IGNORED

Concorde

redsquirrel

totally non football but what a sad sight seeing a major part of bristol history left outside like that with all that space for a hanger.

are there any plans for a museum or anything to get the old bird under cover?

Yes, the hanger next to the helicopter landing area is going to be redeveloped as part of an aerospace museum along with Concorde inside

Yes, the hanger next to the helicopter landing area is going to be redeveloped as part of an aerospace museum along with Concorde inside

totally non football but what a sad sight seeing a major part of bristol history left outside like that with all that space for a hanger.

are there any plans for a museum or anything to get the old bird under cover?

..... and I think there are proposals to demolish the Brabazon hangar where it was actually built and is currently parked outside of.  

You couldn't make it up really and it could only happen in Bristol  :facepalm:

The problem is it was so fast, you could land in the U.S. Half an hour before you took off in the UK. Meaning you could watch a boxing match, fly to the states, before it starts and bet on the outcome, probably...

Ray Winston wouldn't like that at all..

"Did you bring a tool?

What tool?

This ******* tool!"

Does seem strange when places like Edinburgh can have Concorde exhibited in a fitting way, yet Bristol one of the places where major parts of its design and construction were made is still at the planning stage.

As for demolishing of the Brabazon hanger shameful, Bristol has a fantastic history of aviation yet we cast it aside it seems, so much more should be made of it.

No doubt if one of George's buddy mentioned a cycling museum or history of cycling lanes and lentil recipes it would be found funds and built within months!

I believe the hangers aren't in any initial plans to be demo'd and also when the rumours first kicked in GF was getting English Heritage on the case. They have to be listed imo

I believe the hangers aren't in any initial plans to be demo'd and also when the rumours first kicked in GF was getting English Heritage on the case. They have to be listed imo

Im pretty sure they tried this but failed to get the brabazon listed. It's also just too vast to maintain. Too big for the aero museum/cotswold collection too, so looks doomed imo.

I was at Heathrow airport for the first time in about 10 years last week, I noticed they don't have the Concorde monument on the roundabout anymore, it's a Fly Emirates plane now.

I can understand them not having it but for sentimental value, I thought they would have placed it elsewhere on site.

Something just didn't feel right about not seeing it there.

What I want to know is why hasn't it been improved upon it was the pinnacle of aviation!!

yes it had its flaws but has no one thought to wrinkle them out???

As someone* said at the time, "Today, for the first time since the fall of the Roman Empire, the world just got bigger".

* Yes, I am a lazy bugger. Look it up for yourself ;)

Does seem strange to worry about a plane that used to fly at 50,000ft around the world, being left outside in the rain........

Trouble is they were well looked after when in use. You leave it out in the raw elements for ten years and the thing rusts and rots. It's already in bad shape and this is probably one of the only ones in theory that could get airbourne again (never really going to happen).

However after all the effort to keep it here it's typical Bristol that we treat the old bird like we do..

As someone* said at the time, "Today, for the first time since the fall of the Roman Empire, the world just got bigger".

* Yes, I am a lazy bugger. Look it up for yourself ;)

Still regret not getting around to flying Concorde, even on one of the short day-tripper flights towards the end of its life.  Along with the Space Shuttle, the retirement of the fleet is a backward step in industrial achievement.  And that is sad.

I was at Heathrow airport for the first time in about 10 years last week, I noticed they don't have the Concorde monument on the roundabout anymore, it's a Fly Emirates plane now.

I can understand them not having it but for sentimental value, I thought they would have placed it elsewhere on site.

Yeah, a shitty a380, absolute joke.

hopefully the new a350XWB will be better than that hulking piece of shit!

Ahh you forgot we have to lick the ar**s of our Middle East Friends :trumpet:

Trouble is they were well looked after when in use. You leave it out in the raw elements for ten years and the thing rusts and rots. It's already in bad shape and this is probably one of the only ones in theory that could get airbourne again (never really going to happen).

However after all the effort to keep it here it's typical Bristol that we treat the old bird like we do..

i just dont get why they dont cover it and at least give it a coat of some protective oil or such.

if it does get its own museum, it will cost more to keep it intact if the rot has set in,with all the metal on there, its going to happen

i just dont get why they dont cover it and at least give it a coat of some protective oil or such.

if it does get its own museum, it will cost more to keep it intact if the rot has set in,with all the metal on there, its going to happen

Or stick it in that sodding great hanger next to it that's empty.

Good news this week that looks like funding is in place for the museum. Knowing Bristol mind it'll be another 6 years before it's built

Or stick it in that sodding great hanger next to it that's empty.

Good news this week that looks like funding is in place for the museum. Knowing Bristol mind it'll be another 6 years before it's built

they have to work out where the cycle lanes can go !!

Archived