IGNORED

Scrap The Playoffs

GrahamC

Well, the semi finals anyway.

After Norwich's win today every final this season from Championship down to Bananarama is between the highest placed two sides, so no point in the other games, was there?

I like them. Just because we had a couple of 3rd and then missed out some dont.

And, let us not forget, the rules are clear. For coming third your prize is qualification to the playoffs, just as it is for 6th. Third does not qualify you for automatic promotion and you've no right of promotion just a reprieve or second chance. Doesnt matter how many points clear of 6th you may be; it's irrelevant, just like all those marks you get just over a grade boundary in an exam for example.

• Admin

Really?!

The play offs are the best thing to be introduced into football since it's creation, IMO.

The best thing to be introduced into football since its creation for me is "Bristol City FC".

Really?!

The play offs are the best thing to be introduced into football since it's creation, IMO.

For me, it's that a goal cannot be scored direct from a throw in.

Well, the semi finals anyway.

After Norwich's win today every final this season from Championship down to Bananarama is between the highest placed two sides, so no point in the other games, was there?

Go and check the averages of that down the years. Regardless of what you find it is hardly the point; The Play Offs keep an interest going for a good half of the teams in any given league right up to a 3-4 weeks before the end of a season. It is not too much of an exaggeration to say the play offs are the best thing that has happened to the Football League, indeed the entire pyramid since, well, sliced bread and on countless different levels and for dozens of different reasons. They were a game changer when they were first introduced.

To suggest the abolition one must be seriously out of touch; the sort of horrendous idea that someone like Michael Foot used to come up with in his manifesto of the early 1980's. Thankfully the vast majority of the electorate were far too intelligent to fall for his 'charms'.

To suggest the abolition one must be seriously out of touch; the sort of horrendous idea that someone like Michael Foot used to come up with in his manifesto of the early 1980's. Thankfully the vast majority of the electorate were far too intelligent to fall for his 'charms'.

An example of typical arrogant right wing shit.

Wow scrap the playoffs? Probably the best thing the FA have introduced to the Football League if I am honest would be crazy to scrap it. If a 3rd place team loses to a 6th placed team then tough luck you werent good enough over the 2 games.

And tough luck, you weren't good enough to finish in the top two. Play-offs are great. Those who say it's just about money are probably the same people that think everything is a conspiracy.

The play-offs keep the season alive for a lot longer and make many many games actually mean something. Disagree with its use in rugby though. If you win a league you should be promoted. If you come second or third then you have no God given right to go up and therefore play-offs is acceptable.

I'd add a playoff to the Premier League. Get the top four to play for the title.

I must admit I'd detest that. I would, however play off for the final champions league spot if possible.

Go and check the averages of that down the years. Regardless of what you find it is hardly the point; The Play Offs keep an interest going for a good half of the teams in any given league right up to a 3-4 weeks before the end of a season. It is not too much of an exaggeration to say the play offs are the best thing that has happened to the Football League, indeed the entire pyramid since, well, sliced bread and on countless different levels and for dozens of different reasons. They were a game changer when they were first introduced.

Worth pointing out that Michael Foot was a genuine football supporter who loved Plymouth Argyle, unlike a certain Mr Cameron who can't remember who he DOES support :facepalm:

I like the playoffs, except I think they should give an advantage to the third and forth place teams. Often its a team that is in form at the end of the season and makes a run rather than the higher placed team who have amassed the points over the season. Therefore I would make the first playoff game a single leg, with the third and forth place team having home advantage.

So that's why it was introduced then, not for generating money ?

Money to who? Sky and BT do not bid millions to show the League 2 and Vanarama play offs. Any financial gains are primarily towards the clubs involved, who benefit from larger than average gate receipts, and that is no bad thing.

The playoffs keep the season interesting for many teams whose seasons would otherwise be over by February/March. Good news for everyone. They also give clubs at various levels an opportunity to play a showpiece match at Wembley.

They are a great innovation and it's a lazy argument to dismiss everything as being for the purposes of generating money.

Archived