IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Crewe Alexandra Match Day Thread

We begin this evening's Match Day with an introduction from Olly..

Crewe is not that bad. I used to live (there) for 9 years until I moved down south, the only major 2 things that happened in my school while I lived there was someone got stabbed with a meat knife in the leg and a teacher got shot in the eye with a BB gun from long range.

Thanks to Olly for that.

Creu, as it used to be spelt is another entry in the Domesday Book but it was only formally planned in the 1840's to provide the necessary living requirements for a railway junction which opened in 1837. So it is one of the few towns that took its name from the railway station and not the other way around.

The Pym's Lane Factory in Crewe, built in 1938, was a Rolls Royce factory manufacturing the PV-12 aero engine otherwise known as the Merlin. This iconic engine powered Spitfires, Hurricanes and Fairey Battle's and so was instigational and crucial for the war effort. So successful was the engine during this era that is was licensed to Packard in the US. This factory and the importance of it, along with the railway junction, explains why the Germans bombed it more than once during WWII. The worst raid was on August 29th, 1940 when 50 homes were destroyed. 35 civilians lost their lives.

Pyms Lane started building Bentley and Rolls Royce cars in 1946 the latter having acquired the former in 1931. 6 in every 10 of each marque are still on the road. Marvellous.

Now on to football.. When I think of Crewe Alexandra I think of youth academy production line and Dario Gradi. He had more than 1000 games in charge of the Alex. Their academy is linked up with Liverpool's for the exchange of young players, no doubt a little lop sided in exchange for cash. Historically Crewe were founded by a bunch of cricketers who wanted to keep fit during the winter months.. hang on, where have I heard that before.. A bunch of railway workers so named their new club from the town and from their high regard for Princess Alexandra.. good for them there chaps working class royalists, beautiful :) . That was in 1877 by the way. They were early league members but dropped out of it from 1896 to 1921.. so there you go I have found another club, along with the Gills, who have been in and out through re-election.

A few interesting things about the Alex; along with Hartlepool no other two clubs have played each other more. They have never had a song written about them.. apparently, David Platt, Bruce Grobelaar, Rob Jones and some bloke who did not want his kid to have a welsh accent have played for them during their informative years. Crewe have incidentally played at the Alexandra Stadium, Gresty Road since 1898. Oh and look out for the Gresty Clap; its not a sexually transmitted disease but an appreciation of good play. Lets hope that is ALL they will be doing tonight, for their opposing team, as we surely must take revenge for our surprise loss in Cheshire earlier this season.

3-1 ,.. why not.. seems to be our favourite scoreline..

Wilbraham, JET and Smith.

U Riddddddzzzzzzz.

Edited by havanatopia

Extremely tough game, we very rarely beat Crewe home or away.

Think we might have to be patient again tonight.

Yep, they seem a bit of a bogey side. 4-0 playing great, or a scrappy 1-0 don't care, but important to get the three points. Longer it goes 0-0 the more nervous I get, so nice brisk start today lads.