IGNORED

Play Off Records

cheshire_red

What's our record? 5 participations: 5 unsuccessful participations: 2 Finals. Sorry to bring the vibe down. Think that's just about the only bragging right the sags actually have, even if their single success, out of 3, was in league 2.

Surely most teams records aren't great, though, given 9 out of 12 clubs a season are unsuccessful.

Taking the above:

Preston have participated 9 times (line 2), all unsuccessful (line 3)

They have had at most 3 participations without making the final (line 4, must be less than 4)

--> six finals (9-3)

They have had at most 3 losing finals (line 1, must be less than 4)

--> Three winning finals

which contradicts the first point. Therefore something is wrong in the list somewhere...or I am being thick

You've twisted my melon, man.

You know you talk so hip, man.

Certainly more blessed linguistically than numerically. I tried and tried to get my head around semblar's post and, Mr mask's has now provided another mind field.

Didn't realise the sags made a play-off appearance in the late 80's, incidentally. It occurred just prior to my debut appearance at Ashton Gate, aged eight. Learn a new thing everyday.

Certainly more blessed linguistically than numerically. I tried and tried to get my head around semblar's post and, Mr mask's has now provided another mind field.

Didn't realise the sags made a play-off appearance in the late 80's, incidentally. It occurred just prior to my debut appearance at Ashton Gate, aged eight. Learn a new thing everyday.

Yep, no idea on those either - only conclusion i can take is we are crap at play offs!

Just to make matters more confusing for myself, every time i try to think of Step On - Happy Mondays, i can't help but hear Groovy Train in my head...and that was The Farm init?

Taking the above:

Preston have participated 9 times (line 2), all unsuccessful (line 3)

They have had at most 3 participations without making the final (line 4, must be less than 4)

--> six finals (9-3)

They have had at most 3 losing finals (line 1, must be less than 4)

--> Three winning finals

which contradicts the first point. Therefore something is wrong in the list somewhere...or I am being thick

I take it to mean that the teams that have participated four times without reaching the final have NEVER reached the final of a play-off thus PNE would've at most reached 3 finals and lost the lot and 6 times have not reached the final. They are not included in the teams that have lost 4 times without reaching the final because they have reached the final on 3 occasions.

What's our record? 5 participations: 5 unsuccessful participations: 2 Finals. Sorry to bring the vibe down. Think that's just about the only bragging right the sags actually have, even if their single success, out of 3, was in league 2.

Surely most teams records aren't great, though, given 9 out of 12 clubs a season are unsuccessful.

We have had 3 finals vs Walsall, Brighton & Hull. I remember losing in the semi-finals against Brentford but for the life of me can't remember another....

Lost to Tranmere in that one I believe. We were playing cricket on the day of the final and were fielding, so our oppos kindly updated the score on the scoreboard for us

Suffice to say, with at least 6 reds in our team (and 1 blue!), when they shouted out it was all over then people were running all over the shop to celebrate!

Archived