IGNORED

Gary Johnson - Sacked (Merged)

Bat Fastard

I see Johnson as a "short term" Manager. Great for a 2-3 year quick fix but doesn't leave much of a legacy. In fact he demolished the youth set-up at Yeovil so he could get in more players on loan. Seems to be the type that when things go wrong at his clubs everything seems to cave in.

He maybe stayed a little too long here, but we stayed in the Championship a further two seasons after he left, after he had us punching way above our weight for the first couple up there.  We didn't completely implode.

Plus, left Yeovil two divisions higher than he took them over, and they went on to stay at that level, and try and get promoted; hardly caving in.

And can't say he left Peterborough in dire straights; the club made the play-off the end of the season he left half way through.

So many half-truths and opinions here presented as fact; football is a results business, and Gary Johnson gets results.

Has he ever been relegated (genuine question)?  I'm not sure he has, and he certainly has a good fist full of promotions behind him.

He's a decent manager, and has done a lot of Yeovil.

And he whole closing the youth team thing is so over blown - look at us this week; having an academy doesn't stop our best prospects being poached, and how many graduates have gone on to star or make us any real money?  Not many.  And if that is the case with us, do you think a club with the resources of Yeovil can really afford to sink the sort of money needed into one?  We'd probably nick all their decent lads!

No I haven't blocked you or anyone.

The answer is yes I believe I'm right because I have been able to take a much wider view on GJ and his record and legacy ( what legacy? I'm sure you're asking)

Whilst I accept that under Johnson City had a couple of good seasons, I didn't enjoy either of them anywhere near as much as I'm enjoying City progressing under Cotterill who is a far better tactician, motivator and manager imo.

Blimey Robbo we are about to agree on something!

I don't think anyone can dispute what you've just written, but can you give GJ some credit for getting us within 90 minutes of the PL?

Blimey Robbo we are about to agree on something!

I don't think anyone can dispute what you've just written, but can you give GJ some credit for getting us within 90 minutes of the PL?

Like I said, Johnson gave us two good seasons but ultimately the effect of his one dimensional management "style" wore off ending in him pinning a player against the dressing room wall down at Argyle as he lost the dressing room.

No doubt his style of management wore off down at Yeovil as well.

Johnson won't appreciate that he needs to change in any way so he'll carry on in exactly the same wherever he gets another job.

We had some wonderful times with GJ as our manager .He is a real character ,a sort of poor man's Harry Redknapp but i do feel that his approach limits the time he can successfully get the players working for him .

"My way or the highway "works when you're winning but if "My way " becomes the losing game then one is royally buggered.

Anyhow ,thanks to GJ for the memories and good luck for the future .

Refreshing to hear a balanced, rather than a polarised view on Gary Johnson.

That is a pretty terrible record, to be fair.

But that stat doesn't really tell the whole story.

When he took over three years ago they were in the League One relegation zone with fewer points than they have now, and 18 months later they were a Championship team, despite getting gates of around 4K.

I'd be surprised if Yeovil next manager takes them to the same heights in such a short period of time.

But,he didn't get sacked for what he did 2-3 years ago,he's been sacked because of his record over the last 18 months.

Yeovil have an horrendous record over that time.

He maybe stayed a little too long here, but we stayed in the Championship a further two seasons after he left, after he had us punching way above our weight for the first couple up there. We didn't completely implode.

Plus, left Yeovil two divisions higher than he took them over, and they went on to stay at that level, and try and get promoted; hardly caving in.

And can't say he left Peterborough in dire straights; the club made the play-off the end of the season he left half way through.

So many half-truths and opinions here presented as fact; football is a results business, and Gary Johnson gets results.

Has he ever been relegated (genuine question)? I'm not sure he has, and he certainly has a good fist full of promotions behind him.

He's a decent manager, and has done a lot of Yeovil.

And he whole closing the youth team thing is so over blown - look at us this week; having an academy doesn't stop our best prospects being poached, and how many graduates have gone on to star or make us any real money? Not many. And if that is the case with us, do you think a club with the resources of Yeovil can really afford to sink the sort of money needed into one? We'd probably nick all their decent lads!

When Yeovil's centre of excellence was closed( one week after GJ became Yeovil manager).

Exeter City nicked all their decent lads!

Rovers picked up some others,whereas City showed zero interest in anyone or anything!

Like I said, Johnson gave us two good seasons but ultimately the effect of his one dimensional management "style" wore off ending in him pinning a player against the dressing room wall down at Argyle as he lost the dressing room.

No doubt his style of management wore off down at Yeovil as well.

Johnson won't appreciate that he needs to change in any way so he'll carry on in exactly the same wherever he gets another job.

No doubt we were left with a legacy of high earners under performing for too long. I don't think that anyone would disagree that

GJ is from the old school of management, I'm not sure that his style will be attractive to too many clubs nowadays, maybe he should take some tips of LJ

Whatever, he got us within 90 mins of the PL, and for that, I thank the bloke

Who do you reckon will be the next manager? Or who do you reckon would be the right type of manager?

Think that considering the situation they find themselves in, they'd be better off employing someone young, pretty 'green' but with potential, rather than someone to just try and steady the ship.

I don't know enough about the folk out there who might be available, but someone looking to make a name for themselves straight out the gate would make more sense to me for them right now.

Think that considering the situation they find themselves in, they'd be better off employing someone young, pretty 'green' but with potential, rather than someone to just try and steady the ship.

I don't know enough about the folk out there who might be available, but someone looking to make a name for themselves straight out the gate would make more sense to me for them right now.

Louis? David James?

2-3 years of of decent results?  Isn't the average tenure of managers in this country something like 18 months?  This is the thing; people seem to think that the way it ends is all that matters, but what gets forgotten is the difference the manager made on the way there.  

GJ took us from being slaughtered by Swansea in League One (as is) to a midtable team in the Championship.  

2-3 years of decent results from each of the subsequent Millen, McInnes and SOD wouldn't have gone a miss!

Louis? David James?

Maybe; I don't know.

Was thinking along the lines of a Paul Tisdale-type, but considering they've scrapped the academy I imagine I'd get accused of hypocrisy there!

Thought Mark Yates was a bit hard done by to go at Cheltenham, so him perhaps?  Probably end up with us lending them all out youngsters were that to take place!

2-3 years of decent results from each of the subsequent Millen, McInnes and SOD wouldn't have gone a miss!

Exactly.

Don't disagree. If a club in the lower leagues wants an upturn in fortunes then GJ is one of the Managers you would approach. But if I was a Chairman trying to build something long term I wouldn't touch him. What I will say about SOD is he took the long term vision on board but too literally. Cotterill has come in, is still working to the vision (younger players with sell on value and all that stuff) but has been far more sensible in progressing what SOD started achieving the balance between reducing costs and winning football matches.

When Yeovil's centre of excellence was closed( one week after GJ became Yeovil manager).

Exeter City nicked all their decent lads!

Rovers picked up some others,whereas City showed zero interest in anyone or anything!

City certainly have Yeovil based lads in their Academy now so at least improvement in the scouting network has been made.

GJ decided to go down the loanee route with Yeovil.

Eventually the quality of loanee goes down,you just can't keep running a club in that way. The club has been run that way for 10 years or so.

The only way for a club of Yeovil's size to sustain league football in the future is to try to produce their own players. Very costly, the only club doing it successfully as I am aware are Walsall, but they still have loans

Russel Slade started Yeovil's academy, it had been going for four years,it was just starting to 'produce' when GJ came in and decided he didn't want it. The plan was to go along the lines of Crewe,"the Crewe of the south" was the name given by one of the Yeovil directors of the time.

I never thought it could be that good,but given time it would have produced some decent footballers,I've no doubt of that. Directors not Managers make the decision as to whether there is an academy, it may have been GJ's wish but if so he would have been offered the job on that basis, not his decision. On the same basis Slade didn't start the academy.

I think Johnsons departure was inevitable given results, strange timing though. Whatever 'facts' anyone wants to write about him I doubt YTFC will ever have a manager that will get even close to achieving what he has for the club, despite working with a Board of Directors who do not have any vision for the club other than to develop some land to line their own pockets

Russel Slade did start the acadamy/centre of excellence in 2007 and it was run by Mo Hopkins.

My lad was in it when it started.

Russell Slade may have been the Manager when it started, but that is all, its a club decision. Slade may or may not have wanted it, it's not like he got on with the board is it.

Who do you reckon will be the next manager? Or who do you reckon would be the right type of manager?

It's got to be someone who can operate on a low budget.  In Gary Johnson's interview on BBC he said that one of the problems at Yeovil was attracting players with families, as Yeovil didn't pay much, and only offered short contracts.  This meant the plan was to use the loan system and try to find young players who hadn't quite made it elsewhere, but who might develop into good payers. This means two options:

Option 1 - an experienced manager from league 2 or the Conference with good lower league contacts would be useful as Yeovil may well be in league 2 next season, and it's possible to pick up players from non league who can do a job at league 2 level.

Option 2 - a young ex player just starting out as a manager who has the contacts to utilise the loan system plus the experience of good training and coaching techniques. He would work with an experienced assistant manager who has experience of lower leagues.  

Unfortunately, all clubs with limited budgets are looking for the same thing.  On the other hand, there are many ex managers and ex players out of work, who are desperate to get back into football.  

Robbo, just interested, did you do Latin at school, we had to endure for 2 years at ours. :gaah:

Me too. I was destined for Law at Oxford, which still required Latin in those far-off days, but I hated my open day there so much I radically changed direction.

Anyway, what CiderJaarn writes is correct

He has the sensible overview.

Johnson = good manager, but flawed man. Eventually those flaws get in the way of his judgement.

Archived