even supposed to be called Ashburton Grove!

I think the difference with those two grounds though is the fact they are both relatively new and the fans didn't have a history of calling the stadium by it's proper name and therefore the sponsors names were accepted fairly readily. It wouldn't happen with Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park or Ashton Gate for that matter!

St James Park being renamed was a disaster and the branding was removed pretty quickly if I remember correctly?

I can't say anything for Man City as I don't know any season ticket holders there, but the two Arsenal ST holders I know both refer to it as the Emirates. TBH I'd forgotten it was even supposed to be called Ashburton Grove!

I think the difference with those two grounds though is the fact they are both relatively new and the fans didn't have a history of calling the stadium by it's proper name and therefore the sponsors names were accepted fairly readily. It wouldn't happen with Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park or Ashton Gate for that matter!

I hope you are right, but with more and more money and business men involved in football I think name changes after sponsership will become the norm,

With st jame's park I think it changed back after Wonga.com brought the naming rights and due to the negitivity surrounding that deal and their sponsership of the club, they decided to change the name back to St Jame's park in a bid to get fans on side, I may be wrong on that,

Anyway what if we did get a stadium sponsership and the sponser decided to use Ashton Gate sponsered by Bristol Sports limited? would people be against that? after all the shorterned name would be Ashton Gate?

That may be the case, but companies pay for advertising space in order to gain exposure. It may well be the case that Bristol Sport or Hargeaves Lansdown want their names on shirts or stadiums in order to maximise business opportunities...It's not all about SL putting money into the club, after all, you're right in as much as he can do this by equity. But any business might feel that by having a sponsorship deal of any kind might open up an opportunity which didn't previously exist. It's about looking at the bigger picture.

I wasn't suggesting that the grounds wouldn't ever be sponsored, more that the fans at those particular grounds (as examples) would never switch to common usage of the sponsored name.

oh I completely agree with that rich, I wasn't suggesting you were ether I'm sorry if it came across like that

Archived