IGNORED

The Darts Thread

Big Red Rich

I was going to go to ally pally on the 30th. Went to book tickets and instead of being plenty left and enough to order 3 only they had singles left. So me and the other 2 didn't bother in the end as we left if 2 days too long to get some.

I think both associations have a place in the world of darts.

Pdc split because of money players wanted a bigger cut and the players that did the split took a big risk and this was well before sky got hold of darts.

Phil Taylor summed it up perfectly when he said both associations are of a good standard, but the bdo is more grassroots and the pdc is now global and that's where the money is.

• Admin

The fact is, the PDC has no grassroots organisation, the BDO/WDC has, so these "promising youngsters" will have been poached from the BDO. Without it darts would die.

Perhaps you should pop along to Cafe 501 and see the youngsters coming through the darts school Steve Brown has set up, you will be pleasantly surprised

Perhaps you should pop along to Cafe 501 and see the youngsters coming through the darts school Steve Brown has set up, you will be pleasantly surprised

As Mr Tongue says in his post, there's a place for both. BDO-affiliated leagues are still really darts 'bread and butter', but no-one's going to object to PDC money coming via players to encourage young talent. 

I think we'd all like a unified structure back, but whether that's ever going to be really possible given the separate way both organisations are set-up, run and funded I don't know.

• Admin

Some people may be interested in a progamme that is on BBC4 at 9pm tonight called "Bullseyes and Beer: When darts hit Britain"

Showing unseen footage from behind the scenes of darts from the 1970's up to the current day.

By all accounts it is a bit of an eye opener some of the antics that went on in the early days

Not sure it will be showing MVG downing his usual concoction of spirits mid game, but never the less sure it is one for those of a certain age

Standard thing in this country. People don't like players/teams that are winners.

Actually I always thought him to be a bit smarmy, a smug git. Whether he is a successful sportsperson or a roadsweeper doesn't bother me, it's just I wouldn't want to be in his company. Maybe my gut feeling has now been justified from what I am now reading on this thread.

Nothing to do with him being a winner or not, so please don't judge me on what you have decided I think.

Standard thing in this country. People don't like players/teams that are winners.

Wouldn't say hate the bloke, just the auora that is around him and the fact Sky lick his backside all the time.

Fair to say without Taylor the PDC probably wouldn't be what it is today...

Enjoying the dart championship years on sky sports darts today. Roll on 7pm tho

Much as I like darts, some of them don't do themselves any popularity favours. Too many aren't blessed with the smartest minds especially Lewis, Chisnall and Wade. All three are painfull to watch when interviewed.

At least Taylor can put a sentence together as can Barney and MVG.

Really?!

Not into darts but got dragged along to an event in Vegas probably getting on 10 years ago now. It was about 10am local time and live on Sky although it was the early stages so not particular lively. We were towards the back on one of those long tables having a good few drinks and enjoying the entertainment put on during every advert break by Mardle who who turn around and start chatting to the crowd. After a while Taylor came out for his match and started the short warm up when a young 'un on our table shouted "come on dad" ..... after that, being slightly intoxicated, we ended up chatting away with his family who were great. Once Wade finished and won he also came to the back and sat at the table next to us and seemed very pissed off and aggressive for some reason.

• Admin

In the early 80's I went to an exhibition night somewhere in Cheddar, there had been a competion in a few pubs, with a chance to win a chance to play Eric Bristow, it was a great night, he was fantastic with everyone, he wiped the floor with everyone who played him, he was chucking out with 3 doubles, scoring all around the board, toying with people, but all in a fun manner. With one exception, one of the county players played him and Bristow played a proper game, then shook the blokes hand and said, "I couldn't risk you beating me" he had time for everyone, photos, chatting and came across as a decent bloke.

Archived