IGNORED

The Most Overrated Footballer Of All Time

Malago

All I can say is anyone who thinks Beckham was over rated and not a great footballer, patently knows very little about football and has probably seen very little football.

I saw him play live in several European Championships Matches at OT in his prime and he was simply sensational.

For him to be overrated, that means that someone is saying he's better than he is. Who? Anyone who knows anything about football knows he doesn't sit in the same league as Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, etc. Even the media don't talk about him in those terms. It was widely known that he had his limitations as a player and I don't think it was generally ever suggested otherwise.

One of the greats? No. Overrated? Certainly not.

The two most important things in football are

1 Your first touch

2 Your final ball

Anything you do in between those mean nothing

Like him or hate him Beckhams final pass was world class

Hmmmm. Be a strange sort of Subbuteo like game with no tackling or defending your goal area. 

If he's overrated, who is exactly is it that is overrating him? Most people who know football know he wasn't the most gifted player of all time, and he is never spoken about by the media or anyone in the same terms as modern greats such as Zidane or Messi (rightly so).

However, he clearly had a fantastic work ethic and made the very most of the talent he did have to become one of England's most capped players ever. His crossing and free kick ability was also exceptional.

I would also say that his performance v Greece was one of the few occasions I have ever seen one player truly carry a team. He was all over the pitch that day, not to mention the free kick at the end. One of the best individual performances I have ever seen.

Totally agree with everything you have said.

His performance against Greece at Old Trafford was simply sensational. One of the best displays from an England captain of all time.

If anything he's underatted, he's the best long passer we've ever produced.

As the person who started this cursed thread Id like to call a 48 hour truce so we can concentrate on what really matters, celebrating our first league winning team in 60 years and the celebrations on Monday.

Therafter, we can argue to our hearts content the merits of Mr. D Beckham over the dead months of the close season.

COYR

There was outcry at real madrid when he was dropped after announcing that he was leaving for LA. Anyone who thinks he was only in the team for his looks (despite this being the reason they signed him) is naive. He played a huge part in them winning the league that year.

We all bang on about how English players lack the same technical ability as foreign players and that our players lose the ball too easily yet Beckham who was easily one of our best players at keeping the ball and creating chances is overated because he can't beat a man or head the ball?

look him up on YouTube and re watch his goals and free kicks (hell there is one video where he plays probably the best cross you will ever see to set Ronaldo up for Madrid). The guy gets grief as he is famous for other things but he was also a very very good footballer.

Not to mention the work he's done in trying to make the beautiful game popular in the states, he's lead a whole generation of wannabes and hopefuls they are now an arguably a better side than England now. I've nothing but respect for the man, he's a positive embassador for the Eglish game..........oh and he chills with snoop dog, nuff said!

I'm with the OP.

Great crossed and atitude.

But. Head left foot tackle etc.

played for Real cause he was good looking and sold lots of shirts. Compare him with Bobby charlton etc??

No comparison

Hear, hear, I agree with this. Over-rated, overpaid and frankly not a patch on great players like Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore.

Hear, hear, I agree with this. Over-rated, overpaid and frankly not a patch on great players like Bobby Charlton or Bobby Moore.

I would not dispute that Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore were fantastic players - that Jimmy Greaves wasn't bad either as were (I am sure) many others before my time.

But, unless I missed something in the thread, nobody has suggested otherwise and nobody was comparing him with them.

The question/point argued would seem to be: was DB overrated?

Assuming that nobody is saying he was the best player ever (and I don't think they are) then to say that he was a top class player is , imo, correct and it would be wrong to say that he was overrated. 

The USA as a nationalteam have greatly improved as an infrastructure since DB has joined the MLS, he's drawn players to a league previously made up of journeyman and in turn the National (USA) have improved.

I think he's become somewhat of an eldersatesman of the English game and has greatly improved personably and there's know don't he's grown intellectually, personally I find it very difficult to dislike the guy.

With his status, looks, money and charisma he could have become the stereotypical footballer, however he's been nothing short of a family role model, all of which can't be easy in a world of temptation, greed and dishonour.

I think he will continue to grow and with his drive, passion and belief then the FA are in good hands.

Of course there's a whole list of minor difficulties that we could being up and arguable he could let him cause him a problem but this guy

In my eyes is a RARE positive role model in a game filled with greed, dishonour, alledged rape and now even grooming.

Carry on lad.

Great player though he was, it seems to be overlooked on here that his petulance v Argentina cost us the 1998 World Cup. We would surely have won that game not lost on pens. When assessing a career every aspect of it must be taken into account, it is no good brushing certain parts of it under the carpet.

Great player though he was, it seems to be overlooked on here that his petulance v Argentina cost us the 1998 World Cup. We would surely have won that game not lost on pens. When assessing a career every aspect of it must be taken into account, it is no good brushing certain parts of it under the carpet.

I agree to an extent that he cost us in that game (though I wouldn't go as far as to say he cost us the World Cup). However, I believe the way he came back from the incident - and the disproportionate press reaction that followed - to become hugely popular and respected, adds to his status rather than detract from it.

I agree to an extent that he cost us in that game (though I wouldn't go as far as to say he cost us the World Cup). However, I believe the way he came back from the incident - and the disproportionate press reaction that followed - to become hugely popular and respected, adds to his status rather than detract from it.

Good point, he has to be admired for that.

But to come back as England captain knowing he was hated nationally and step up to the plate like he did against Greece and change near enough everyones view on him says a lot about the man. A true leader if ever there was one and extremely humble

Archived