IGNORED

We Will Not Win Every Game!

Go Junior GO

I don't really get all this 'if you told me at the beginning of the season i'd snap your hand off' rubbish.

That's not the way to look at things. What were we, 9 points clear earlier in the season? Our lead has slowly dwindled away and a lot of fans have buried their head in the sand. 'We are still unbeaten' or 'we are still top of the league'. We were 3-1 up away a fleetwood and drew 3-3. We were 1-0 up away at Walsall, completely in control for the 1st half and the gaffer decided to let them come at us for the whole 2nd half. It was a draw waiting to happen if you were there. I'm concerned that we are not as ruthless as MK Dons or swindon. With the exception of the peterborough game, we rarely seem to want to kill off our opponents. The oldham game at home is a prime example. 1-0 up at half time then sit back and let them come at us because and I quote 'we had our goal so we let them have it'. Good job they couldn't hit a barn door that day. Everything so far has been fantastic. We have a great squad, the manager has turned us around but in my opinion we need to kick on now and start being more ruthless. If we drop down and finish 7th do we bury our head in the sand and say 'it's better than last year so I'm happy' or do we ask ourselves how have we gone from being so far ahead at the top of the table?

Absolutely agree. Goals have dried up with all 3 loses because we were unable to score. If when your top you can't score against the bottom team and get beat then that, in my eyes, is the time to be worried.

Not panic stations, but a few areas of concern. We are definitely not as fluent as early season, and a few sides look to have sussed us. Lack of options up front is very worrying, and all very well talking about signings, as long as they improve the squad. Not a time for doom and gloom, equally not a time for over confidence.

Glass half empty we lost 3 out 5, glass half full we won 2 out of last 3, its not what's been that matters its whats to come!

And what do you mean we cant win every game?? Cotts out!!!!

1 of the 2 was Telford Utd where we scored one bundled in goal.

The other was relegation candidates Crawley which took a last gasp goal from a defender.

You see the issue....

Cotterill is a shockingly bad loser isn't he??

Good for him. Too much " its the taking part" attitude in England that annoys me. I want to win every time I take part in anything. Quizzes, table tennis, tiddlywinks, scrabble and above all on the sports field.

He claims he is a winner and I like his way of thinking. I want City to win this league and next year to win the Championship. I may have to settle for less but I won't like it and sure as eggs are eggs, Cotterill will not either!

1 of the 2 was Telford Utd where we scored one bundled in goal.

The other was relegation candidates Crawley which took a last gasp goal from a defender.

You see the issue....

No I don't because for a start I was talking league games, nothing to do with Telford. Last 3 league games Peterborough Crawley and Crewe. Two wins out of three. Promotion form :-)

I don't really get all this 'if you told me at the beginning of the season i'd snap your hand off' rubbish.

That's not the way to look at things. What were we, 9 points clear earlier in the season? Our lead has slowly dwindled away and a lot of fans have buried their head in the sand. 'We are still unbeaten' or 'we are still top of the league'. We were 3-1 up away a fleetwood and drew 3-3. We were 1-0 up away at Walsall, completely in control for the 1st half and the gaffer decided to let them come at us for the whole 2nd half. It was a draw waiting to happen if you were there. I'm concerned that we are not as ruthless as MK Dons or swindon. With the exception of the peterborough game, we rarely seem to want to kill off our opponents. The oldham game at home is a prime example. 1-0 up at half time then sit back and let them come at us because and I quote 'we had our goal so we let them have it'. Good job they couldn't hit a barn door that day. Everything so far has been fantastic. We have a great squad, the manager has turned us around but in my opinion we need to kick on now and start being more ruthless. If we drop down and finish 7th do we bury our head in the sand and say 'it's better than last year so I'm happy' or do we ask ourselves how have we gone from being so far ahead at the top of the table?

BIB is exactly what I was going to say.

In recent seasons we have been struggling and our problem has been opponents too easily killing us off in games, but this year we are a very good team, but for a long time now it does seem to be a City trait that even when we are playing well and dominating games we rarely seem to kill teams off and secure comfortable victories.

In the new year, as the end of the season gets closer, the pressure will increase for the teams at the top. If MKD and Swindle are running out comfortable 3/4 goal winners they will not feel the pressure as much as we will if we are clinging on to single goal leads at the end of games.  More importantly, conceding a one goal lead at the end of a game has a much bigger impact than conceding a late goal when you are already 3 or 4 goals to the good. 

Perhaps it needs us to be knocked off top spot for the team mentality to change, as we will then be chasing the leaders rather than trying to hold on to top spot, and we might again see the football and results we were achieving  a couple of months ago.

It's been a long time since I've seen us look like we've got a win in the bag and I don't think the team drop down a gear cos whilst we're only leading by a goal the opposition are going to believe they can get something. Whilst we're thrashing teams 0-0- they usually do get something- of late. We've lost 60% of our last 5 league games- all late goals with the game at 0-0.

With MK Dons free scoring and it being so tight at the top, I demand a couple of 7-0 wins. Ideally against MK and Swindle.

A long time? Peterborough was less than a month ago!

I do know what you're saying though.

Archived