IGNORED

The Official Chesterfield V Bristol City Match Day Thread.

Interesting to compare with say Swindons side today

Belford T, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Turnbull, Barthram, Rodgers, Marshall, Randall, Barker, Smith M, Hylton

Far far from a first eleven. Pretty sure we could not make that number of changes if we wanted.

Football league may be interested in this weakened lineup, surely unfair to MKD

Perhaps but maybe it's just that SC is fiercely loyal to his first team squad and there's just not enough of a good reason ( for him) to send one of his players to watch from the stands. Steve will want to end the season with a couple more wins and knows how best to achieve that.

You're missing the point. We don't have enough first team players to fill the bench. Only 5 on the bench today. Nobody's saying a first team player should be dropped from the bench for a youngster. I agree Cotts is loyal to his team and wouldn't do that. What we're questioning is why hasn't Cotts included a couple of youngsters to make up the numbers even if he wasn't going to put them on?

Maybe it's just that. If he has no intention of putting them on maybe he thinks it's a pointless exercise.

Edited by bcfcRobbo
  • Like 1

Perhaps but maybe it's just that SC is fiercely loyal to his first team squad and there's just not enough of a good reason ( for him) to send one of his players to watch from the stands. Steve will want to end the season with a couple more wins and knows how best to achieve that.

I don't think loyalty has any relevence today when there are two spaces on the bench. I agree in principle but what today says to me is that in SC's eyes we have no other players capable to make a positive impact in our squad. That is a worry to me!

• Like 1

You're missing the point. We don't have enough first team players to fill the bench. Only 5 on the bench today. Nobody's saying a first team player should be dropped from the bench for a youngster. I agree Cotts is loyal to his team and wouldn't do that. What we're questioning is why hasn't Cotts included a couple of youngsters to make up the numbers even if he wasn't going to out them on?

Maybe it's just that. If he has no intention of putting them on maybe he thinks it's a pointless exercise.

Ah yes- I did miss the point. I thought there was one spare sub not two. Either way, as Cunningham, Elliott and Wagstaff have all been part of the first team then I can see why he wants to stick with them. It does indeed seem pointless ( and extra expense) to have a couple of yoof with no prospect of playing. SC is not trigger happy when it comes to substitutions often waiting til 89th minute.

Ah yes- I did miss the point. I thought there was one spare sub not two. Either way, as Cunningham, Elliott and Wagstaff have all been part of the first team then I can see why he wants to stick with them. It does indeed seem pointless ( and extra expense) to have a couple of yoof with no prospect of playing. SC is not trigger happy when it comes to substitutions often waiting til 89th minute.

Agreed. As others have said, it suggests that Cotts doesn't view any of the youngsters as anywhere near breaking into the first team.

We only took 17 players up & knew Wilbraham hadn't trained all week. Cotts can't rate the youngsters as being anywhere near first team material as the U21s season is finished and he hasn't even taken any for the experience of being in a matchday squad.

Ah, I see.

Guess we'll have to see if any of the young 'uns impress him this summer then.

I think you're right................. in your previous post where you say that Jet's intelligence wil provide chances for Agard. ;)

But we're assuming, as City fans always do, that Jet will step back in and produce top form immerdiately.

Some/most players are given licence of a few games to get back to speed after long absences.

That doesn't apply to Jet, if he's a bit rusty and doesn't have an absolute stormer his knockers will be out in force.

I hope he does. No offence Wilbs., and get better soon, but Jet's inclusion has given me renewed interest in this game.

agreed, he is expected to preform miracles with every touch whilst Agard gets king status for sitting deeper, giving the appearance of running around, defending from attack. I'd prefer to see Jet with his hands on his hips standing higher up the field, as a defender I'd be bricking myself, wondering wjet he's going to make them look stupid as he so often does.

I hope today's not the last we see of jet in a City shirt, we know he's changed mentally abd he's settled here. He's an entertainer, an artist and has provided us with some great moments, I think he has a part to play next season hopefully teaming up with Matt Smith. Let's wait abd see, one thing is for sure IMHO is that Agard has struggled to make an impact at times in this league, at a level above ivrrally don't think we can afford to carry a player in such an important position. I really fear for us if he's our first choice striker next season.

• Like 1

I don't think loyalty has any relevence today when there are two spaces on the bench. I agree in principle but what today says to me is that in SC's eyes we have no other players capable to make a positive impact in our squad. That is a worry to me!

Other than JB, he clearly thought along the same lines at the start of this season and things have turned out brilliantly. No cause for worry when the club's transfer dealings are really improving. 

That the Academy is failing to produce first teamers- it's more of a fact than anything. If there's no one currently good enough then SC has to use what is and hope he gets the players he needs over the next month or so.