IGNORED

Willem II

willem ii

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think this will highlight how little interest there actually is in this. 

Don’t get me wrong - it’s nice that a few people have forged this unofficial bond between the 2 sets of fans - but thoughts that it will be some massively anticipated fixture, beyond a couple of hundred people involved, are misgudged, imho. 

From previous threads. 
Yes, I’d agree that those with an interest would mean that their involvement would mean more than the usual attending an away fixture. 
I’d think that if it were at Ashton Gate, then it would be the usual sort of attendance for any other low profile pre-season friendly. 
Probably about 6k..? 

Look, you’re obviously one of those keen to see this happen. 
My point is that the vast majority just don’t care. Most aren’t even really aware of it. 

Im certainly not bothered and any fixture between the 2 clubs would not interest or excite me an any way, more than any other friendly fixture. 

I don’t know the ins and outs, so I’m not best placed to give any insight,

You think you do.

With respect you feel you can speak on behalf of an entire fan base and make unequivocal points.

You then give scant regard for others opinions, opinions that are informed.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Apologies, I didn’t realise the relationship between two sets of fans from different countries meant so much to you.

I hope it’s everything you dreamed of.

Rude.

You were making a point about riot.

Anybody who can sincerely (?) post that does have a poor understanding of the fan relationship. 

27 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You think you do.

With respect you feel you can speak on behalf of an entire fan base and make unequivocal points.

You then give scant regard for others opinions, opinions that are informed.

I’ve not spoken on anyone else’s behalf. I’ve given my view and opinion. 

I’ve acknowledged that some people really enjoy the “relationship” between the fans, but pointed out that it appears to be limited to a few hundred fans from each club. 
I’m not sure what suggests that is way off the mark..? 

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Rude.

You were making a point about riot.

Anybody who can sincerely (?) post that does have a poor understanding of the fan relationship. 

It was a joke!

This probably represents about 1% of our fan base. I bet most of Ashton Gate wouldn’t even know Willem even existing, let alone this “relationship” that apparently means a lot to the odd few.

2 hours ago, BS32 Robin said:

Hi there

So I’m checking my Twitter feed and something comes up about a match played today where City won against Dutch side Wilhelm II Tilburg in a mid-season friendly earlier today.

I just wondered - where was it?  Was it played behind closed doors?  I’m just very confused.

It was a Twitter game of connect 4. Or was this a whoosh?

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Apologies, I didn’t realise the relationship between two sets of fans from different countries meant so much to you.

I hope it’s everything you dreamed of.

Yes it is. Several of my best memories are with them. In the 21st century two different countries means nothing and we speak to some Tilburg lads daily.

I can assure you and BarBS3 that a surprising majority of the fan base is enamoured by our two clubs friendship and other fan bases are quite jealous of it.

You may feel left out not being a part of the apparent few hundred, however I’ve spoken to both English and Dutch fans who have travelled over without knowing anyone from the core groups just to experience it and they have always loved it.

This whole debate is bizarre, no one is forcing you to attend a game that is very unlikely to happen and I can’t imagine why anyone would be so against a certain football match taking place because other members of the fan base want it to?

If this is the state of OTIB just one postponement in, god help us

54 minutes ago, STeveOELlis said:

Yes it is. Several of my best memories are with them. In the 21st century two different countries means nothing and we speak to some Tilburg lads daily.

I can assure you and BarBS3 that a surprising majority of the fan base is enamoured by our two clubs friendship and other fan bases are quite jealous of it.

You may feel left out not being a part of the apparent few hundred, however I’ve spoken to both English and Dutch fans who have travelled over without knowing anyone from the core groups just to experience it and they have always loved it.

This whole debate is bizarre, no one is forcing you to attend a game that is very unlikely to happen and I can’t imagine why anyone would be so against a certain football match taking place because other members of the fan base want it to?

I said something in jest and someone jumped down my throat about it. 

I knew of the connection, just underestimated how strongly a few of you felt about it.

Personally I think it’s a bit OTT/cringeworthy but like I said, whatever floats your boat.

1 hour ago, STeveOELlis said:

Majority of our fanbase is enamoured by it?

That's clearly bollocks, don't even think about pretending otherwise.

Nah James people who would never go to Tilburg to watch Willem II think its quite cool there are fans out there away from Bristol who have an interest in City. Its something to like. Those who dislike it or who are weirdly jealous are in the minority. That is not bollocks.

3 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Nah James people who would never go to Tilburg to watch Willem II think its quite cool there are fans out there away from Bristol who have an interest in City. Its something to like. Those who dislike it or who are weirdly jealous are in the minority. That is not bollocks.

I didn't say that.

I said that it quite clearly isn't the majority of our fanbase, or are you telling me that upwards of 10k do it each time?

Clearly there is a minority that are a part of this friendly relationship. But by claiming it is the majority you are lying to not just others,, but yourself.

For the record, I don't dislike it, and nor am I jealous. I just don't pretend it's some massive thing when it very obviously isn't. 

Looking at picture in post 556 and others to now fans who have passed on the few making snide remarks about something they say is boring or they are not interested in?? should wind it in. A friendly could be a good thing if it ever comes off. Doubt I would go to a friendly over there. City aint a big team so I think the link between fans is remarkable.

I may be wrong but isn't the link between the two sets of fans more based on the old school sort of post match fun and games involving punch ups and the violent definition of the "ultras" culture? And nothing to do with the family day out stuff. 

Everytime I've seen posts come up mentioning our supporters link to Wilhelm there seems to be a connection with the CSF. 

8 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I may be wrong but isn't the link between the two sets of fans more based on the old school sort of post match fun and games involving punch ups and the violent definition of the "ultras" culture? And nothing to do with the family day out stuff. 

Everytime I've seen posts come up mentioning our supporters link to Wilhelm there seems to be a connection with the CSF. 

I’ve been over 5 times myself, never been involved in a punch up or been a member of the CSF, but don’t let that get in the way of your blinkered views. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

You are indeed wrong

Lots of wives and families have been involved in both cities. 

I've never been to Tilburg but have known many that have and the welcome our supporters and their families get not just from the Willem supporters AND club is phenomenal. 

The picture of their equivalent of S82 with a giant surfer flag in honor of a well known City supporter who is currently battling cancer at a recent game tells you all you need to know about the connection. 

I've personally got to know many people that come across to Bristol over the years and made some great friends along the way 

I'm glad to be proven wrong to be honest and reject the accusation that I'm in anyway blinkered. 

I've seen very little made of the wider relationship that @phantom has spoken of but it does indeed sound great.

To reflect that side of it, clearly far more should be made of it. I think its quite possible a number of city fans, as I did, see the relationship between City and Wilhelm as being a relationship purely between ultras with all the connotations that brings. 

I've got a number of Dutch relatives and have visited them many times so I am very familiar with the country and Dutch hospitality. 

21 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Makes me laugh when this raises its head every once in a while. 

The vast vast vast majority of City fans don’t give a flying one for Willem II and couldn’t care less of we play them at Connect 4 on twitter or in a poorly attended friendly at AG. It’s great for a few hundred who fancy meeting up with their Dutch mates but quite frankly it’s getting a bit boring now. 

Has to start somewhere. This connection has been ongoing for over a decade now with no formal recognition, if the club bought into it properly it could be pretty cool. Then it grows and it stops being just a few hundred people.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Has to start somewhere. This connection has been ongoing for over a decade now with no formal recognition, if the club bought into it properly it could be pretty cool. Then it grows and it stops being just a few hundred people.

Maybe they will eventually buy into it but 10yrs of indifference (notwithstanding our victory at Connect Four yesterday) suggests otherwise, surely?

My Grandad 'knows' about the clubs being linked, he'll have no idea why or when it started, but I think a lot of City fans would've noticed the stickers/flags that there is a connection between the two sets of fans.

When I previously mentioned they were playing in a cup final he even suggested going over for it!

I doubt it would hurt scheduling a friendly vs them, I can't believe it's not been done already. 

56 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Maybe they will eventually buy into it but 10yrs of indifference (notwithstanding our victory at Connect Four yesterday) suggests otherwise, surely?

I don't know why people are so snobbish about it, some fans enjoy a relationship between the two clubs and want the club to take it more seriously so others can enjoy it too. I can't really see anything not to like. They're a decent standard too, it's not like the club wouldn't learn anything from it.

Just let people enjoy things, there are bigger things to worry about than to pour scorn on some Bristol City fans valuing a relationship with Willem II and thinking it could grow if the club took it more seriously. 

image.png.e2190811d2701e8a835a8b4a71cc2ba2.png

Some good news in this troubled time. Today the Dutch Football Association has decided that the current table in the Netherlands will determine who qualifies for the championsleague and Europe League. The club on the fifth position will be allowed the play in the second round of the qualifying rounds for the Europe League and guess who is in this position!   Yes, it is Willem II!!!!

So next season european matches for Willem II!!! Let’s hope that the corona virus will be over soon (not only for football purposes) and that the qualifying rounds still will be played, hopefully with supporters... 

7 minutes ago, willem ii said:

Some good news in this troubled time. Today the Dutch Football Association has decided that the current table in the Netherlands will determine who qualifies for the championsleague and Europe League. The club on the fifth position will be allowed the play in the second round of the qualifying rounds for the Europe League and guess who is in this position!   Yes, it is Willem II!!!!

So next season european matches for Willem II!!! Let’s hope that the corona virus will be over soon (not only for football purposes) and that the qualifying rounds still will be played, hopefully with supporters... 

Massive congratulations! I'd love to go if you played someone over here.

There is no debate anymore: Willem II will play in the qualifying (2nd) round for the Europe League. Therefore Willem II has published a very nice vid. Some background information: 

- The supporters of Willem II have adopted the song Bella Ciao and the tv series La Casa de Papel. They have changed the lyrics and translated it means We are not best, but we do not fear anyone.

- the main role in this vid is our Spanish midfielder Pol Llonch.

Archived