IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V West Ham United Match Day Thread

The last and only time we have beaten The Hammers in a competitive match at the Boleyn Ground was in the 1977/8 season during The Alan Dicks era and last stay in the top flight. And we took the double over them that season.

http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/bristol_city/vs/west_ham_united/index.shtml

Assuming those stats are correct we have never played them in a cup game. I find that a bit difficult to believe but if correct I do not much fancy a replay; 10 defeats, 1 win and 1 draw is our total haul from their place while at The Gate it is pretty even; 3 wins for us, 2 for them and 7 draws. Two draws in the last two league encounters, home and away.

Of course stats mean nothing especially in the hallowed 'turf' of the majestically magical FA Cup.

The Thames Ironworks of the area was the backdrop to the nickname Hammers and Iron. The name West Ham dates back to 1186 when it was known as the slightly distinct Westhamma. 

After yesterday's remarkable defeats for Chelsea and Man City, the slight upset of Spurs' defeat to Leicester and Manure taking a wobble at Cambridge there seems to be something in the air this year surrounding significant cup upsets. West Ham no doubt feel emboldened now that they can go all the way while at the same time are under additional pressure that they too may succumb to lower league opposition. The gulf between our two clubs is not, in my view, that great and for sure it is completely and utterly wiped out today. 

If we turn up the result could go either way. And by turning up I mean giving them the usual respect we give any club whatever level they are at and not being intimidated.. much easier said than done. Steve will have them fired up and sort them out in their heads of that I am sure. 

I hope someone here will find a video stream of where we can watch it overseas.

2-0 or 0-2 .. that is what i thought yesterday. On the other hand it may very well be a free flowing and free scoring game with one goal in it. 3-2 to City? Who the devil knows.. hope it is a fabulous day out and a superb match for the purist. Live cameras and a very partisan crowd should make for a very entertaining and exciting match with some good football being played.

Its only a pity our capacity is severely reduced due to the construction but i am sure 13k will make some noise.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia

The last and only time we have beaten The Hammers in a competitive match at the Boleyn Ground was in the 1977/8 season during The Alan Dicks era and last stay in the top flight. And we took the double over them that season.

http://stats.football.co.uk/head_to_head/bristol_city/vs/west_ham_united/index.shtml

Assuming those stats are correct we have never played them in a cup game. I find that a bit difficult to believe but if correct I do not much fancy a replay; 10 defeats, 1 win and 1 draw is our total haul from their place while at The Gate it is pretty even; 3 wins for us, 2 for them and 7 draws. Two draws in the last two league encounters, home and away.

Of course stats mean nothing especially in the hallowed 'turf' of the majestically magical FA Cup.

The Thames Ironworks of the area was the backdrop to the nickname Hammers and Iron. The name West Ham dates back to 1186 when it was known as the slightly distinct Westhamma. 

After yesterday's remarkable defeats for Chelsea and Man City, the slight upset of Spurs' defeat to Leicester and Manure taking a wobble at Cambridge there seems to be something in the air this year surrounding significant cup upsets. West Ham no doubt feel emboldened now that they can go all the way while at the same time are under additional pressure that they too may succumb to lower league opposition. The gulf between our two clubs is not, in my view, that great and for sure it is completely and utterly wiped out today. 

If we turn up the result could go either way. And by turning up I mean giving them the usual respect we give any club whatever level they are at and not being intimidated.. much easier said than done. Steve will have them fired up and sort them out in their heads of that I am sure. 

I hope someone here will find a video stream of where we can watch it overseas.

2-0 or 0-2 .. that is what i thought yesterday. On the other hand it may very well be a free flowing and free scoring game with one goal in it. 3-2 to City? Who the devil knows.. hope it is a fabulous day out and a superb match for the purist. Live cameras and a very partisan crowd should make for a very entertaining and exciting match with some good football being played.

Its only a pity our capacity is severely reduced due to the construction but i am sure 13k will make some noise.

UTC

i believe we played them in a cup game in the 60s and lost

Up and about and ready in Thailand. Gonna be a long days wait for me, although a 9pm kick off is very sociable. Just wondering when to have the first beer. COYR :-)

now seems a good time, I haven't slept because last time I was meant to be going to a home game I overslept and missed the train to bristol. Instead ive been going through a fair bit of cider, kept me awake so far and I leave in 40 minutes Edited by City169

Morning all. Away in Freezing Prague. Fortunately Irish Bars are showing it so I'll be ok. Hope whoever is sat in my seat keeps it warm. Not sure about the result but I just want the boys to put on a good show and do us proud. Would love Jet to tear the Hammers apart and Luke F to show everyone his true ability. Be loud and proud, I know I will be.

West Ham will start as favourites however this has been a weekend of shock's so far in the F.A. cup so you never knowKnowing our luck though I think the most likely outcome is a draw and a replay which maybe on Wednesday 4th February[as we play Fleetwood on the 1st] just 3 days before the massive league game at F.C. franchise on the 7th.

This is a good point. A draw and a replay could be the worst result because that game at MK Dons is huge.

Looking back at the records we've never played them in the FA Cup but have had 3 League Cup ties against them in 71/72, 75/76 and 84/85 unfortunately losing all of them (the 75/76 match after a replay)

We have in fact played them once in the FA Cup in 1968/69 losing 2-3 at the Boleyn Ground in round 3 (our scorers were Skirton and Galley).

Havanatopia, if watching abroad there's a few tips on this thread ...

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/167160-exiled-fans-watch-live-on-sunday/#entry2174067

Now for the obligatory ...

Come on you Redsssssss!

Much obliged... think I have found a couple of bars that will have it.. bought the rights from the BBC it seems.. proof in the pudding of course.

Big occasion for the club. There will be 8m people watching so I hope we make a lot of noise and impress a lot of people. We're in the shop window and we have 27k seats to fill. Good opportunity to encourage a few more down the gate.

You are talking of UK or worldwide audience.. i would have thought a lot more than 8 million if worldwide.