IGNORED

Gary Johnson - Sacked (Merged)

Bat Fastard

For those of you saying he should have been given more time, GJ has won only 14 of Yeovil's last 74 league games!

That is a pretty terrible record, to be fair.

But that stat doesn't really tell the whole story.

When he took over three years ago they were in the League One relegation zone with fewer points than they have now, and 18 months later they were a Championship team, despite getting gates of around 4K.

I'd be surprised if Yeovil next manager takes them to the same heights in such a short period of time.

That is a pretty terrible record, to be fair.

But that stat doesn't really tell the whole story.

When he took over three years ago they were in the League One relegation zone with fewer points than they have now, and 18 months later they were a Championship team, despite getting gates of around 4K.

I'd be surprised if Yeovil next manager takes them to the same heights in such a short period of time.

It depends on what players they sign etc. They've reached the depths that we had, but they don't have so much money to invest in players. They need to get out and find some good cheap players from league 2 or below and a decent manager. 

It depends on what players they sign etc. They've reached the depths that we had, but they don't have so much money to invest in players. They need to get out and find some good cheap players from league 2 or below and a decent manager. 

My point was meant more as a rebuttal to the quoted poster's remark about GJ's awful record the last two season; I wanted to add some context, including the fact that before that period he had managed to get them out of this league when teams like Sheffield United couldn't on much bigger budgets.

And what I would add to your response is this; no other manager has ever taken Yeovil to a promotion within the football league.  Yes, Slade got them close, but did so on a stronger foundation than they have now, or than the one GJ had to work with when he arrived for his second spell.  I think even the most ardent Yeovil fan will accept GJ has had them punching well above their weight, both in his first spell and now, even if the time has come for him to move on.

GJ, for all his faults (be they real or perceived), has an impressive record for Yeovil, all told.  I would be very surprised if any one manager will have such a positive impact on them as he has.

My point was meant more as a rebuttal to the quoted poster's remark about GJ's awful record the last two season; I wanted to add some context, including the fact that before that period he had managed to get them out of this league when teams like Sheffield United couldn't on much bigger budgets.

And what I would add to your response is this; no other manager has ever taken Yeovil to a promotion within the football league.  Yes, Slade got them close, but did so on a stronger foundation than they have now, or than the one GJ had to work with when he arrived for his second spell.  I think even the most ardent Yeovil fan will accept GJ has had them punching well above their weight, both in his first spell and now, even if the time has come for him to move on.

GJ, for all his faults (be they real or perceived), has an impressive record for Yeovil, all told.  I would be very surprised if any one manager will have such a positive impact on them as he has.

I totally agree but he can only work with what he has to hand. He was a very good manager for us too but there seems to be a pattern, as with most clubs. You can't strive for success and then become complacent when you get there. I don't follow Yeovil closely but it seems that they didn't invest/scout for decent players when they were in a good position which didn't enable them to consolidate their place in the Championship. Plus GJ's approach to management doesn't seem to help either. 

They need to go back to basics like we did, hopefully without relegation to League 2

I totally agree but he can only work with what he has to hand. He was a very good manager for us too but there seems to be a pattern, as with most clubs. You can't strive for success and then become complacent when you get there. I don't follow Yeovil closely but it seems that they didn't invest/scout for decent players when they were in a good position which didn't enable them to consolidate their place in the Championship. Plus GJ's approach to management doesn't seem to help either. 

They need to go back to basics like we did, hopefully without relegation to League 2

you can say that about every manager bar SAF and Wenger to be fair

I think that is unfair; he might fizzle out after getting places with the club he is successful at, but that can be said of many, many managers of varying 'styles' and approaches.

I don't think he got complacent at all; they were still in with a chance of staying up a couple of games from the end of the season, and that was with a team of free transfers/penny-signing.  Being that Wolves went down with Premier League money at their finger tips the season before, that is no mean feat in that division.

you can say that about every manager bar SAF and Wenger to be fair

Pretty much.

Well, whatever happened it didn't work. I was thinking more of his alleged bully-boy tactics, it will only work for so long with certain players. Perhaps he wasn't able to galvanise the players he had into winners?

Not really here nor there to be honest.  

Plus, is conjecture; you might have more insight, but all I've heard in support of that is the claims of folks who clearly have one or more axes to grind, so I'll look at his record rather than the rumours when it comes to how he does as a manager.  Realise a good number just didn't take to him here, regardless of the success he brought, but have no time for discussing such whispering, personally.

Soft-touch or raging mad-man; he took Yeovil out of non-league and first established them as a league team, before taking us as high as we'd been in a long time, before returning to Yeovil and reaching new heights there again.  Regardless how it ended; that is is some record; not many other managers can lay claim to such a record.

We had some wonderful times with GJ as our manager .He is a real character ,a sort of poor man's Harry Redknapp but i do feel that his approach limits the time he can successfully get the players working for him .

"My way or the highway "works when you're winning but if "My way " becomes the losing game then one is royally buggered.

Anyhow ,thanks to GJ for the memories and good luck for the future .

Yep and I bet he is very consistent in his comments about you, I bet he still thinks you're a ****.

Johnson is not a man who can take cricism and I was a serious critic of his management "style". I believe I was 100% correct in that criticism as his subsequent history has shown.

Archived