IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Fleetwood Town Match Day Thread.

So the name Fleetwood originated by one Thomas Fleetwood who owned a lot of the land on which the town that bears his name now stands. He was a Comptroller for the Royal Mail.

Fleetwood, an altogether quieter version and escape from Blackpool had an interesting purpose until the 1850's by being the transfer point from train to steamer; a train from Euston would terminate in Fleetwood whence forth passengers would change to a steam ship for the onward passage to Scotland such was the fastest and most comfortable method to the west coast at that time.

Following the rise and fall of the fishing industry Fleetwood, for a while, became rather impoverished and has perhaps the smallest population of any league team in just 25,000 ? it is famous for producing Fisherman's friends and has some rather interesting architecture and well laid out parks. Worth a visit on an away day as some of you chaps I am sure can attest.

Fleetwood Town have achieved 6 promotions in 10 years in what has to be considered a meteoric rise up the league pyramid only a few other clubs have achieved. How sustainable the club can be at League 1 level with a ground capacity of just over 5,000 is an interesting thought but it is surely one of those clubs, managed to league status by our previous player Micky Mellon, that we look at with some level of admiration for their achievement. I for one wish them well and hope they have a run through to the play offs this season. As long as we can dispatch them today of course and I fully expect this match to be a potential banana skin unless we do everything right. Assuming we do a routine 2-0 should be there for the asking.

Freeman with a screamer and Smith with a bundled header.

UTC

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

So the name Fleetwood originated by one Thomas Fleetwood who owned a lot of the land on which the town that bears his name now stands. He was a Comptroller for the Royal Mail.

Fleetwood, an altogether quieter version and escape from Blackpool had an interesting purpose until the 1850's by being the transfer point from train to steamer; a train from Euston would terminate in Fleetwood whence forth passengers would change to a steam ship for the onward passage to Scotland such was the fastest and most comfortable method to the west coast at that time.

Following the rise and fall of the fishing industry Fleetwood, for a while, became rather impoverished and has perhaps the smallest population of any league team in just 25,000 ? it is famous for producing Fisherman's friends and has some rather interesting architecture and well laid out parks. Worth a visit on an away day as some of you chaps I am sure can attest.

Fleetwood Town have achieved 6 promotions in 10 years in what has to be considered a meteoric rise up the league pyramid only a few other clubs have achieved. How sustainable the club can be at League 1 level with a ground capacity of just over 5,000 is an interesting thought but it is surely one of those clubs, managed to league status by our previous player Micky Mellon, that we look at with some level of admiration for their achievement. I for one wish them well and hope they have a run through to the play offs this season. As long as we can dispatch them today of course and I fully expect this match to be a potential banana skin unless we do everything right. Assuming we do a routine 2-0 should be there for the asking.

UTC

Sorry to correct you but it was the Royal Mint and not the Royal Mail.   The Royal Mail didn't exist then.

Elliott for Saville I reckon.

I reckon Saville will play. Wade's looked jaded for some time and would no doubt benefit from a mid season break.

I'm pretty sure Cotts. signed Saville with the intention of playing him, and we can always bring Wade on later on if necessary.

UTC

It's at the end of the tram route from Blackpool and has the Fishermans Friend factory, which is bigger than you'd expect.

I wonder if he might give JET or Matt Smith a rest today and play Agard

That is a tricky one, and would depend on Agards fitness as much as anything. Personally, they have been doing fine, and unless they are saying they need a break, would start with them without a doubt, and bring Agard on from the bench if needed.

That is a tricky one, and would depend on Agards fitness as much as anything. Personally, they have been doing fine, and unless they are saying they need a break, would start with them without a doubt, and bring Agard on from the bench if needed.

Yeah i'd probably do the same, especially as Matt Smith's game doesn't involve expending a lot of energy (neither does JET's, to be fair!). One or two of the box to box players did look jaded against Gillingham tho, and you wonder when people like Korey Smith and Ayling will need a break.

Plenty of away fans in the robins. Not a seat to be had

Packed in like sardines then, no probs as long as they tow the line.

Their team will be done up like kippers later on..

Old habits die hard, expect them to arrive at the Gate well before kickoff, none of 'em will want to miss the exciting bit when the officials inspect the nets.

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Like 1