IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Rochdale Match Day Thread

Good evening from Cebu. This is my first match day from a tablet phone so please bear with me... Its a bit small. I will make it short today... Just opening up the forum thread to other historians for Rochdale. A team that off the top of my head have spent their entire history in the lower two divisions but have never been relegated to the Conference. I always had a bit of a soft spot for Rochdale which lies in the north east corner of Greater Manchester with a population of 96,000.

I really admire these northern industrial towns, many of them the unsung heroes of our industrial revolution. And Rochdale was no different.. A major mill town... With the legacy of the Rochdale Canal a major waterway in the region. The settlement is mentioned in the Domesday book if we want to go back to medieval times but not a lot to do with the Romans as far as i can tell.

I am impressed with the teams standing this season and they definitely seem to have been generally upwardly mobile whenever Keith Hill has been at the helm. What a grand job he has done.

Today though i think we will have too much for them even if they come and give us a game... It might be 2-0... I think 1 goal either side of the half. Smith with both of them and what a send off... Well done Smithy and thanks for your goals.. Hope to see u next season.

Excuse any spelling errors folks... Its a rancidly tiny keyboard.

U riddddddddzzzzzz

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 2

Good evening from Cebu. This is my first match day from a tablet phone so please bear with me... Its a bit small. I will make it short today... Just opening up the forum thread to other historians for Rochdale. A team that off the top of my head have spent their entire history in the lower two divisions but have never been relegated to the Conference. I always had a bit of a soft spot for Rochdale which lies in the north east corner of Greater Manchester with a population of 96,000.

I really admire these northern industrial towns, many of them the unsung heroes of our industrial revolution. And Rochdale was no different.. A major mill town... With the legacy of the Rochdale Canal a major waterway in the region. The settlement is mentioned in the Domesday book if we want to go back to medieval times but not a lot to do with the Romans as far as i can tell.

I am impressed with the teams standing this season and they definitely seem to have been generally upwardly mobile whenever Keith Hill has been at the helm. What a grand job he has done.

Today though i think we will have too much for them even if they come and give us a game... It might be 2-0... I think 1 goal either side of the half. Smith with both of them and what a send off... Well done Smithy and thanks for your goals.. Hope to see u next season.

Excuse any spelling errors folks... Its a rancidly tiny keyboard.

U riddddddddzzzzzz

Did you know there is a Rochdale Street in Moscow, don't ask me to write it in Russian.  It is named after an Industrialist who came from England and started a Cotton Mill, my wife reliably informs me.  perhaps you can do some research on this.   Anyway as i am usually wrong, I predict a 2 - 0 win today so COYRs!

Did you know there is a Rochdale Street in Moscow, don't ask me to write it in Russian.  It is named after an Industrialist who came from England and started a Cotton Mill, my wife reliably informs me.  perhaps you can do some research on this.   Anyway as i am usually wrong, I predict a 2 - 0 win today so COYRs!

I have found it now it was because of the Cooperative movement, started in Rochdale.     here's a street in Moscow named after Rochdale - Rochdelskaya ulitsa. Birthplace of co-operative business:

Read more at http://twicsy.com/i/EVcvrg#oLxYC8VsdpbgdFzY.99

wasnt there a rochdale cowboy  :blink:

Wasn't that Mike Harding?Mike Harding is an English singer, songwriter, comedian, author, poet, broadcaster and multi-instrumentalist. He is known as 'The Rochdale Cowboy' after one of his hit records. wikipedia.org

Edited by EstoniaTallinnRed

I know Cunningham has done little wrong, but I'm always a little disappointed when Joe Bryan isn't in the team.

He did alot right last game - clipped the bar, lashed home the pen., beautiful cross for Wilbs. goal.

I'm a big fan of Joe too but Greg thoroughly deserves to keep his place today.

I'm a bit surprised Smith isn't starting. Wilbs is pretty much guaranteed to start the next game and while he did pretty well on Tuesday, Smith has probably earned a start in his final game over the 3 months he's been here

SC just said on RB that he wants Wilbs and Agard to come up to scratch and it's possible depending on the position that Matt will come on at some time.

SC isn't one for sentiment and needs both Wilbraham and Agard fully match fit, that is so important for us.

thats a fair point

SC just said on RB that he wants Wilbs and Agard to come up to scratch and it's possible depending on the position that Matt will come on at some time.

That's also a fair point. I just think Smith would probably be pumped for the game and it would get the crowd going

He did alot right last game - clipped the bar, lashed home the pen., beautiful cross for Wilbs. goal.

I'm a big fan of Joe too but Greg thoroughly deserves to keep his place today.

Good isn't it? We're lucky to have two talented lefty's, few teams have, whats great about swapping those two over, as is the same with the rest of the squad, is you can do so without weakening the team. Love it. Joe gets the plaudits with his attacking play but greg is just as good in other areas of the game.

Disappionted Matt Smith isn't starting though.