IGNORED

Anyone Read The Book...

shire_redz

Hey, I know this book's written by a Gashead, but it is a ****ing great read. Has anybody read this book? Can anybody remember the 70's especially games against Rovers. Did we ever take the Tote end? Were you a punk? Did you wear a sheepskin coat? ;)

Hey, I know this book's written by a Gashead, but it is a fooking great read. Has anybody read this book? Can anybody remember the 70's especially games against Rovers. Did we ever take the Tote end? Were you a punk? Did you wear a sheepskin coat? ^_^
yeah read it, but a good bed time FAIRY TAIL that's all it

is, some of them stories make the soul crew book seem true ;)

Guest bristol south end

I read it ,full of lies,they actually believe they took the East End one year and i'm old enough to remember the 70s and can assure everyone that i never ever saw a gashead on the EE,Cardiff,Pompey and Birm'ham yes,the recollections of the music and fashions of the 60s,70s and 80s made it an interesting read but like most hoolie books some tales are greatly exagerated,Rovers fans then really were the dregs of Bristol and were always miles behind in the fashion stakes

I read it ,full of lies,they actually believe they took the East End one year and i'm old enough to remember the 70s and can assure everyone that i never ever saw a gashead on the EE,Cardiff,Pompey and Birm'ham yes,the recollections of the music and fashions of the 60s,70s and 80s made it an interesting read but like most hoolie books some tales are greatly exagerated,Rovers fans then really were the dregs of Bristol and were always miles behind in the fashion stakes
Yeh, trouble is, if you read something that is sooo total b0ll0x (gas in the EE) you tend not to believe anything else either so why read it?

File under JACKANORY

Guest bristol south end

As i said, the authors recollections of the music and fashions were spot on but obviously his memory became blurred when it came to the action on the terraces but like all these books the footie violence has to be greatly exagerated otherwise quite frankly it makes for a rather boring and uneventful read

I agree with Bristol South End. its interesting from the perspective of the soul and reggae scene in Bristol. The problem is that all the tales are over exaggerated. Despite my forum name suggesting otherwise I was a skinhead in those days and yes the R****s did have some absolute animals,but they weren't that good.

They did get in the back of the East end on that ledge and then hid behind the considerable police presence and that was about all.

Every confrontation described in the book they came out victorious.This is incorrect as anyone from that era will tell you . In fact anyone with a violent persuasion will reluctantly acknowledge that they have been on as many receiving thrashings as they have given out. Not so Mr Brown.

Guest bristol south end

Well said Elv,i cant recall any Rovers fans along the "boot walk"i do vaguely remember about 1/2 dozen scruffy rocker types near the entrance who were to ###### to bother anyone and they were quickly whisked away by police all in all the gas were usually on the end of a hiding although you would think they were on a par with Milwall the way Mr Brown writes it

I agree with Bristol South End. its interesting from the perspective of the soul and reggae scene in Bristol. The problem is that all the tales are over exaggerated. Despite my forum name suggesting otherwise I was a skinhead in those days and yes the R****s did have some absolute animals,but they weren't that good.

They did get in the back of the East end on that ledge and then hid behind the considerable police presence and that was about all.

Every confrontation described in the book they came out victorious.This is incorrect as anyone from that era will tell you . In fact anyone with a violent persuasion will reluctantly acknowledge that they have been on as many receiving thrashings as they have given out. Not so Mr Brown.

Yes, circa 72 Glos Cup, they came in stood at the back, tried to run away when the City lot came in but were told by Mr Plod(s)" You wanted to come in , you stay" Hillarious!

Guest Silverfox

As with nearly of these kind of books, the action is made to sound better than it was or is.

Bovver, Scally, Soul Crew, Congratulations-you've just met the ICF, etc are all the same.

I can't understand why Andy Nicholls gave Rovers a segment in one of his chapters in Scally, 'cause as executedwolf rightly points out, anything concerning Rovers 'firm' is on a par with all the other third division crap! A complete waist of time!

Guest bristolbred

I was working nights and the driver who came to conduct my train was reading it!!. :D

He was a hard core Millwall supporter who was in all the action when it came to soccer violence!!. :D

Told me that the only reason the book was any good was the mixture of music and culture in between the discriptions of hooliganism!!. ;)

I think that anyone who writes about it and says that they beat up so and so, or that they did something to someone else would liable themselves to prosicution!!. ;)

^_^

Always remember the tote end lot as not having the slightest clue on the latest fashion, levi denim jeans and jacket, longish hair and of coarse the rovers scarf attached to the risk. Where as the City boys at that time would be smartly dressed sheepskin and all.

Remember Chelsea doing the tote end Tottenham, West Ham, Cardiff and of coarse City.

Remember too Rovers City and West Ham all scrapping in the tote, can't remember what year but about 30 city boys there.

Remember during the early eighties we played them at eastville, the night before the game a couple of city boys cut the chain around the main gate of the tote, in order to make their noisy entrance the next day. They did'nt disapoint either as about 1 minute before the kick off about 50 60 city boys came charging in, and belive me the rovers boys all ran like hell, it was so funny as only minutes before they were all closly bunched together singing their anti city songs, all of a sudden and i mean in seconds you could see a big empty terrece where they quickly vacated.

Whilst writing this i also recall sunerland running up both sides of the ground from the away end to take the poor old tote.

Even Southampton having a pitch invasion at eastville.

The memories and the stories of the 70s 80s are great and a time when security at football matches was a none event.

As for Bristol Rovers fans they were every bodies whipping boys, poor buggers

Guest bristol south end

I remember the West Ham incident,it was a cup game and city were playing away to southampton 100s travelled to s'hampton by train only to find when we pulled up at the station that the game was off due to frozen pitch and the OB would not let us off the train so we headed back to TM and decided to take in the gas/w ham game,lots of mayhem,also remember bournemouth playing up at Eastville.My earliest memory of fashion at eastville is donkey-jacket wearing long-haired grebos with tatty old blue and white scarves around the wrist they never did have any style and have always attracted the dregs and low-life of Bristol

Only time I remember any Gas in the EE was when City played Manyoo in the one season that they spent in Div2.

They were supposedly joining forces with the City fans against Manyoo, but even so, were confined to a small section off to the side, and took a few slappings off the City fans anyway.

;)

Guest Southville Red

Does it include the story where about 30 Spurs ran about 100 Gas?

We had some fun in the Tote end.

We had joy

We had fun

Had the Gasheads on the run

But the fun didn't last

Cos the Gasheads ran too fast

The take the EE. Never. :@

I do remember Rovers coming in the East End once, but certainly not "taking" it.

Night match, league(?), 72/73-ish , 27,000 crowd. Made themselves known after about 25 minutes at the top right hand corner up from the open bit where you came in. The city fans immediately surged from the middle and had them hemmed in in the corner. Quite a fight before they were kicked out by City fans and police, after half a dozen or more from both sides had been carted off. The City fans were definitely expecting them and overwhelmed them. The Rovers fans had 'made their point', but then had no way out. If that incident is what they refer to as taking the East End, then that's laughable. Quite nasty for a while, it was dark so the police couldn't sort it out straightaway, and the packed crowd was scattering away from the melee. The ear splitting rendition of "You'll NEVER take the East End" as the Rovers fans departed was the most memorable part of the match, which if i remember rightly was a tense 0-0 draw. Anything but handbags, shire_redz.

I was at Eastville after the Southampton game was postponed, but well out the way in "Jarman's Enclosure". Never realised City fans were involved in the Tote End that day.

Also remember when Cardiff were somehow allowed in the East End in the early 70's, scarves and all, and a couple of hundred spent the match, fairly quietly, in the open bit of the East End surrounded by ranks of police. No idea why they weren't chucked out. One of their more rotund fans got up on the wall and as well as the less savoury chants, had "Humpty Dumpty" sang at him by the surprisingly good natured East Enders, who were massed just the other side of the gangway.

Vividly remember Arsenal, Tottenham and Aston Villa coming in in the old First Division days as well as Man. Utd in the Second Division. Apart from Man. Utd, they rarely got past the open bit where you could tell if an attempted takeover was expected by the massed ranks of City fans forming a reception committee, waiting to 'uphold the East End's honour'.

A friend of mine still tells the story of how he was relieving himself in the East End toilet when dozens of Villa fans were chased out of the East End and took refuge there. He was stuck in there with them for over 10 minutes, keeping very quiet and anonymous while the police tried to clear away their persuers while blocking off the toilet. He reckoned he was in the appropriate place. :cool:

another good book is 'steaming in'' there is a bit in there where

arsenal came to ashton gate all cockey and attempted to take

the eastend but got battered, even quoted there saying a woman

was foaming at the mouth giving out a kicking :cool: this story

is by a arsenal fan so fair dues for his honesty :laugh:

Guest bristol south end
I do remember Rovers coming in the East End once, but certainly not "taking" it.

Night match, league(?), 72/73-ish , 27,000 crowd. Made themselves known after about 25 minutes at the top right hand corner up from the open bit where you came in. The city fans immediately surged from the middle and had them hemmed in in the corner. Quite a fight before they were kicked out by City fans and police, after half a dozen or more from both sides had been carted off. The City fans were definitely expecting them and overwhelmed them. The Rovers fans had 'made their point', but then had no way out. If that incident is what they refer to as taking the East End, then that's laughable. Quite nasty for a while, it was dark so the police couldn't sort it out straightaway, and the packed crowd was scattering away from the melee. The ear splitting rendition of "You'll NEVER take the East End" as the Rovers fans departed was the most memorable part of the match, which if i remember rightly was a tense 0-0 draw. Anything but handbags, shire_redz.

I was at Eastville after the Southampton game was postponed, but well out the way in "Jarman's Enclosure". Never realised City fans were involved in the Tote End that day.

Also remember when Cardiff were somehow allowed in the East End in the early 70's, scarves and all, and a couple of hundred spent the match, fairly quietly, in the open bit of the East End surrounded by ranks of police. No idea why they weren't chucked out. One of their more rotund fans got up on the wall and as well as the less savoury chants, had "Humpty Dumpty" sang at him by the surprisingly good natured East Enders, who were massed just the other side of the gangway.

Vividly remember Arsenal, Tottenham and Aston Villa coming in in the old First Division days as well as Man. Utd in the Second Division. Apart from Man. Utd, they rarely got past the open bit where you could tell if an attempted takeover was expected by the massed ranks of City fans forming a reception committee, waiting to 'uphold the East End's honour'.

A friend of mine still tells the story of how he was relieving himself in the East End toilet when dozens of Villa fans were chased out of the East End and took refuge there. He was stuck in there with them for over 10 minutes, keeping very quiet and anonymous while the police tried to clear away their persuers while blocking off the toilet. He reckoned he was in the appropriate place. :cool:

I remember the humpty dumpty chant to the Cardiff fan,hilarious,cardiff nearly always came on the EE,i remember one night there were 137 arrests,a record at the time for a footie match mainly because the city fans started that dreadful Aberfan chant,which makes me cringe even now,the only teams i can remember coming close to taking the EE were pompey and b'mingham,i remember the arsenal & villa games where they got as far as the gangway,a couple of smaller clubs i can remember bringing a few in were WBA,who were then chased across the pitch and believe it or not oxford! They were exciting days but i must say i am really glad that they are mainly behind us,probably due to the fact that i have 2 teenage boys myself

I remember the humpty dumpty chant to the Cardiff fan,hilarious,cardiff nearly always came on the EE,i remember one night there were 137 arrests,a record at the time for a footie match mainly because the city fans started that dreadful Aberfan chant,which makes me cringe even now,the only teams i can remember coming close to taking the EE were pompey and b'mingham,i remember the arsenal & villa games where they got as far as the gangway,a couple of smaller clubs i can remember bringing a few in were WBA,who were then chased across the pitch and believe it or not oxford! They were exciting days but i must say i am really glad that they are mainly behind us,probably due to the fact that i have 2 teenage boys myself

I remember that 137 arrests and a big thing was made of it in the media. Only about 8 were actually charged, a mixture of both teams. All the rest had been taken into custody when police blocked off a section of Coronation Road with vans at both ends and arrested everybody within when things looked like getting out of hand.

It was a record at the time but shortly after was beaten when there were almost 200 arrests at an Old Firm match.

This is rarely publicised because, as we all know, Scottish fans never cause trouble. :cool:

I'm glad it's mostly behind us now as well. It held a grim fascination at the time, but i was shaken many times as a youngster when serious trouble broke out nearby. Having been at the Gate the day a City fan was stabbed by a Luton fan before the game and the atmosphere of sheer hatred that went round the crowd when the news filtered out, i certainly wouldn't have encouraged my own teenage son to follow City if things had carried on the same.

More than happy in my seat these days - can't imagine anyone trying to 'take' the GWR Stand! :laugh:

Guest Southville Red

I remember that Cardiff game only too well. Copper gave me a right hander that nearly decked me. Still cinge at the thought of it now. :cool:

Also remember a time when about 6 or 8 Gooners walked around the cinder track that was aroud the pitch, walked onto the EE and all hell broke loose.

Too old for all that now.

Archived