IGNORED

General Election 2015 Match Day Thread (Merged)

Moloch

Sturgeon is the biggest threat the UK will face in the election not Farage. It's about time the media started to do there usual unbiased reporting and stitch that old witch up by digging out some shit from her past.

Entirely agree.

The bigoted SNP have campaigned about how unfair the UK is and they're right, however what they don't understand is that it is unfair on England, Wales and Northern Ireland and that's even before looking at the Barnett Formula. 

the SNP are forecast to get 3.5% of the nations votes this May, while Lib dems 12.7% and UKIP 10.4%.

However this, in our ridiculously outdated system, will give the SNP 43 seats, Lib Dems 26 and UKIP 1.

This is a party that wants to rip the UK apart and take even more from England to give to Scotland.  If Labour have any deal with them whatsoever, they will never be forgiven.  

Scots don't understand democracy, you can tell that much by Sturgeon's claim that she wants to "Lock the Tories out of number 10 forever", she can't comprehend that the Conservatives have ten times the number of voters that the SNP have.  They won't be content until Kim Jung Salmond-Sturgeon rules from Edinburgh Castle. 

Sturgeon is the biggest threat the UK will face in the election not Farage. It's about time the media started to do there usual unbiased reporting and stitch that old witch up by digging out some shit from her past.

Yep and the card carrying rosette wearing 'I only vote labour' brigade would gladly sell their own country down the river and allow this threat to become a reality.

Entirely agree.

The bigoted SNP have campaigned about how unfair the UK is and they're right, however what they don't understand is that it is unfair on England, Wales and Northern Ireland and that's even before looking at the Barnett Formula.

the SNP are forecast to get 3.5% of the nations votes this May, while Lib dems 12.7% and UKIP 10.4%.

However this, in our ridiculously outdated system, will give the SNP 43 seats, Lib Dems 26 and UKIP 1.

This is a party that wants to rip the UK apart and take even more from England to give to Scotland. If Labour have any deal with them whatsoever, they will never be forgiven.

Scots don't understand democracy, you can tell that much by Sturgeon's claim that she wants to "Lock the Tories out of number 10 forever", she can't comprehend that the Conservatives have ten times the number of voters that the SNP have. They won't be content until Kim Jung Salmond-Sturgeon rules from Edinburgh Castle.

I think Scotland have every right "not to understand democracy", there's more Pandas living in Scotland than Tory MP's, but they are ruled by the Tories!

Yep and the card carrying rosette wearing 'I only vote labour' brigade would gladly sell their own country down the river and allow this threat to become a reality.

I imagine that any Labour voter would be more than happy to see her stitched up and lose loads of support.

Scotland will vote Labour then!

I think Scotland have every right "not to understand democracy", there's more Pandas living in Scotland than Tory MP's, but they are ruled by the Tories!

They had their chance to go their seperate ways in a democratically held vote and decided they didn't want to. Now they want to vote for Nationalists MP's in their droves who want to put Scotland first, can you not see the hypocrisy in all this?

I seem to recall they lost their democratic chance of independence and the tories were in power when they lost that vote, so they knew what they were voting for and it wasn't the panda's.

I imagine that any Labour voter would be more than happy to see her stitched up and lose loads of support.

Scotland will vote Labour then!

But will still be happy to have her and Salmond as Ed's puppeteers when the moment comes.

They had their chance to go their seperate ways in a democratically held vote and decided they didn't want to. Now they want to vote for Nationalists MP's in their droves who want to put Scotland first, can you not see the hypocrisy in all this?

45% voted Yes for independence, those 45 % will vote SNP. I don't see any hypocrisy in that.

45% voted Yes for independence, those 45 % will vote SNP. I don't see any hypocrisy in that.

and lost even though they are ruled by tories/pandas, it's total hypocrisy the nasty tories gave them a chance and they lost end of, because the majority sided with the tories/pandas, I know you labourites have trouble with figures but yes they did lose their chance.

I seem to recall they lost their democratic chance of independence and the tories were in power when they lost that vote, so they knew what they were voting for and it wasn't the panda's.

But will still be happy to have her and Salmond as Ed's puppeteers when the moment comes.

If the polls stay as they are,then Labour will be approx 26 seats short of being able to form the next government.

The Liberals ( as the polls stand) will get approx 18 seats.

Chuck in 8 more from respect,greens and plaid Cymru and there's your government!!

No SNP in sight!

Around 45% voted for independence in the referendum. If they all vote SNP in the General Election they're bound to win just about every seat, with the rest split across all other parties. Labour seems to have blown it in Scotland, in much the same way as the Tories did a generation ago. Am fairly sure that the Scots will get their independence on the next 10 years - they're fundamentally different to the English politically and it's now only a question of when not if and how painful it's going to be, IMO.

and lost even though they are ruled by tories/pandas, it's total hypocrisy the nasty tories gave them a chance and they lost end of, because the majority sided with the tories/pandas, I know you labourites have trouble with figures but yes they did lose their chance.

You also have to remember that ALL citizens of the EU residing in Scotland,16 year olds,people from the Commonwealth and all the Irish living in Scotland were able to vote in the independence election.

The Pandas weren't eligible though!

None of these can vote in the GE.

So it is possible that they may even get over 50% in this vote.

You also have to remember that ALL citizens of the EU residing in Scotland,16 year olds,people from the Commonwealth and all the Irish living in Scotland were able to vote in the independence election.

The Pandas weren't eligible though!

None of these can vote in the GE.

So it is possible that they may even get over 50% in this vote.

I look forward with glee to them taking over England very soon, when I eventually sell my house and move back, Scotland might have to be top of my list, free prescriptions, better NHS, better welfare state, cheaper taxes, better all round standard of living and all paid for by the English what's not to like?.

36% of British voters voted Tory in the last election, but we still ended up with them in government. We are now in a barmy situation thanks to this antiqainted system of FPTP that a small number of Nationalists can have possibly the biggest say in what happens to one of the largest economies in the world.

36% of British voters voted Tory in the last election, but we still ended up with them in government. We are now in a barmy situation thanks to this antiqainted system of FPTP that a small number of Nationalists can have possibly the biggest say in what happens to one of the largest economies in the world.

The key word is possibly, still a good chance that the SNP won't have a say in anything.

Anyone coming to the conclusion that democracy is just a load of shite. The whole thing is just broken in so many ways. People spouting crap and making promises they won't keep again and again. When something needs to be done in this country, the party in power to nothing about it so they can use it as a carrot promise for the next election. If we did away with all this democracy crap then when something needed to be done it got done. The Fascists dictators of the 20th century may have been complete bastards but their countries worked and they worked well. Without sounding like a Nazi sympathiser in any way because they were all evil murdering bastards but Germany in their regime had low unemployment, high standard of living, forward thinking transport links, good education and were very productive. Mussolini famously made the trains run on time too.

Then again dictatorships tend to end in genocide of some sort so perhaps this democracy isn't so bad. *sigh* Hung parliaments and useless bags of hot air are much better than that grim reality of dictatorship. Though Singapore has got something going for it....

Dear older posters. This is my first General Election and I'm pissed off and confused. Does this frustration go away?

WTTJ

Anyone coming to the conclusion that democracy is just a load of shite. The whole thing is just broken in so many ways. People spouting crap and making promises they won't keep again and again. When something needs to be done in this country, the party in power to nothing about it so they can use it as a carrot promise for the next election. If we did away with all this democracy crap then when something needed to be done it got done. The Fascists dictators of the 20th century may have been complete bastards but their countries worked and they worked well. Without sounding like a Nazi sympathiser in any way because they were all evil murdering bastards but Germany in their regime had low unemployment, high standard of living, forward thinking transport links, good education and were very productive. Mussolini famously made the trains run on time too.

Then again dictatorships tend to end in genocide of some sort so perhaps this democracy isn't so bad. *sigh* Hung parliaments and useless bags of hot air are much better than that grim reality of dictatorship. Though Singapore has got something going for it....

Dear older posters. This is my first General Election and I'm pissed off and confused. Does this frustration go away?

WTTJ

Glad you spotted it early.

Whoever you decide to vote for it has to be better than the choice I made for my first vote, I voted for Tony Blairs Labour party, oh how wonderful he turned out to be. If only he had put on his leaflets he intended to invade a foreign country and be responsible for over a million Iraqi deaths, I may have voted elsewhere.

But don't worry, it does happen like this, the Conservatives forgot to mention that we would all retire aged 68 if you voted for them at the last election. And who could forget Nick and his U-Turn on University fees once he had gained enough votes to hold the power of forming a government.

If I was you I would do the decent thing and decide to stay in that night and not vote, because it really doesn't matter who you vote for, people will tell you that your vote is important and it's special, it's not. They do as they please whoever gets in, save yourself the headache and sit back and watch, I can guarantee you will be no better off whoever gets in.

Glad you spotted it early.

Whoever you decide to vote for it has to be better than the choice I made for my first vote, I voted for Tony Blairs Labour party, oh how wonderful he turned out to be. If only he had put on his leaflets he intended to invade a foreign country and be responsible for over a million Iraqi deaths, I may have voted elsewhere.

But don't worry, it does happen like this, the Conservatives forgot to mention that we would all retire aged 68 if you voted for them at the last election. And who could forget Nick and his U-Turn on University fees once he had gained enough votes to hold the power of forming a government.

If I was you I would do the decent thing and decide to stay in that night and not vote, because it really doesn't matter who you vote for, people will tell you that your vote is important and it's special, it's not. They do as they please whoever gets in, save yourself the headache and sit back and watch, I can guarantee you will be no better off whoever gets in.

In the only election I could vote in last year I spoilt both my local and euro vote, but this one seems more important 

It's worse than that actually. Around 550 of the 650 constituencies can be regarded a safe. The other 100 ish marginals will be won depending on the actions of undecided, or 'swing', voters. There might be as few as 10% of a constituency that change their vote. That would be around 8000 swing votes in a constituency, or around 800,000 across all the marginals. So there you have it - this election, like all others, will likely be determined by less than 1m swing voters in marginal constituencies.

Not that the electorate seem mind. Even the modest change from FPTP to AV was rejected by a majority of 2-1.

Given the choices we face, would much rather see a lib lab Govt than one involving the SNP, to be honest.

The Tories frankly are largely to blame for them anyway. Up he went during the Indy ref, made a load of promises, then the next day he backtracked on them all. They know they are screwed in Scotland, so having SNP MPs is a lot better than Labour ones for the Tories. Accident? Do not think so.

Dangerous game to play with the Union however.

Given the choices we face, would much rather see a lib lab Govt than one involving the SNP, to be honest.

The Tories frankly are largely to blame for them anyway. Up he went during the Indy ref, made a load of promises, then the next day he backtracked on them all. They know they are screwed in Scotland, so having SNP MPs is a lot better than Labour ones for the Tories. Accident? Do not think so.

Dangerous game to play with the Union however.

You don't think Labour creating the Scottish Parliament without any answer to the West Lothian Question had anything to do with it?

Dangerous game to play with the Union however

It should be obvious to any reasonable person that continuation of the Conservative/Liberal Democrat government is what's best for the country over the next five years.

It's not a lifetime decision, it's a tough five years.  At least let the country get back on its feet before Labour ruin it again.  

It should be obvious to any reasonable person that continuation of the Conservative/Liberal Democrat government is what's best for the country over the next five years.

It's not a lifetime decision, it's a tough five years. At least let the country get back on its feet before Labour ruin it again.

A very very long 5 years if you're dependant on food banks to feed your children. For me the last 5 years have not been too bad, but to merely say that we'll just have to grin and bear it is ignorant of many peoples suffering.

A very very long 5 years if you're dependant on food banks to feed your children. For me the last 5 years have not been too bad, but to merely say that we'll just have to grin and bear it is ignorant of many peoples suffering.

But surely it is not the state's responsibility to keep paying people to live. Surely the individual must take some responsibility? If you sell something for free, you will receive infinite demand.

One of my best friends who I've shared a house with and now we are neighbours has had, from birth, a very severe case of MS. When I say severe, I mean severe.

He refused to just sit at home raking in all his benefit money that he was "entitled" to. I cannot comprehend how annoyed he gets when he sees people who cant work through "stress" (that's his favourite one), or another disability they claim to have, or act as professional baby makers, and all that jazz, and just sit at home watching Sky, drinking their special brew, smoking all their cigarettes, then driving (yes driving) to the food bank after referral to get their shopping. He is able to get himself to work everyday despite his serious condition and always budgets accordingly for his food and utility bills. (I used to help him with it when I first house shared with him).

He is the whole reason why I think the way I do because he told me to think that way and I'm inclined to agree with him. Maybe I'd have more compassion had I never met him, I don't know. I can only go off my own experiences. As I am sure that you are the same.

I also refuse to buy into the "there are no jobs" line. There is always something. People are just too damn lazy and stubborn to do a job that may be "below them". Between the job I have now and the one before, I worked at a number of bars and even the local dog racing track, glass collecting, toilet cleaning, window washing, everything I could to get by because I knew how important it was. But others don't have the same mentality & discipline as me.

It's not a lifetime decision, it's a tough five years. At least let the country get back on its feet before Labour ruin it again.

Well I hope I am a reasonable person, I just come to a different judgement.

I guess I would describe myself as gently left of centre. For preference I would prefer a Lablib govt. Frankly a con lib one, well ok if it happens. To believe that the Tories or Labour are radical parties anymore misses the point. They are both now centralist parties with differences of emphasis.

To address some of the other points:

- Labour ruined the economy. Yes they did. Not however by the big Tory lie that they overspent by loads. They ruined it as they did not regulate the banks properly, providing us with no insulation when the global financial crash happened. It made all previous spending look like shillings and pence. They let working people down, but do I believe the Tory's would have regulated them any better? Any other argument fundamentally misunderstands the cause of the recession. Created by greedy financial institutions, paid for by working people;

- The scroungers should effectively 'get on their bikes' and look for work. There are people whose attitude frankly infuriates me. Let's not forget however that the vast vast majority of people on benefits are working. They just are not earning enough.

- The Scottish problem is not caused by the West Lothian question, simply because that is an English, not a Scottish problem. That is were the unfairness is felt. Nothing would cause more panic at Tory head office than a poll showing labour fighting back strongly in Scotland. I maintain they have created the issue by playing to (I accept very gently) an English nationalist card, which Scotland is having nothing to do with. How half of voters there can vote for a party that seems to say yep times are a bit hard, let's hit the credit cards, I am not quite sure, but it all seems mixed up with a dangerous seperatist nationalistic brew. The Tories are playing to that agenda, as is weakens labour, and enables them to play the bogey card.

What do I think will happen? Smells a bit like 92 to me. I think (my view sadly, others here will be pleased) that the UKIP vote will weaken and the Tory vote increase as we approach the election. I hope in that case if they need a party to work with it is towards the centre, rather than on their right wing.

And as for not creating uncertainty. The single manifesto commitment that creates in the future the greatest economic uncertainty is the one to hold an EU referendum. It may be needed, but let's not pretend any route is steady as she goes.

But surely it is not the state's responsibility to keep paying people to live. Surely the individual must take some responsibility? If you sell something for free, you will receive infinite demand.

One of my best friends who I've shared a house with and now we are neighbours has had, from birth, a very severe case of MS. When I say severe, I mean severe.

He refused to just sit at home raking in all his benefit money that he was "entitled" to. I cannot comprehend how annoyed he gets when he sees people who cant work through "stress" (that's his favourite one), or another disability they claim to have, or act as professional baby makers, and all that jazz, and just sit at home watching Sky, drinking their special brew, smoking all their cigarettes, then driving (yes driving) to the food bank after referral to get their shopping. He is able to get himself to work everyday despite his serious condition and always budgets accordingly for his food and utility bills. (I used to help him with it when I first house shared with him).

He is the whole reason why I think the way I do because he told me to think that way and I'm inclined to agree with him. Maybe I'd have more compassion had I never met him, I don't know. I can only go off my own experiences. As I am sure that you are the same.

I also refuse to buy into the "there are no jobs" line. There is always something. People are just too damn lazy and stubborn to do a job that may be "below them". Between the job I have now and the one before, I worked at a number of bars and even the local dog racing track, glass collecting, toilet cleaning, window washing, everything I could to get by because I knew how important it was. But others don't have the same mentality & discipline as me.

What about single parents with two or three kids. They can only work 6 hours a day or pay ridiculous childcare fees. There are many people who by circumstance, usually children who struggle to find consistent work that pays enough. 

A Conservative Government will teach a man how to fish.  A Labour one will fish for a man until he is utterly dependent on Labour.

Well I hope I am a reasonable person, I just come to a different judgement.

I guess I would describe myself as gently left of centre. For preference I would prefer a Lablib govt. Frankly a con lib one, well ok if it happens. To believe that the Tories or Labour are radical parties anymore misses the point. They are both now centralist parties with differences of emphasis.

To address some of the other points:

- Labour ruined the economy. Yes they did. Not however by the big Tory lie that they overspent by loads. They ruined it as they did not regulate the banks properly, providing us with no insulation when the global financial crash happened. It made all previous spending look like shillings and pence. They let working people down, but do I believe the Tory's would have regulated them any better? Any other argument fundamentally misunderstands the cause of the recession. Created by greedy financial institutions, paid for by working people;

- The scroungers should effectively 'get on their bikes' and look for work. There are people whose attitude frankly infuriates me. Let's not forget however that the vast vast majority of people on benefits are working. They just are not earning enough.

- The Scottish problem is not caused by the West Lothian question, simply because that is an English, not a Scottish problem. That is were the unfairness is felt. Nothing would cause more panic at Tory head office than a poll showing labour fighting back strongly in Scotland. I maintain they have created the issue by playing to (I accept very gently) an English nationalist card, which Scotland is having nothing to do with. How half of voters there can vote for a party that seems to say yep times are a bit hard, let's hit the credit cards, I am not quite sure, but it all seems mixed up with a dangerous seperatist nationalistic brew. The Tories are playing to that agenda, as is weakens labour, and enables them to play the bogey card.

What do I think will happen? Smells a bit like 92 to me. I think (my view sadly, others here will be pleased) that the UKIP vote will weaken and the Tory vote increase as we approach the election. I hope in that case if they need a party to work with it is towards the centre, rather than on their right wing.

And as for not creating uncertainty. The single manifesto commitment that creates in the future the greatest economic uncertainty is the one to hold an EU referendum. It may be needed, but let's not pretend any route is steady as she goes.

Good post !

(even if I am on the "other side of the fence").

I do see UKIP voters going back to the Conservatives as the election approaches. This generally happens when people realise the government may change to the party they don't want.

Archived