IGNORED

The Best

Go Junior GO

I'd say either the one through Bangkok, where a market is held on the tracks and the vendors whip their stalls away 30 secs before the train rolls through (about 30 times a day), or the one in Peru that starts at the top of the Andes in a precious metals mine and descends to the coast in the steepest, scariest track on Earth.

My personal favourite is Temple Meads to Severn Beach

Actually Stoke does ring a bell but I just thought we went on a journey south.... I just remember the brick coming through the carriage window and hordes of home fans waiting for us at the station.

Yes, not saying we didn't have a special "south", but I'm almost certain that Stoke was the "Dunkirk" special. There was quite a bit of publicity about it being "vital" . It was dubbed Dunkirk by one of the (then) suits (was Rance still there?) and was taken up by EP.

We lost, 1-0 ?

Football Special to Blackpool, 75-76, 2nd div. promotion season.

Riotous 'high spirited' journey, so much so that when we got off at Blackpool there were about 7 City fans unconscious through drink in the buffet car. They were still there, in a stupour, when we returned 3 hours or so later. Inbetween we'd been marched, chanting, along the beach near the Tower, been pelted with glass bottles in the ground by Blackpool fans, the bottles literally smashing on the terraces at our feet, and City won 2-1, Tom Ritchie with both goals iirc. Strong memory of a sea of orange disappearing over the horizon at pace as the City fans exited the ground, then also rival fans fighting at the station right up to the moment the train pulled out.

Football Special to York 83-84 4th division.

No alcohol available on the train, memorable for a long, possibly delayed journey, and great support for City despite our plummet to the 4th division. On arrival at York station the first City fan who jumped off the train shouting, 'BRIIIIIIIIISSSTOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL' at the top of his voice was for some reason rugby tackled and dragged off by the police almost before he'd finished the chant. Seemed particularly harsh, and a long way to go only to be arrested within a few seconds. Great win for City, the now returned and still heroic Tom Ritchie again netting the winner just in front of us in the open end. Also got pally with a fellow City fan on the journey, still bump into him regularly at AG now, and reminisce about 'that York trip'.

Football Special to Blackpool, 75-76, 2nd div. promotion season.

Riotous 'high spirited' journey, so much so that when we got off at Blackpool there were about 7 City fans unconscious through drink in the buffet car. They were still there, in a stupour, when we returned 3 hours or so later. Inbetween we'd been marched, chanting, along the beach near the Tower, been pelted with glass bottles in the ground by Blackpool fans, the bottles literally smashing on the terraces at our feet, and City won 2-1, Tom Ritchie with both goals iirc. Strong memory of a sea of orange disappearing over the horizon at pace as the City fans exited the ground, then also rival fans fighting at the station right up to the moment the train pulled out.

NO, no, no ! We LOST 2-1, cashley ****** up in the last few mins. How much did YOU have ? :shifty:

NO, no, no ! We LOST 2-1, cashley ****** up in the last few mins. How much did YOU have ? :shifty:

I was only about 16/17 and probably didn't have much/if any booze at all. My 'riotous behaviour' was probably limited to waving my scarf out the window and maybe even shouting City related comments at the general public when we went through stations.  :shocking:

The match and trip I'm thinking of we definitely won, and I'm sure Tom Ritchie netted 2.

So if you're SURE we lost 2-1 in the promotion season with a late Cashley cock up then I must be thinking of the previous season.

I certainly remember those City fans who weren't either unconscious for the duration, or detained in Blackpool police station, were euphoric on the journey back, so there was definitely no late disappointment in that match.

Let's say The Memorable Trip to Blackpool in 74-75 then, fair enough?  :thumbsup:

I was only about 16/17 and probably didn't have much/if any booze at all. My 'riotous behaviour' was probably limited to waving my scarf out the window and maybe even shouting City related comments at the general public when we went through stations.  :shocking:

The match and trip I'm thinking of we definitely won, and I'm sure Tom Ritchie netted 2.

So if you're SURE we lost 2-1 in the promotion season with a late Cashley cock up then I must be thinking of the previous season.

I certainly remember those City fans who weren't either unconscious for the duration, or detained in Blackpool police station, were euphoric on the journey back, so there was definitely no late disappointment in that match.

Let's say The Memorable Trip to Blackpool in 74-75 then, fair enough?  :thumbsup:

The thing is, every thing you said about that trip was spot on, apart from the result. I know, I WAS on that train.

The thing is, every thing you said about that trip was spot on, apart from the result. I know, I WAS on that train.

We need to find out the results of City's visits to Bloomfield Road in 74/75 & 75/76. 

I would have been at both games, but only the one described above on a football special. It could well be I've got the season wrong and the 'football special' experience was much the same for both seasons. I wouldn't be at all surprised if City followed up a memorable victory one season with a disastrous late defeat the next.

Anyway as all this was about 40 years ago if I'm one year out I'm not doing too badly!!

Southampton away,in the old first division,got all the way there only to discover the game had been postponed.Train (football special,basically the oldest carriages they had)got absolutely trashed on the way back,about thirty of us then decided to visit our friends at the gasworks,who were playing WHU.Train journey was crap,rest of the day was very interesting to say the least.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Blackpool

Lost on both occasions, looks like you "dis-remembered" it !   :shifty:

As I remember Tom scored after about 3 mins, Pool equalised in second half, then Cash misjudged a long shot which dipped under the bar !

Grand national day 1976 was the same day,Rag Trade won to deny Red Rum a third win (which he achieved the following year) definitely lost 2-1 with a Cashley error, quite possibly the nuttiest special I've ever been on, the Dunkirk special was Stoke away

Southampton away,in the old first division,got all the way there only to discover the game had been postponed.Train (football special,basically the oldest carriages they had)got absolutely trashed on the way back,about thirty of us then decided to visit our friends at the gasworks,who were playing WHU.Train journey was crap,rest of the day was very interesting to say the least.

Old Bill wouldn't even let us off the train, as you say, quite a few decided they wanted to see a game of some sorts and headed for Eastville instead!!!

As I remember Tom scored after about 3 mins, Pool equalised in second half, then Cash misjudged a long shot which dipped under the bar !

Yep, I'm going to have to double check my facts before I post my memories on here!

To be honest images of the whole day are more locked in my memory than the match itself. Do remember Tom scoring though, and no doubt he deserved a 2nd.  :yes:

Looks like we went there 3 times in marginally over 2 years. Pretty sure I would have been there for the 2-2 in March '74 as well, any idea who scored for City in that one?

Yep, I'm going to have to double check my facts before I post my memories on here! 

To be honest images of the whole day are more locked in my memory than the match itself. Do remember Tom scoring though, and no doubt he deserved a 2nd.  :yes:

Looks like we went to Blackpool 3 times in marginally over 2 years. Pretty sure I would have been there for the 2-2 in March '74 as well, any idea who scored for City in that one?

It was the Man.City game that sealed our relegation, pretty certain about that.

The home match before was memorable for a pre recorded message from Gerry Gow being played over the tannoy appealing for as many City fans as possible to support the team at Maine Road.

Never heard similar before or since, it was the crunch game alright.

no it was definitely Southampton away on a tues night lost 5 2

83/84 York away I was there and 1 1 draw trev morgan scoring maybe debut

brighton away 79/80 was possibly the south coast one youre thinking about

Archived