IGNORED

The Official Bristol City V Barnsley Match Day Thread

'Oh what a beautiful delivery that wazz and an equally beautiful strike as even Dickie Bird blesses it through his palms on the way to another Boycott boundary as England move on to 125 for 3 on this sticky wicket here at Headingley'.... Such is the connection of Barnsley to cricket that a wonderfully languorous remark from Richie Benaud I think is befitting for the opening of my thread . Dickie Bird, Geoff Boycott and Darren Gough all hail from Barnsley and its environs and its nearby towns and villages (for the benefit of those who are not happy with the word 'environs' as nearby places :)

Barnsley is proper Yorkshire, ayup flower, and no mistake. Surrounded by quaint little villages Barnsley actually shares a commonality with Bristol in glass production as one of its long historical industries although Scargills pits are of course more synonymous with the town. It has a fairly big draw as one of the better places to pick up good quality meat and fish in its regular outdoor and covered markets. Not bad if you are planning to cook some hearty Dale fayre.

While there may be many a visitor who strays too long in Kendray where they will no doubt say the town is a dump one should visit the better quarters and breath in the views to be enjoyed of Worsbrough Reservoir and the surrounding countryside.. its a gorgeous vista my fellow babbers.

As for Barnsley FC.. They hold the title as being the team with the longest number of years spent in the 2nd tier, some 77 seasons. City, incidentally, are in the top 10 of that list on around 48 seasons. The solitary season Barnsley spent in the Premier League, courtesy of Danny The Wilson, was in 1997/8 but is but a dreamy distant memory for this very Yorkshire of teams. The day they were promoted Michael Parkinson and Dickie Bird were both in attendance to record their one and only visits to Oakwell. We salute any 'smaller' team that reaches the epic heights of league football. 

And as the Bard of Barnsley, Ian MacMillan, aptly wrote on that penultimate day of the season when Clint Marcelle scored an 88th minute goal to send them up..

I could see them looking in the champagne air
For their mates who'd died and should have been there
For parents who took them and stood in the cold
For year after year and just wouldn't be told
That Barnsley would never have a place in the sun
It's for people like that that this game was won

They went on to be probably the most unglamorous team ever to grace the top flight. 

I have to say I have happy memories of visiting Oakwell on one previous occasion, parking the car over the hill and walking through the ubiquitous victorian terraced streets and down into the valley where the imposing stadium begins to loom large. Not an entirely unimpressive stadium. 

Today we welcome the club to Ashton Gate with an old City stalwart at the helm and what an impressive beginning Lee Johnson has made to his second managerial job; 6 wins in 8 if I am not mistaken, to push The Tykes to the very verge of that last play off spot and who, frankly, would bet against them squeezing into that slot at the end of the season and even begrudge them winning through to the Championship... there are few other teams in the top echelons whom the average City fan would prefer to be promoted with, perhaps, the exception of Rochdale or Chesterfield? Since it is Rochdale who have spent more seasons in Division 4 than anyone else i would be absolutely delighted to see them as the third team promoted to Division 2. :)

City are far too professional an outfit to step off the gas today and while this will be a very stern test and Lee will have fired his boys up and receive a decent reception he will surely leave the Gate with nothing. so, a tight affair ladies and gentlemen but a win nonetheless.. 1-0 is perhaps all we should hope for and that man Wilbraham with a tap in from Freeman mid way through the second half could be all that is needed to send us 15 points ahead of 3rd.

btw.. why is it that MK and Swindle are not playing today?

U Ridddzzzzzzzz. Cheer them on to glory today.

Edited by havanatopia

I have to stop you in your tracks there Havana, you and Sir Richie wrong I'm afraid. Lord Geoff of Boycott was from Fitzwilliam, which is very much in the Wakefield/Pontefract environs. A mistake like that could get you in real trouble up in God's Own County.

While there are many kernels of truth in the cliches about Barnsley, it's actually a place that has a lot going for it. I have a lot of affection for the place so I'm hoping they win the play offs and we play them again next season

One of my favourite things about t'Tarn is the dialect; coal is pronounced 'coy-el', boots are 'boo-its-is', down is 'darn'. Love it.

Have a feeling we might slip up today though, I'm afraid I'm going for 1-2 t'Tarn flower. Thas know wat ah meyn cock?

City beat a decent team on Sunday without really breaking sweat and I think it will be much the same today. We are just a very, very good side and all of us need to enjoy these last 8 games as next season may be a tad harder. Barnsley may well sneak into the play-offs but we are different class and they will be put in their place and City will win comfortably 4-0. Flint to score at anytime @ 9/2 with Betfred is a monster bet. The guy is a man mountain and in the form of his life. Happy days !

I have to stop you in your tracks there Havana, you and Sir Richie wrong I'm afraid. Lord Geoff of Boycott was from Fitzwilliam, which is very much in the Wakefield/Pontefract environs. A mistake like that could get you in real trouble up in God's Own County.

While there are many kernels of truth in the cliches about Barnsley, it's actually a place that has a lot going for it. I have a lot of affection for the place so I'm hoping they win the play offs and we play them again next season

One of my favourite things about t'Tarn is the dialect; coal is pronounced 'coy-el', boots are 'boo-its-is', down is 'darn'. Love it.

Have a feeling we might slip up today though, I'm afraid I'm going for 1-2 t'Tarn flower. Thas know wat ah meyn cock?

Barnsley and ITS ENVIRONS i thought covered that my friend.

I have added a further few words in my OP to cover that so I hope the wrath of god is no longer a boiling anger ;)

Edited by havanatopia

There was a Barnsley lorry driver at a place I used to work at. Used to refer to his lugs as "earoyels".

'Oh what a beautiful delivery that wazz and an equally beautiful strike as even Dickie Bird blesses it through his palms on the way to another Boycott boundary as England move on to 125 for 3 on this sticky wicket here at Headingley'.... Such is the connection of Barnsley to cricket that a wonderfully languorous remark from Richie Benaud I think is befitting for the opening of my thread . Dickie Bird, Geoff Boycott and Darren Gough all hail from Barnsley and its environs and its nearby towns and villages (for the benefit of those who are not happy with the word 'environs' as nearby places :)

Barnsley is proper Yorkshire, ayup flower, and no mistake. Surrounded by quaint little villages Barnsley actually shares a commonality with Bristol in glass production as one of its long historical industries although Scargills pits are of course more synonymous with the town. It has a fairly big draw as one of the better places to pick up good quality meat and fish in its regular outdoor and covered markets. Not bad if you are planning to cook some hearty Dale fayre.

While there may be many a visitor who strays too long in Kendray where they will no doubt say the town is a dump one should visit the better quarters and breath in the views to be enjoyed of Worsbrough Reservoir and the surrounding countryside.. its a gorgeous vista my fellow babbers.

As for Barnsley FC.. They hold the title as being the team with the longest number of years spent in the 2nd tier, some 77 seasons. City, incidentally, are in the top 10 of that list on around 48 seasons. The solitary season Barnsley spent in the Premier League, courtesy of Danny The Wilson, was in 1997/8 but is but a dreamy distant memory for this very Yorkshire of teams. The day they were promoted Michael Parkinson and Dickie Bird were both in attendance to record their one and only visits to Oakwell. We salute any 'smaller' team that reaches the epic heights of league football. 

And as the Bard of Barnsley, Ian MacMillan, aptly wrote on that penultimate day of the season when Clint Marcelle scored an 88th minute goal to send them up..

I could see them looking in the champagne air

For their mates who'd died and should have been there

For parents who took them and stood in the cold

For year after year and just wouldn't be told

That Barnsley would never have a place in the sun

It's for people like that that this game was won

They went on to be probably the most unglamorous team ever to grace the top flight. 

I have to say I have happy memories of visiting Oakwell on one previous occasion, parking the car over the hill and walking through the ubiquitous victorian terraced streets and down into the valley where the imposing stadium begins to loom large. Not an entirely unimpressive stadium. 

Today we welcome the club to Ashton Gate with an old City stalwart at the helm and what an impressive beginning Lee Johnson has made to his second managerial job; 6 wins in 8 if I am not mistaken, to push The Tykes to the very verge of that last play off spot and who, frankly, would bet against them squeezing into that slot at the end of the season and even begrudge them winning through to the Championship... there are few other teams in the top echelons whom the average City fan would prefer to be promoted with, perhaps, the exception of Rochdale or Chesterfield? Since it is Rochdale who have spent more seasons in Division 4 than anyone else i would be absolutely delighted to see them as the third team promoted to Division 2. :)

City are far too professional an outfit to step off the gas today and while this will be a very stern test and Lee will have fired his boys up and receive a decent reception he will surely leave the Gate with nothing. so, a tight affair ladies and gentlemen but a win nonetheless.. 1-0 is perhaps all we should hope for and that man Wilbraham with a tap in from Freeman mid way through the second half could be all that is needed to send us 15 points ahead of 3rd.

btw.. why is it that MK and Swindle are not playing today?

U Ridddzzzzzzzz. Cheer them on to glory today.

Just to pick you up on the comment regarding Dickie Bird. He's a season ticket holder at Oakwell, a regular attendee and true Barnsley legend (he has a statue in his honour in the town). Michael Parkinson is a tit and yes, that was his only appearance at Oakwell. 

Just to pick you up on the comment regarding Dickie Bird. He's a season ticket holder at Oakwell, a regular attendee and true Barnsley legend (he has a statue in his honour in the town). Michael Parkinson is a tit and yes, that was his only appearance at Oakwell. 

Well noted squire although i read an article saying both had seen one game each... the same one,,.. that promotion day. Only quoting from research. But glad to be corrected nonetheless.

I know about the statue.. it was raised a few feet to stop Barnsley or away fans defacing it. 

Anyway, back on topic, what is your prediction today please?

Edited by havanatopia

He gets his season ticket free though from what I understand

Well noted squire although i read an article saying both had seen one game each... the same one,,.. that promotion day. Only quoting from research. But glad to be corrected nonetheless.

I know about the statue.. it was raised a few feet to stop Barnsley or away fans defacing it. 

Anyway, back on topic, what is your prediction today please?

Aye, it's definitely incorrect. I sit in the same stand as Dickie, the old West Stand. 

Parky is a Reading season ticket holder. 

Gough watches Tottenham and MK Dons. 

Boycott's a Man Utd supporter. 

Prediction? 

I'd take a point now. But I fear a defeat if you score early. Young keeper making his competitive debut, a couple of doubts over key midfielders, Lalkovic suspended, and away from home at the runaway leaders. It's hardly inspiring. However, I'm sure we'll be coming to try and win. Which is all you can ask for as a supporter.

Your right. Michael Parkinson is a tit. Tried to make out he was a Barnsley supporter.

Didn't I see him trying to make out he was a Portsmouth supporter as well ?, that is until

it all went TITS up for them.

Edited by lou-peters-dive

City beat a decent team on Sunday without really breaking sweat and I think it will be much the same today. We are just a very, very good side and all of us need to enjoy these last 8 games as next season may be a tad harder. Barnsley may well sneak into the play-offs but we are different class and they will be put in their place and City will win comfortably 4-0. Flint to score at anytime @ 9/2 with Betfred is a monster bet. The guy is a man mountain and in the form of his life. Happy days !

I admire your optimism and enthusiasm, however Barnsley were very dangerous going forward at their place & Danny Wilson tactically found us out, constantly breaking with pace and exploiting the huge spaces left on the flanks. I'd expect them to do the same today.

At Wembley we barely got out of 2nd gear and rarely looked threatened.

The one negative is that up top I think we are completely toothless (of course, things can change and Agard & Alby could click, again.)

Agard & Alby don't look anywhere near as effective as they did earlier this season,. Wilbraham still doesn't look fit and when I spoke to his brother on Sunday he said he's still not fully fit, which IMHO showed up quite obviously, then there's Agard. I thought he tried so hard on Sunday, his work rate was phenomenal but he just IMHO as not the answer short or long term/ is okay JET and recall Burns as another option, we are brilliant as a team and every player adds something.today will be a touch one, I just pray that Agard will find his scoring boots ala Rotherham and we will canter over the finishing line.

Draw today I think. 1-1 flint again.

Had a dream last night of a 3-1 to City scoreline, so naturally ive got money on it!

Also Marlon Pack scored....

Narghhhh you have 'Repetitive Scoreline Memory Disorder' it triggers off in the sub-conscious. Happens to all of us my babber. You thought it was a dream but in fact it was an RSMD trigger 'dropped' into the sub conscious. it can be quite spooky.. for example you could be dreaming about something pleasurable.... like... cruising the Med on a super yacht showing off your six pack with a bounty of oriental and latina beauties on hand to answer your every whim and desire when all of a sudden the 3-1 thingy just hits you like a meteorite and sends you into a complete spin... you need to be careful not to be standing too close to the edge of the yacht or you will be in the swim. 

Weird kinda thing but absolutely true. Watch out for it.

The one negative is that up top I think we are completely toothless (of course, things can change and Agard & Alby could click, again.)

Harsh .. is the only word i can come up with that sums this up.

Or i might just add.. give me toothless any day then please .. 10 points clear, 8 games left, nuff said really.

p.s. can we have your kinda toothless next season please?