IGNORED

Most Famous Pause Just Before An Incident/goal

Gert Mare

Gerry Sweeney edge of Charlton penalty area on a Friday night in 76 about 10 minutes left. City 2-1 down and needed something to stay in the promotion race

Ball dropped and looked like it hit his hand on the way down. We waited for a whistle as the ball stuck under Gerry's feet. None came and somehow he swung his boot through the ball and hit the top R corner.....Nuts behind the goal....We went on to win promotion...Gerry still remembers it well! 

The goal is one of my fondest memory's but as you can see in the video the saved penalty was celebrated on the Eastend!

From those pictures the place went mad!

Every body talks about the roar when Chistan Roberts scored but for me this was greater!

Fast forward 15 years and Andy Leaning (keeper) would have had a straight red for that challenge

A cross from the right wing and the opposition centre forward leaps into the air, catches the ball and throws it into the net. A sharp intake of breath and time seemed to stand still, for myself and the entire defence, as the referee signalled a goal. We later discovered that he had not seen the obvious handball as he had left the pitch to get his umbrella!

The OP did not say that the event had to be related to a City match. The above occurred during a Suburban League match during the 70s when the official ref did not turn up. The manager was press ganged into refereeing and was more interested in staying dry, in pouring rain, than refereeing. (There should be an entire thread about amateur league referees)

A cross from the right wing and the opposition centre forward leaps into the air, catches the ball and throws it into the net. A sharp intake of breath and time seemed to stand still, for myself and the entire defence, as the referee signalled a goal. We later discovered that he had not seen the obvious handball as he had left the pitch to get his umbrella!

The OP did not say that the event had to be related to a City match. The above occurred during a Suburban League match during the 70s when the official ref did not turn up. The manager was press ganged into refereeing and was more interested in staying dry, in pouring rain, than refereeing. (There should be an entire thread about amateur league referees)

Can I point you in the direction of the gas forum?

Archived