IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Chesterfield Match Day Thread

My thoughts:  In short, good result, average performance.

Bringing on Burns and switching to 442 was shooting ourselves in the foot and our dominance only re-emerged when we switched back late on.  Burns was awful until the goal - I think we need to play him either on the right of a front three or in a front two.  Down the left he never wants to beat his man outside and left of a 442 he looked lost defensively.  But what a goal!  This lad needs to play because the things he does wrong only experience will fix and he does have talent.

Freeman was excellent as was Elliott but in both cases more decisiveness around the 18 yard box was needed, shoot ffs!  Bryan had a good game too, nice touch and provides good service..

Wilbraham and Agard worked hard without really threatening to score.  Ayling playing in the middle of the midfield for the mid part of the game did ok but needs more awareness to deputise for Smith there as a regular thing.  Little looked a bit off the pace, Flint was very solid again and Williams did fine - nice to see him get a goal.  Fielding was unremarkable but I'd still like to see him kick at the sidelines less often, it goes out too much.

I would like to see us either not bother bringing JET on or bring him on with 20+ minutes to go.  It is utterly pointless bringing him on at 89 minutes.  I was bemused by us not replacing the injured Smith with Pack as a like for like, the tactical switch was not required.

Chesterfield were a decent side ability wise who were a bunch of niggling cheating scumbags aided and abetted by the worst set of officials I've seen for a few years.  I hope they go down.

• Like 1

Sounded like we deserved at point. Impartial observers on Soccer Saturday had us as the better side for large parts. My fears that silly goals against would cost us seem to have been well founded though. 

I'm not sure about the 'cheats' thing that keeps popping up on this thread. Yes Roberts throws himself about as he always has (I don't like it) but we're a team in the mould of the manager - honest.

I don't like Cheatersfield, never have. Done nothing today to change my mind although they may have deserved a point, but cheats NEVER prosper !

I wasn't there. In what way we're they horrible cheating bar Stewards?

I thought they were a decent footballing side, probably one of our hardest home matches so far this season, but instead of concentrating on their ability they were constantly looking for a freekick, throwing themselves to the floor theatrically. Infact they wouldn't win any awards their attempts were very poor but somehow fooled the ref.

The ref at several points lost control of the game, our players were very restrained on the whole and didn't retaliate. He was constantly getting earache off the Chesterfield players, especially the gobby captain who also confronted the ref and Fielding after the game and had to be pulled away. I'm not sure if it was him who had his hands around Flints throat (brave man) in a confrontation earlier in the match too.

A niggly team, who don't need to resort to those tactics in my opinion. I was so annoyed with their antics I said deep into injury time that I'd love it if we nicked the game from them in the last minute, with that up popped Wes and the rest is history!

• Like 2

You just need to look at their players reaction after a Higdon challenge last week against Sheffield United... it was cringeworthy! Their manager obviously tells his players to over react and their keeper was time wasting in the first half!

They are a good team so dissapointing to see they feel the need for cheating! Their players dive in the box in the second half was disgraceful and how he never got booked was even more disgraceful!

He didn't have a great game overall today

Well that's putting it mildly. The difference between him and Joe Bryan was night and day. I'm a fan of Wes, but today he was far from his best, and as I said shouldn't be in the starting XI. A sub or on loan is the place for him at present. Let's see if he can push on from there first.

Well that's putting it mildly. The difference between him and Joe Bryan was night and day. I'm a fan of Wes, but today he was far from his best, and as I said shouldn't be in the starting XI. A sub or on loan is the place for him at present. Let's see if he can push on from there first.

Yes, Joe was in a position he has been playing all season and is very good at, growing by the game.

Wes has made the odd late sub appearance and then is brought on in a position he is not used to playing in.

I wonder why they look like night & day?

Cracking goal, one I shall remember for a long time.

You just need to look at their players reaction after a Higdon challenge last week against Sheffield United... it was cringeworthy! Their manager obviously tells his players to over react and their keeper was time wasting in the first half!

They are a good team so dissapointing to see they feel the need for cheating! Their players dive in the box in the second half was disgraceful and how he never got booked was even more disgraceful!

Wasn't fielding at 2-1

The last 2 home games , MKD & C'field took ages over goal kicks , free kicks and throw ins. Then moan when we do anything approaching time wasting, in fact wasn't Korey Smith booked (MKD) for it? Every stoppage they had slowed the restart down.... Hypocrites. 

As long as refs reward that kind of behaviour, then it'll continue.

Chesterfield were a horrible niggly side ,divers etc and the ref was too poor to get to grips with it .How the guy dived in our box wasnt booked I dont know ,it was either a pen or a booking . Their fans were very up themselves too ,loved it when we scored so late ,best moment at the Gate for a long time .

Edited by Mr Roper

Wes won't be going out on loan - or at least I hope he won't.

He's now the first choice replacement for both Wilbraham and Agard and unless we sign someone else we'll be needing him.

A 19 year old who scores cracking goals in consecutive games doesn't need to 'push on' by going out on loan - he needs to be getting extended substitute appearances for City, regularly replacing one of the front 2 - not bunged out on the left wing - with the objective of being as confident and match fit as possible when he is inevitably called upon to start.

As for comparing Wes with Joe Bryan - who I agree has been really impressive on many occasions this season - you do realise Joe is more than 2 years older than him?

• Like 2

Always fustrating to miss home games but even more so frustrating when I come on OTIB and can't make out whether we played well or not because everyone has diff opinions!

End of day still being unbeaten after 11 games including a few tough games shows me that we will hopefully be there for duration

Chesterfield looked very decent, and for long periods, for my money were in charge of midfield. However, I thought we stuck at it, and certainly had the better chances. A draw arguably would have been a fair result.

Cotts said he'd got it wrong pushing Wes on the wing, and was better when he swapped positions. Think thats fair. He never stopped trying, and it was a well taken goal. As several have already said on yer, putting him out on loan is not the answer, being played regularly is, and in his favoured positions. Wes was farfrom the worst on the pitch today. I felt the whole team played well below what we already know they are capable of doing.

Our passing in general was poor, we failed consistently to press them when we had the ball, and due to Chesterfields constant pressing, we made many many errors of judgement in passing. The back passes to Fielding given his poor kicking ability, frequently created problems, and the whole team became shaky. Chestefield clearly had a game plan to do exactly this, and it worked. Chesterfield are the best team Ive seen City play this season (Yes I do realise Ive not seen every team we've played, but of the ones Ive seen)

That said we did take our chances, whereas they did not.

We won and even playing below what we all, including the team, know we're capable of, we still got 3 points. W aint gonna win every game, nor are we gonna play well every game, but winning while playing badly, is the mark of a promotion winning side. We will play better and lose at some point. AND the unbeaten run becomes an additional pressure on the team, theyre only human after all, and lets be honest so far this season we've been spoilt by our teams passing, goal scoring, and general good vibes around the Gate or on the road.

I would however if I was Cotts sign a player or two in Jan, who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and impose the team on any opposition.

Key point the 3 points are ours, and we all know the team will learn and improve

• Like 2

Was I the only one when Burns came on thought 'what?'

As cover up front, ok, but for a midfielder, and then going on the left? Thought we then conceded midfield to them.

Anyhow, three points!

Couldn't understand that at all, I was too low down so struggled to follow the formation but the obvious change was Pack.  

We   struggled from then , C'field were decent in midfield and the change seemed to just give them more possession.

At least Cott's admitted it , and changed it.

Not sure if mentioned previously/seen by any others on here in the Atyeo - but shout out/props to the group of Chesterfield fans after the game that clapped us (both players and fans) off the pitch & out the stand, saying thanks for a great game and that we'll win the league. Not much of that humbleness in football anymore.

Not sure if mentioned previously/seen by any others on here in the Atyeo - but shout out/props to the group of Chesterfield fans after the game that clapped us (both players and fans) off the pitch & out the stand, saying thanks for a great game and that we'll win the league. Not much of that humbleness in football anymore.

Credit to their fans they were very vocal and almost all of the singing i heard to day was from them

Congrats on the win from Tilburg. Always nice for the atmosphere to win in the dying seconds of a match!!!! And did I heard the coach using the "C" word already???

To be fair to SC, he said that's our aim right from the start of the season. After the MK result and then again yesterday, I actually believe he's going to be proved correct!