IGNORED

Mark "divvy" Saunders

Portland Bill

My 60 year old father is losing his fight against terminal cancer, times are hard - I have seen first hand what it puts people through. Amazing achievement of this chap to do such a motivational, emotional speech while deifying his illness - that is strength. I hope his friends and family read this thread and take pride from the impact Mark had on people he had not even met, as well as those who knew him. Thoughts with his friends and family. Rip.

My 60 year old father is losing his fight against terminal cancer, times are hard - I have seen first hand what it puts people through. Amazing achievement of this chap to do such a motivational, emotional speech while deifying his illness - that is strength. I hope his friends and family read this thread and take pride from the impact Mark had on people he had not even met, as well as those who knew him. Thoughts with his friends and family. Rip.

Mate, I really feel for you :( went through the same with my fantastic Dad who was 57 last year, feel totally robbed mate...

Keep your chin up, keep supporting him and carry on what he taught you when he's gone...

Xx

no apologies for the bump,

noticed in the evil post they are mentioning the great side of 54.. and mentioning one of the greatest leaders of men........

Sir Winstone Churchill......it made me think of divvy in a strange sort of connection

upon reflection i slightly altered the quote

Never on the field of football, was so much owed by so many to so few....

a true inspiration to everyone associated with the city fans, players, everyone who works whether paid or voluntary, r i p condolences to your family hope we can all be as brave as divvy if city get promoted it will all be down to that day when he changed that attitude of the players and we became a team once more

Losing a parent is one of the worst things ever especially if its far too early(mum at 58 :( ) but grasp every second you can (I learned this myself far too late :( ) Divvy himself proved a few months more is not out the question if you live life to the full and learn to laugh every day even if things look bleak. They never leave you. Chin up for you and your dad and everyone else who loves him too.

:)

The T-shirts are a great idea, so's the idea of selling them by the turnstiles, I'm sure lots would buy them on the way in.

I seen someone tweeted scotty about the players warming up in them, would be a great touch if they did.

Then throw them into the sparse (well, compared to the gash) away following after the warm up????  

• Admin

Love the T-shirts, shame they were not on sale last Saturday.

But agree would be great if there was a way of getting them sold pre Saturday somewhere in Cov

Not sure how they would feel about someone selling them at the tunrstiles, but sure they could be sold in pubs etc

Fair play to those who took the time to sort this all out

I'm sure I saw the funeral details on here somewhere but can't seem to find it now and I don't want to bother the family at the moment  I know its tomorrow and in the afternoon, but can anyone confirm the exact details?

Mark's funeral will take place at South Bristol Crematorium on Friday, October 17, at 3.30pm, followed by a wake at the The Cartwheel pub, Oatlands Avenue, Whitchurch. Family flowers only, but there will be a collection for St Peter's Hospice where Mark was cared for by what his family describe as a "fantastic team of people

• Admin

On a slightly different note - many may not be aware that a group of supporters from Willem are coming over for the funeral tomorrow which is an amazing gesture

But to top that they have already had a collection at Willem for St Peters Hospice and are also in the process of raising more money to contribute

Maybe some will realise how close the bond is between the two clubs now?

On a slightly different note - many may not be aware that a group of supporters from Willem are coming over for the funeral tomorrow which is an amazing gesture

But to top that they have already had a collection at Willem for St Peters Hospice and are also in the process of raising more money to contribute

Maybe some will realise how close the bond is between the two clubs now?

Is it some sort of mark of respect because of his past involvement with CSF etc? If so that isn't really the sort of bond we want to make is it?

If not seems a bit extreme/odd, IN MY OPINION!!

• Admin

Is it some sort of mark of respect because of his past involvement with CSF etc? If so that isn't really the sort of bond we want to make is it?

If not seems a bit extreme/odd, IN MY OPINION!!

What are you on about !?!?!

Are you really that uneducated about the link between the City and Willem supporters?

They are men and women who knew Mark, and as a mark of RESPECT, they arranged the collection for St Peters Hospice, and are also raising more before they arrive for his funeral tomorrow

What are you on about !?!?!

Are you really that uneducated about the link between the City and Willem supporters?

They are men and women who knew Mark, and as a mark of RESPECT, they arranged the collection for St Peters Hospice, and are also raising more before they arrive for his funeral tomorrow

Well if they knew him then that's normal.

Your post made it sound like we have such a strong bond, a bunch of strangers were coming over for it. 

But on second thoughts, if you know someone and they die and you want to go to their funeral, a football bond isn't even relevant is it which is why I assumed they didn't know him. 

Well if they knew him then that's normal.

Your post made it sound like we have such a strong bond, a bunch of strangers were coming over for it.

But on second thoughts, if you know someone and they die and you want to go to their funeral, a football bond isn't even relevant is it which is why I assumed they didn't know him.

Here's a thought, Maybe just maybe they knew him through the bond?

And with the bond being so strong they are spending a lot of money to come over for his funeral. Without that bond between the clubs those people would never have met

Here's a thought, Maybe just maybe they knew him through the bond?

And with the bond being so strong they are spending a lot of money to come over for his funeral. Without that bond between the clubs those people would never have met

Yep very possible. 

I was just clarifying my original confusion. 

Archived