IGNORED

The Most Overrated Footballer Of All Time

Malago

As much as I want to avoid any news, pictures, publicity stunts of you know who and his preening wife, you only have open a newspaper, webpage to see his omnipresent mug shot.

Why would anybody care about his bloody 40th birthday. Why to the press keeping shoving his image down our throats?

Surely he was the most overrated footballer of all time. Rodney March, Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington, to name just three, had more talent in the big toe than Leytonstone's finest. That's even before you mention truly good footballers like Puskas, Di Stefano, Muller, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc.

Errrr!

Done a lot than just football for people, tattoo acceptance in the workplace is now coming more into force these days and as much as there is some truly shocking work out there, he's helped show not everyone(including myself) has to be a thug to be covered in tattoos. Also his charity work, yes he earns millions and I guess not put that much to charity compared to his salary, but fair play. Footy in America is huger than ever because of him, he's a very good role model, fantastic dad too, inspiration if anything.

Done a lot than just football for people, tattoo acceptance in the workplace is now coming more into force these days and as much as there is some truly shocking work out there, he's helped show not everyone(including myself) has to be a thug to be covered in tattoos..

He was a good footballer and all that but how would anyone consider this to be an "achievement"?

Read some stuff this week about Didier Drogba's first hospital opening in the Ivory Coast, that's an "achievement".

Beckham was not a naturally gifted player, not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure many other proffessionals out there admire him because he was a limited player but the career he has carved out for himself is extrodinary..

He was a good footballer and all that but how would anyone consider this to be an "achievement"?

Read some stuff this week about Didier Drogba's first hospital opening in the Ivory Coast, that's an "achievement".

Of course that's an achievement - it's all relative. Your example is like comparing Wigan's FA Cup win to us winning the JPT. Obviously one surmounts the other but is an achievement nonetheless.

The absolute opposite.  He was an incredible footballer and the fact that people think of him as some kind of supermodel playboy type completely neglects the fact that he was one of the hardest working players England ever had, played with passion and was technically one of the best passers and crossers of the ball this country has ever had. 

You don't get 100 caps for your country, play for Man Utd, Madrid and Ac Milan and be overrated.

Would he feature in United's greatest 11, No

Would he feature in Real's greatest 11, No

Would he feature in England's greatest 11, No

My point is, that although Beckham was a good footballer, the amount of attention he seeks/receives is way out of proportion with the ability he had.

Of course that's an achievement - it's all relative. Your example is like comparing Wigan's FA Cup win to us winning the JPT. Obviously one surmounts the other but is an achievement nonetheless.

Not quite comparable -your example is a team winning a major football trophy and another winning a minor one.

Is getting out of bed in the morning is an achievement, then?

Tattoo acceptance? An achievement, seriously?

I'm with the OP.

Great crossed and atitude.

But. Head left foot tackle etc.

played for Real cause he was good looking and sold lots of shirts. Compare him with Bobby charlton etc??

No comparison

No the op said he was the most overated ever which is complete rubbish.

Not quite comparable -your example is a team winning a major football trophy and another winning a minor one.

Is getting out of bed in the morning is an achievement, then?

Tattoo acceptance? An achievement, seriously?

Well no, but "getting out of bed" is just a puerile example.

I don't think you are going to change your mind about this but tattoo acceptance is an achievement.

I don't see how being able to beat players makes you great? On that basis Chris waddle was better than Charlton.

For the job he had of delivering crosses and set pieces I would challenge you to name a better England player in the last 50 years?[/quote

Ball,

Peters

Hurst,

Charlton,

Moore,

Keegan,

Brooking,

Hoodie,

Gerrard,

Lampard

Etc

Christ... some people let their dislike of the guy get ahead of his clear talent. He wasn't a 'winger' but he made Right Midfield his own my focusing on what he did do best. An absolute class act and a model professional who all the young kids these days could take something from.

Who is saying Beckham is one of the greatest players even to make him over-rated? Everyone knows he was a 'limited' footballer, but he is now more of a celebrity which is why this in the paper.

I'm sure there are more pointless stories in the newspaper to get so annoyed about rather than the birthday of one of the most recognisable people in the world...

He alongside Lampard was one f the hardest practicing players England have ever had

Also,immensely proud to play for his country and his speech when he stepped down as England skipper one of the best I've ever heard

Never ducked matches or squads because of a 'niggle' , happy to travel half way across the world to sit on the bench for England, despite what he'd done in his career

Him and his missus also do loads of unpublicised charity work

Doesn't stop him being overrated but I have Total respect and admiration for the bloke

Whatever anyone's opinion of just how good he was. -the title of he thread has to be probably the most ridiculous claim I've heard on here - and with 'Miss Robored the obsessive' that takes some doing !

Unfortunately jealousy is a terrible thing and produces jars of bitterness

Beckham was very good but not great. Massively overrated all the same, simply because non football people think his fame reflects his level of football achievement. He is much bigger celebrity than he was a footballer - which I assume is the OPs point.

On a tangent, had to laugh that someone suggested Hurst as better though - I had him in mind as an alternative "most overrated" because his reputation is largely based on one great game.

Archived