IGNORED

Liam Fontaine

TV Tom

Not surprised he's playing well as always thought it was outrageous the abuse he got when things started going pair shaped down at the gate. The rest of the team were a shambles but the easy option from the stands was to pile abuse on him and to be fair it started to happen last year to Flint and look at him now in an organised and stable team

Not surprised he's playing well as always thought it was outrageous the abuse he got when things started going pair shaped down at the gate. The rest of the team were a shambles but the easy option from the stands was to pile abuse on him and to be fair it started to happen last year to Flint and look at him now in an organised and stable team

Agree. The abuse Fontaine got during that period was nothing short of disgraceful. Yes he was poor and had been for a very long time but it was, as per, over the top abuse to say the least. For the record I was not a fan of his throughout that spell but he didn't deserve the abuse he got. He should have been taken out of the side long before it got to that mind.

It's good to see him getting some form back but I think in all honesty it shouldn't be that much of a surprise as the standard he is playing at is probably the equivalent to L2 over here.

This does not surprise me in the least.  The abuse he got was shocking, and those that did it should hang their heads in shame,  it was clear to see his confidence was shot, but that did not matter to the boo boys, who wanted their piece of meat, not only on here, but also in the stadium.

This does not surprise me in the least.  The abuse he got was shocking, and those that did it should hang their heads in shame,  it was clear to see his confidence was shot, but that did not matter to the boo boys, who wanted their piece of meat, not only on here, but also in the stadium.

Agree TRL. I have to say though even the abuse at here on times can go way over the top it wasn't anywhere near as bad as in the stadium during that spell. Absolutely disgraceful. I would be genuinely interested to know if there were other clubs that would have gone so over the top with it all? There is a difference to having an opinion with regards to not wanting him in the team, not rating him etc but the abuse he suffered almost defied belief at times.

Agree TRL. I have to say though even the abuse at here on times can go way over the top it wasn't anywhere near as bad as in the stadium during that spell. Absolutely disgraceful. I would be genuinely interested to know if there were other clubs that would have gone so over the top with it all? There is a difference to having an opinion with regards to not wanting him in the team, not rating him etc but the abuse he suffered almost defied belief at times.

Yep, pretty poor form by our boo boys.  I just cannot see how they are so thick/brain dead to not see they were the problem!  They will never learn though, same goes for Dyche.

Yep, pretty poor form by our boo boys.  I just cannot see how they are so thick/brain dead to not see they were the problem!  They will never learn though, same goes for Dyche.

For some I would say calling them thick is being far too generous. The amount of idiots that would be launching abuse each week probably couldn't even spell Liam Fontaine. I witnessed fans arguing amongst each other for and against him and it was just pitiful. McInnes hung him out to try as well which didn't help.

Indeed, I think considering how bad we were at the time it he was just an easy target for people to vent their annoyence and frustration at, which is prety poor. Alot of it was playground bully stuff and very shameful from our fans, especially some of the stuff that was being directed at him. Pro footballer or not, NO ONE deserved some of the vitrol he got.

Indeed, I think considering how bad we were at the time it he was just an easy target for people to vent their annoyence and frustration at, which is prety poor. Alot of it was playground bully stuff and very shameful from our fans, especially some of the stuff that was being directed at him. Pro footballer or not, NO ONE deserved some of the vitrol he got.

Exactly that fella. I do honestly wonder if there are many other clubs that would have handed out such abuse under similar circumstances? That's not just a dig at our 'boo boys' as I am sure every club has them but it makes you wonder. I think 'playground bully' stuff is a good way of describing it. 

The problem wasnt Fontaine making mistake after mistake after mistake and being to much of a wimp to handle it and the subsequent boos?

No, you may not have heard of the word confidence, when it is shot, what is the last thing you need?

Yes it is easy to call someone a wimp,and yes they should not go into football when they can't deal with it.  Unfortunately he is a human being, not a robot.  

Back to the Edinburgh derby,  an interesting debating point both goal scorers were booked for celebrating their goals, Cummings for Hibs and Walker for Hearts. Then Cummings later deliberately kicked the ball away but the ref did nothing and then Walker committed a late foul that would easily have resulted in a yellow had he not already received one and again the ref did nothing. It's like the ref, especially in Cummings case, is thinking it would be too harsh to send a player off for two such innocuous offences. So why book them in the first place if he thinks it's soft???

No, you may not have heard of the word confidence, when it is shot, what is the last thing you need?

Yes it is easy to call someone a wimp,and yes they should not go into football when they can't deal with it.  Unfortunately he is a human being, not a robot.  

He was also a captain and he absolutely bottled it. He bottled it so much it was obvious to the crowd.

He was also a captain and he absolutely bottled it. He bottled it so much it was obvious to the crowd.

On a wind up? He was never captain material anyway. Again, hung out to dry by Del. Regardless of being captain or not it doesn't make the abuse he suffered in the slightest bit acceptable.

The problem wasnt Fontaine making mistake after mistake after mistake and being to much of a wimp to handle it and the subsequent boos?

he didn't do it on purpose did he? He was caught in a vicious circle I went to Northampton (Coventry) away and yes he was shocking but they were just waiting to make a mistake so they shout at him!

At the the end of the game he came over to applaud the travelling support such hate that came from the stands is normally reserved for the worst of the gas scum! I.e holloway, Alexander etc etc!

I'd be interested to know how well the people calling him a wimp would cope if a few hundred people were yelling abuse at him whilst they were doing their jobs.  The whole 'they shouldn't be playing football if they can't handle it' is a load of nonsense.  Frankly I want City because they can play football well, not because they're able to smile politely whilst a few hundred people of their own fans shout abuse at them.  Aside from anything else, booing your own players is ridiculously counterproductive.   What's the point of doing something that can only make the team play worse?

Fans don't boo players willy nilly. Time is a great healer and I suspect many defending him have forgotten just how pathetic he was towards the end. He was almost single handedly costing us every game. I'm not sure I've ever known a city player to have such a sustained period of quite such poor form and for me is tarnished his time with us.

Towards the end we'd have been better off playing with 10.

Fans don't boo players willy nilly. Time is a great healer and I suspect many defending him have forgotten just how pathetic he was towards the end. He was almost single handedly costing us every game. I'm not sure I've ever known a city player to have such a sustained period of quite such poor form and for me is tarnished his time with us.

About to post the same. The performances he was putting in were truly the worst I have ever seen at Ashton Gate on a consistent basis. Not even Dining or Hunt were as bad.

I wasn't a boo boy, I never gave him any abuse, but I didn't, don't and won't defend him.

There's a funny Jason Manford stand up sketch where he rips in to fans giving stick to players. I tend to think of that. Football is such an emotive subject that people talk about you know you are going to get scrutinised and you know some lesser IQ folks, even a mob of them, may at some point dig you out if you're performances are not up to scratch.

Jees, it's like a model complaining about someone poking fun of her fat arse if she's just chinned a kfc family bucket.

Grow up, man up and have a word with yourself. If all else fails leave and start afresh.

Sure - personally I'm not defending him.  Merely stating the (self-evident) fact that, if someone's confidence is as shot as Fontaine's was, hurling abuse is only going to make him play even worse.  Which I'd argue is exactly what happened.  It doesn't change the fact he was playing extremely poorly, nor that he should have been taken out of the team far, far sooner or that it wasn't the right thing to move him on.  In fact I'd agree that we'd have been better off playing with 10 at times.  But I think the fans getting on his back didn't help at all and, if anything, made him play even worse.   And I don't understand the logic of fans doing things that make players play even worse for the simple reason that I really don't like losing matches.  Or being relegated.

Yes it is easy to call someone a wimp,and yes they should not go into football when they can't deal with it. Unfortunately he is a human being, not a robot.

Sadly, this is a football club in the results business, not a therapy group. He should have been rested as his confidence was gone, not consistently played where his shortcomings were be cruelly exposed.

I might add I take with a pinch of salty haggis how "great" someone looks playing in a league where Richard Foster was ajudged "superb".

I can't remember a City player ever being so unanimously turned on by City fans.

After months of individual errors and calls to drop him, Northampton was the final staw.

The 'boo boys' that day (what seemed like the majority) are also only human and Jesus himself would have lost his shit watching that embarrassment of a performance.

A pro on about ten grand a week, letting a high ball bounce in front of his goal as he did deserves a bollocking. Such neglect in most jobs would equate to a serious breach of professional duty.

That said, glad the man is sorting himself out.

Sadly, this is a football club in the results business, not a therapy group. He should have been rested as his confidence was gone, not consistently played where his shortcomings were be cruelly exposed.

I might add I take with a pinch of salty haggis how "great" someone looks playing in a league where Richard Foster was ajudged "superb".

Correct, I put the blame squarely at McInnes door for Fontaine's abuse.  Shame some fans could not seem to understand the problem....  Utterly bewildered the manager couldn't

Fontaine towards the end of his city career was awful. He shouldn't have got the abuse he received but we shouldn't of had to pay to watch him play like that. If only he passed that medical for Southampton. Would of mugged them off for 1m.

Glad to see he's doing well now.

Archived