IGNORED

Bristol City / Willem Ii -

Andy082005

Think I posted on here last year about meeting a Willem II supporter whilst in Ibiza.  Anyway, met up with him again this year, and fair play to him.....what a top bloke and one who has a huge passion for his club, and a genuine interest in ours.

The guy is an MC called MC Apster and has residency in Privilege night club every Monday.  Seems to be a very successful guy back home and works all over the world (is in Belgium this weekend I believe).  We only fleetingly met him last year, hit it off because of our love of our football clubs.....and we pretty much stayed in touch through facebook over the last 12 months.

Like I said, genuinely great bloke and went out his way to sort us free entry and backstage to his night, which he didn't have to do.  Funny thing was, we all get pi**ed and we then convinced him to cancel his flight home the next day and stay on with us as he had three days off :clapping:  :clapping: .  He sorted us out VIP for Hardwell at Ushuaia and he pretty much had a three day holiday with three strangers from Bristol . Was funny explaining that to people back home "yeah we went out, got smashed....and woke up with a Dutch guy in one of our rooms...."

He is one of the sponsors for Willem II and was saying how much they want a friendly with us, how it would be a huge festival of football and one huge party if it ever happens.....but the only real sticking point at the minute, unfortunately....is our club.

Not really posted much on here the last 12 months....I do know there was a thread about this a while back, any more news on if it is ever likely to happen? would be epic for sure.

Yes, we had our Kings day today and no we also did not play a match... When I saw the Message 1 month ago that the match of BCFC was cancelled Due to the State of the pitch, I have once again suggested to play against each other today in Tilburg. For wathever reason this is/could not be arranged...... We now only have the "promise" that both clubs Will do their best to arrange a pre season match next year.....

Fingers crossed and we will keep the "pressure" on Willem II from our side......

I seriously don't get the Willem II love in with Bristol City fans. Realistically Willem II aren't even a big side in Holland and if we were to go out there for a friendly, the only way it would work is if we played 1 or 2 other teams as well, which would be unlikely.

If we played Willem II at Ashton Gate , it wouldn't be the draw Ajax was that's for sure, and there would probably be 5000 tops there. Willem II have now been promoted back to the top flight but they will be the whipping boys in that league and come straight back down.

I would much rather see us play non league local teams than playing a moderate team from Holland who are barely top flight class, as it won't be a real test and it won't draw many fans, except the odd couple of hundred who seem obsessed by this Willem II love in.

If you handed a flyer to all fans at Ashton Gate at a home game, I doubt anymore than 3000 would tick the box that they even knew a single player who plays for Willem II or that they would go to a friendly if we played them.

I seriously don't get the Willem II love in with Bristol City fans. Realistically Willem II aren't even a big side in Holland and if we were to go out there for a friendly, the only way it would work is if we played 1 or 2 other teams as well, which would be unlikely.

If we played Willem II at Ashton Gate , it wouldn't be the draw Ajax was that's for sure, and there would probably be 5000 tops there. Willem II have now been promoted back to the top flight but they will be the whipping boys in that league and come straight back down.

I would much rather see us play non league local teams than playing a moderate team from Holland who are barely top flight class, as it won't be a real test and it won't draw many fans, except the odd couple of hundred who seem obsessed by this Willem II love in.

If you handed a flyer to all fans at Ashton Gate at a home game, I doubt anymore than 3000 would tick the box that they even knew a single player who plays for Willem II or that they would go to a friendly if we played them.

They would probably still beat us easily enough.

Hope one day we can play Willem at the Gate and hope they can stay up in the Eredivisie this season :)

And if Bristol City played Willem II it wouldn't need Desert Orchid, Shergar and hundeds of woodentops on duty for 48hrs like Ajax did and no playing pass the baton on heads either.

A couple of hundred away ... Double it and that would be more than any friendly v Johnny Foreigner since ???? The Anglo Eyetie in Pisa didn't get that.

Played 1 or 2 other teams as well ... Yes a kids teams tournament. Learn how and why the Dutch invented total football and England showed them Graham Taylor and Carlton Palmer.

They would probably still beat us easily enough.

Hope one day we can play Willem at the Gate and hope they can stay up in the Eredivisie this season :)

We would not get beat by Willem II, I saw them play the likes of Jong PSV & Jong Ajax and Hesmond Sport last year who are very moderate teams. The second division out there is the biggest gift of betting over 2.5 goals in every game. All the teams have woeful defences and it's very poor compared to the top flight, which is why it's very rare teams go up and stay up.

Willem II would barely be league two standard and we would thrash them, it would be a pointless exercise.

Teams, like PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord, Twente, Go Ahead Eagles, Zwolle & Vitesse will end up putting 4 or 5 past them every week this year. Willem II start their campaign on 10th Aug at home to PSV, which will be a bloodbath.

Overs in any of their games this year will be buying money and whilst there is only 34 games in a season out there, I would be amazed if Willem II got anymore than 25pts this year.

They will go down and be replaced by Roda JC who will absolutely walk the 2nd division this year. They have a very promising young squad and were desperately unlucky to get relegated, they will bounce straight back and then stay up.

We would not get beat by Willem II, I saw them play the likes of Jong PSV & Jong Ajax and Hesmond Sport last year who are very moderate teams. The second division out there is the biggest gift of betting over 2.5 goals in every game. All the teams have woeful defences and it's very poor compared to the top flight, which is why it's very rare teams go up and stay up.

Willem II would barely be league two standard and we would thrash them, it would be a pointless exercise.

Teams, like PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord, Twente, Go Ahead Eagles, Zwolle & Vitesse will end up putting 4 or 5 past them every week this year. Willem II start their campaign on 10th Aug at home to PSV, which will be a bloodbath.

Overs in any of their games this year will be buying money and whilst there is only 34 games in a season out there, I would be amazed if Willem II got anymore than 25pts this year.

They will go down and be replaced by Roda JC who will absolutely walk the 2nd division this year. They have a very promising young squad and were desperately unlucky to get relegated, they will bounce straight back and then stay up.

People were saying we wouldn't get beat by Rangers as well....

And honestly League 2 standard?? Laughable comment. Looking at that league they have a fairly decent chance of staying up through the relegation playoffs, Dordrecht are probably the weakest side in the league and one is automatically relegated.

And 5 goals conceded every week? Will they be conceding 100+ goals then? :facepalm:

If a match was played in Tilburg it would not be exactly hard to surpass the numbers who have attended friendlies in Botswana, Latvia, Portugal and Sweden. City were sparsely supported. More go to Tilburg from Bristol than are going to Citys occassional friendly matches in Europe. There is a unusual situation there presenting itself waiting to be joined up.

If played on Willem II's Kingsday it may stimulate ideas for Citys open day which has lessened in significance yearly.

Absolutely. Sod the positive PR amongst both sets of fans, sod the chance to build relations in Holland and a chance to build a network there through another club, the Easyjet flight and cost of a night or 2's hotel is a rip off. Let's just go to Botswana again next year, that is much more logical.

Absolutely. Sod the positive PR amongst both sets of fans, sod the chance to build relations in Holland and a chance to build a network there through another club, the Easyjet flight and cost of a night or 2's hotel is a rip off. Let's just go to Botswana again next year, that is much more logical.

I think its more that fans of both clubs have grown an affiliation over the last 8 years or so (how I do not know!?) and it would be a good thing to carry it on and have the team involved in a friendly. Did we not play them in a pre season game before or have I made that up? You can trust a good otib negative moaner to turn something positive into negative, I hope Willem fans don't read this and have their views of us tainted.  

You say it wont be a real test, but playing friendlies every season against the usual shower of local sides rapidly loses its appeal....and very rarely tests us.

Your also right, it wouldn't sell out the Gate.....but in a day and age where the money men rule football, and where football is just seen as a business....would it not be great to host something or attend something that would bring two different sets of football fans together....as well as uniting two towns/Cities.....and actually enjoy some kind of celebration?

......its ok though.....Botswana tours are will benefit us so much more :dunno:

(Un)fortunately I am reading this post.... Kachina I would like to make some remarks on the points you made.

first: You mention you rather would like to play against Zwolle or Go Ahead Eagles then Willem II. A few years ago these two teams played for many years in the 2nd league. And yes, they are an example for Willem II how to stay in the Eredivise.

second: you State that Willem II playing against PSV will be a bloodbath. May I remind you to the last game when we played against PSV away, when we lead 0-2 untill 20 minutes before the end? And yes we lost that game with 3-2, but what a nice evening we had with 200 supporters aginst 35.000 and a budget of Willem II being equal to the average value of one player of PSV...

Third: we played against Saint Etienne last week, who ended 4th in the premier league in France. Lead with 2-0. Half time 2-2 and ended in a lost game with 2-5 also due to a red card.

Last, but not least: we played against Roda JC, which according to you will promote back to the eredivisie without a doubt in a pre season match two weeks ago in which we won 1-0 and well deserved....

Yes we will have a difficult year in the eredivisie with a small budget, but we are confident that we will stay in the eredivisie. And when we will play against BCFC, and yes we will play against them, I think it will be a close game in which BCFC can learn a lot of things, not only on the pitch itself but also outside the stadium. our kingsday is a binding day, also for the youngsters and BCFC can take some things from that day back to England (just have a look how pride the players are to play for Willem II and now they interact with the supporters). Beside that it will be a nice day with supporters together!!!

All in all I do see a lot of positiv things coming from a match between to clubs which are connected through a lot of their supporters.

(Un)fortunately I am reading this post.... Kachina I would like to make some remarks on the points you made.

first: You mention you rather would like to play against Zwolle or Go Ahead Eagles then Willem II. A few years ago these two teams played for many years in the 2nd league. And yes, they are an example for Willem II how to stay in the Eredivise.

Agree they set a fine example to a lot of clubs, and I do not wish you ill thoughts, it's just when a English club hosts or attends friendlies against foreign teams, in order for it to suit financially to a club, there has to be a lure of excitement to sell tickets, of which bar the few hundred who have yielded this association with Willem II it isn't enough to pay around 100k in the clubs finances to arrange a friendly. If there were a tour in Holland with 2 or 3 other clubs drafted in over 2 weeks, hopefully with one of the big clubs involved it would financially make more appeal, but an individual friendly I can't see BCFC arranging as it would be a financial lost. Go Ahead Eagles are one of the most promising teams in the Eredivsie and expect them to be competing this year. Their group of young players started to turn heads last season and they are a properly run club who have been improving no end the past 3 years.

second: you State that Willem II playing against PSV will be a bloodbath. May I remind you to the last game when we played against PSV away, when we lead 0-2 untill 20 minutes before the end? And yes we lost that game with 3-2, but what a nice evening we had with 200 supporters aginst 35.000 and a budget of Willem II being equal to the average value of one player of PSV...

Willem II have always done okay in scoring, but their defence is shocking, they would be boosted to have a defence of Fontaine and Damian Stewart ! The PSV showed that, although 3-2 defeats should not be discarded. That said PSV have improved since unlike Willem II whose scoring ability rather defensive duties got them promoted and they will be in for a few shocks this season unless they toughen up.

Third: we played against Saint Etienne last week, who ended 4th in the premier league in France. Lead with 2-0. Half time 2-2 and ended in a lost game with 2-5 also due to a red card.

Again defence ! St Etienne are also not prolific scorers, kings of the 1-0 in France, shipping 5 surely must worry you as a fan ? If a team like St Etienne can put past five past you, God help you against Vitesse and Feyenoord , who might just fancy a cricket score !

Last, but not least: we played against Roda JC, which according to you will promote back to the eredivisie without a doubt in a pre season match two weeks ago in which we won 1-0 and well deserved....

I was lucky enough to watch this game and it was boring as they come, but your goal was a good one. However like most early friendlies both teams looked there for a kick about and both teams made lots of changes and the result didn't look important to either side. I think the standard between the top flight and the next flight is so vast, that most teams dropping down , can come straight back up, but find it hard to keep their position in the top flight due to the budgets being massively different and with a defence like Willem II's in the top division, as said the overs will be buying money a lot this year and staying up will be a major struggle. Roda JC have kept 90% of the squad which were unlucky to come down. They were full of youngsters and inherited 9 injuries to first team playings after 20 games, and at that point looked safe, still 2 first teamers are injured, but 7 of their best players weren't even fit when thrusted into the final 2 games of the season but desperately needed points, and actually a couple picked up further injuries. The Roda JC first team that performed so well until weeks 14-16 , would have been safely a mid table outfit in the top flight. They are not even back to full strength now, with 4 of their main 9 players still injured and the 5 back from injury, only 2 featured in the Willem II game, and other 3 just had cameo's off the bench. Roda won't be back to full strength until September, as 3 players are nearing a return, but the current team should still do okay in the 2nd division but come the end of September, they will turn on the style. The worry could be that NEC could already have 7-8pts on them by now, but if Roda are in the top 6 by October, then they'll walk the league. 11/4 for them to get promoted this season is about as good a bet as you'll ever find in football. Injuries prevented they won't be relegated when then go up.

Yes we will have a difficult year in the eredivisie with a small budget, but we are confident that we will stay in the eredivisie. And when we will play against BCFC, and yes we will play against them, I think it will be a close game in which BCFC can learn a lot of things, not only on the pitch itself but also outside the stadium. our kingsday is a binding day, also for the youngsters and BCFC can take some things from that day back to England (just have a look how pride the players are to play for Willem II and now they interact with the supporters). Beside that it will be a nice day with supporters together!!!

For those reason's it could be a different type of game, but financially I'm not sure BCFC will go for it unless it was some part of a tour, as it will be an expensive fixture of which it won't be a huge test and ticket sales probably wouldn't cover the costs. I wish you well in a tough season and hope for your fans you stay up, but the 3/1 Unibet offered about you getting relegated looked absolute printing money for me, and have gone in quite heavy. The disadvantage with the relegation system out there is one goes down, and then there is a relegation playoff and realistically you'll face either Roda or NEC in that so survival will be tough as you already know.

All in all I do see a lot of positiv things coming from a match between to clubs which are connected through a lot of their supporters.

How big is the following in Willem II towards City ? Would I be right in saying there is probably around 1000 tops from both sides ? Personally think a Fans game would be the way forward, as can't see the club committing to something that would be a financial loss. BCFC isn't run like that anymore, which in my opinion is why the game didn't take place this year. Nothing to do with timings or anything, it was purely a financial decision. 

Kachina, I don't think the supporters request is based on what's best for pre-season entertainment re fans, or even praparation - Portishead and Botswana make that null an void anyway.

It is requested because healthy relations have been laid down between our supporters and their's.

Dave L was on here a couple of years ago asking how to bridge the gap between club and supporters. Well this is a perfect example of how the club could help do just that but they are showing unwilling.

Kachina, first of all you are factually wrong about Saint Etienne, they are not the kings of the 1-0 scoreline... only in 5 fixtures. Last season Lille and Nice had more and also Saint Etienne had scored the third most in the Ligue 1 behind PSG and Monaco.

Secondly you say financially City wouldn't go for it because there wouldn't be a big crowd.. fine but so what? City have played home friendlies Antwerp, Blackpool, Reading in recent memory where the crowd was quite low.. We were going to play Dundee United this season which until it was cancelled, that would not have been much of a draw either lets be honest.

Like someone posted, its about forging relationships with another club, its fans and a footballing culture.

Interesting debates. I won't be the only one to be tuning into the Dutch games on Sky this season then.

I don't think GAE will be up there, perhaps 5th-7th but can't seem them pulling up any trees.

Have Vitesse retained any of their Chelsea loaners? I know the prolific guy has gone to Germany.

Kachina are you Dutch? Since the match between Willem II and Roda JC was not broadcasted... And as stated by other people before, call me ignorent, but I think football is not only about the money. It is also bonding with your club and fellow supporters and having friends abroad with supporters of other clubs.

To get back to Andy who started this topic: Yes MC Apster is a guy who we like to see coming to the stadium. He has a very good personal bond with some of the players. Some of them even went on holiday to Ibiza because of that (including our head sponsor). During the celebrations after our championship MC Apster was the guy who announced our players to come on stage in front of 20.000 supporters.

This is a ****** good idea. Meeting other clubs and their supporters is a win win for all of us...City fans are also fans of Willem II, Fans from that Belgie Antwerp?,   Sparta Prag and one of the Warsaw sides have been on yer, and there are a few of us who are Borussia Dortmund fans n all...all this plus Scottish, Swedish, Danish supporters who presumably support one of their local sides.

My inlaws are all Scottish, and I go there regularly and there at LEAST four City fans in Dundee, excluding the outlaws (Who I persuaded to become City fans, as well as their team Dundee)

We are not to big too ignore other teams/clubs/fans. Bring it on.. Good luck to Willem II, Borussia Dortmund and Dundee, who like Willem II are back in the top flight, with Paul Hartley as their manager..

Archived