IGNORED

The Darts Thread

Big Red Rich

Anyone off to the worlds this year? I'm going, will be my 3rd year running now, absolutely belting afternoon/evening out. Even better this year, were going to the darts on the 27th dec and then heading down south for the Gills game on the 28th, talk about a double header... In fact it's a triple header as I'm doing both afternoon & evening darts sessions!!!

Anyone off to the worlds this year? I'm going, will be my 3rd year running now, absolutely belting afternoon/evening out. Even better this year, were going to the darts on the 27th dec and then heading down south for the Gills game on the 28th, talk about a double header... In fact it's a triple header as I'm doing both afternoon & evening darts sessions!!!

I've been a couple of times to the Lakeside, for the BDO - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly, my youngest daughter decided to make her entry to the world right in the midst of that particular tournament, and my New Year lads away days are now a thing of the past.

I've been a couple of times to the Lakeside, for the BDO - and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly, my youngest daughter decided to make her entry to the world right in the midst of that particular tournament, and my New Year lads away days are now a thing of the past.

Choosing to watch the jobbers of the BDO is like choosing to watch conference football

Choosing to watch the jobbers of the BDO is like choosing to watch conference football

Not at all. It's a tournament that anyone can theoreticallly qualify for, with foundations in the game at grassroots levelvet, lots of international appeal, has some good players in it, is a breeding ground for new talent and is the proper world championship.

Easy choice over watching Barry Hearne's flying circus of Sky TV only mercanaries. Obviously they can poach who they want but the game would die as a televised spectacle if you only had the PDC. They are like some Premier League chairman's wet dream of what football should be like.

Not at all. It's a tournament that anyone can theoreticallly qualify for, with foundations in the game at grassroots levelvet, lots of international appeal, has some good players in it, is a breeding ground for new talent and is the proper world championship.

Easy choice over watching Barry Hearne's flying circus of Sky TV only mercanaries. Obviously they can poach who they want but the game would die as a televised spectacle if you only had the PDC. They are like some Premier League chairman's wet dream of what football should be like.

Crap.

Old men and women in maroon suits living in the past.

Alleged top players that can't afford to turn pro because prize money as barely changed since the split.

Conference darts ran by people happy to be in the conference who still think it is the mid eighties

BDO is at best local pub standard.

The local superleague around this area has a better standard of player

Always reminds me of a cheap Bullseye set when the New Year tournament starts

The "Lets Play Darts" shout from the announcer is embarrassing.

BDO is at best local pub standard.

The local superleague around this area has a better standard of player

Always reminds me of a cheap Bullseye set when the New Year tournament starts

Your local superleague would be part of the BDO and if the players were good enough they could go through the various rounds to qualify for the World Championship. The vast majority of PDC players have come up through the BDO.

Presumably with your attitude you think going to Ashton Gate is "crap" because you don't see Hazard, Costa etc on a regular basis.

The fact is the atmosphere at the Lakeside is superb. It's a great few days and you get good banter with darts fans from around the world, most of whom play in leagues in the BDO/WDC framework.

Is that right?

Scott Waits still plumbing because the circuit can't pay him as much. Jobbers alleged top player.

PDC bringing through plenty of youngsters recently. World youth title etc but don't let that get in the way.

BDO is a good training ground until you want to play real darts against top players. Those that win that sub world title and don't move over are bottlers who can't hack it.

If you want to watch blokes who's walk ons consist of imaginary dogs then stick with the jobbers want to see ton plus averages and fifty per cent check out then watch real darts on sky and itv 4

Is that right?

Scott Waits still plumbing because the circuit can't pay him as much. Jobbers alleged top player.

PDC bringing through plenty of youngsters recently. World youth title etc but don't let that get in the way.

BDO is a good training ground until you want to play real darts against top players. Those that win that sub world title and don't move over are bottlers who can't hack it.

If you want to watch blokes who's walk ons consist of imaginary dogs then stick with the jobbers want to see ton plus averages and fifty per cent check out then watch real darts on sky and itv 4

I have been to both sets of finals and the atmosphere is better in the Lakeside. Why not go if you don't believe me!

The fact is, the PDC has no grassroots organisation, the BDO/WDC has, so these "promising youngsters" will have been poached from the BDO. Without it darts would die.

In the meantime, we'll both waste our times watching "the jobbers" at City, when we could watch the "elite" in the PL, shall we...

Been thanks. Circus tavern was brilliant.

Ally pally not so much some times. Premier leagues is amazing.

Lakeside feels I need a kipper tie and flares.

Comparing darts with football is amature sums the jobbers though

I saw no kipper ties. That sounds like an "amature" observation, KMH.

And yes, the way you refer to grassroots league darts is exactly the same way the PL teams' "fans" down the pub deride Bristol City. "Mickey Mouse" football, is the one I usually hear.

Crikey, I didn't think my post would turn into this! Just logged back in to see the BDO/PDC thing done again. If you like the PDC great, if you like the BDO then no issues. Personally I appreciate both and would prefer a mix. I'm a huge darts fan and whilst I love the atmosphere at the ally pally singing kolo/yaya is not my thing. I think you find more genuine darts fans at the Lakeside for sure. In any case, all of the players I enjoy watching are at the ally pally hence why I go. Although the likes of Wolfie, Silverback, Scottie too Hottie etc would be good to watch. Ref Waites, I'm sure he said he didn't really want to go pro as darts was always just a hobby for him.

Wayner, keep an eye out for me again mate. We are at the rear of the first set of tables row H 2nd in from the walk on. Perhaps your mate might get on stage again??!

Oh and I have one spare ticket to sell at FV for the afternoon session on the 27th on my table if anyone is keen to join a few ciry fans (and one qpr!)

This gets boring.

I left a darts forum because everything turns into this.

Best players in the PDC it is the aspiration as is top flight football

That's where our owner wants us to go. It's not all right but it what it is

You stay in league one if that makes you happy. About the same as the BDO.

Bye now

I just object when Sky try to buy up a sport and take it off terrestrial TV in an attempt to force more people to pay them for their ******* dishes.

I was a big F1 fan. Since, it went half onto Sky I've lost interest. What's the point of watching half a season? I didn't even watch the BBC races. I no longer have any interest in international cricket for the same reason.

I refuse to be blackmailed into having Sky and I think sports are damaging their appeal to the public at large when they put themselves on it.

• Admin

Your local superleague would be part of the BDO and if the players were good enough they could go through the various rounds to qualify for the World Championship.

No their not, they regularly attend pdc qualifying schools around the country.

Like I said the local super league has a better standard of player.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure whether to laugh or feel sorry for you

• Admin

Crikey, I didn't think my post would turn into this! Just logged back in to see the BDO/PDC thing done again. If you like the PDC great, if you like the BDO then no issues. Personally I appreciate both and would prefer a mix. I'm a huge darts fan and whilst I love the atmosphere at the ally pally singing kolo/yaya is not my thing. I think you find more genuine darts fans at the Lakeside for sure. In any case, all of the players I enjoy watching are at the ally pally hence why I go. Although the likes of Wolfie, Silverback, Scottie too Hottie etc would be good to watch. Ref Waites, I'm sure he said he didn't really want to go pro as darts was always just a hobby for him.

Wayner, keep an eye out for me again mate. We are at the rear of the first set of tables row H 2nd in from the walk on. Perhaps your mate might get on stage again??!

Oh and I have one spare ticket to sell at FV for the afternoon session on the 27th on my table if anyone is keen to join a few ciry fans (and one qpr!)

Agree very strange reply above

Still stand by my original comment the local super league players ARE better than the majority of BDO players

Genuine question, I assume that you are aware many tournaments are shown on ITV4?

Many, but not all. And not the tournament the OP was talking about. As I say, I resist efforts to make me pay to watch sports that were hitherto free. You can do what you ******* like.

The BDO/WDC represents the vast majority of leagues in the UK and Europe, including the county structures at which most of the PDC players began.

Archived