IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Got admitted to hospital on Friday night. Gutted to miss it but on the other hand he single handed had carried ten other passengers in last two games which simply isn't good enough! Letting anyone score 227 on your own turf shouldn't happen!

Yeah, I completely agree. I can't help but think how exciting he would've been in an old side with Kieswetter. Compton and Buttler. Somerset seem to be on a bit of a downward spiral.

I hope you're feeling better mate!

• Like 2

Somerset's bowling hasn't been good enough for seasons, Thomas has been a poor limited overs bowler for years now always going over 9 an over pretty much. Somerset should have tried bringing in a top class seam bowler for T20 and maybe instead of Rehman or whoever is the full season overseas player.

• Admin

Not sure if it was the same yesterday but Kent played Friday night and beat Surrey playing 11 Englishman. Full credit to them.

We've deliberately gone down the route of having no overseas player despite now having slightly better finances. Think we have accepted we have hit rock bottom over the last couple of years and our young players will only improve with game time.

The World Boss has certainly been a big hit in Newton Abbot this afternoon / evening. Somerset have been hyping him up so much in the months since he signed, I thought there's no way he can live up to this hype.

In fact in the 5 days he's been here, he's been a bigger star on and off the pitch than anyone could have dreamt.

Will it be good enough to win us a trophy? No.

The county bosses have really ballsed up imo, most of there eggs in one basket with Gale while forgetting the rest of the team, not replacing players, average overseas players, bar Gale, who is only here for a few weeks.

Most members want the elusive championship and that seems like it's been completely overlooked.

Although Taunton has a small town feel about it, we are in fact one of the best supported counties in the country, with one of the highest memberships, we should be looking to win that title.

• Like 2

Really feel for Craig. Terrible injury. I'd hoped he'd make it back but the writing was on the wall some time ago. All the best to him in whatever he goes on to do.

It's a devastating loss for Somerset too. Barrow is doing his best and may end up being a very good cricketer for Somerset but Kieswetter he ain't. We'd two exciting young keeper batsmen a couple of years ago, and now we've none. That said we'd not be seeing much of Jos anymore now anyway.

• Like 1

• Admin

Gutted for him as always a top bloke off of the pitch.

Like said above, it was a freak accident - remember when it happened it seemed pretty inocuous.

Like when Mark Boucher was caught with the bail, seemed nothing in it at the time, but sadly cost the careers of two great players!

Anyway on to tonight, anyone going?

Will be with the noisy bunch in our usual space in front of the electric scoreboard

How awful. In an interview, he seems to state that his retirement is as much due to mental reasons as the physical injury itself. One can only begin to imagine how difficult it must be to face a cricket ball coming at you at 100mph when, in the back of your mind, you remember what happened last time.

I hope he finds something worthwhile in his new career. 

• Like 1

I did, a very enjoyable game. Thought the whole team bowled and batted well.

Tricky games to follow with the likes of Glos flying along.

Back to the proper stuff this week..

Never thought I'd see the day... Scared of the little old Glos! We've got you running Somerset!

• Like 1

I know he's formerly of your parish and he did some damage to mine last night, but those last couple of overs from Buttler last night... wow

Gayle seems to genuinely be a great lad: "I'll be celebrating with the lads and a few ciders tonight for sure". What a bloke!

Awful news about Kieswetter too, destructive player and great cricketer on his day. Such a shame that he's missing probably 10 years of his career because of something that could have happened to any player

I know he's formerly of your parish and he did some damage to mine last night, but those last couple of overs from Buttler last night... wow

Gayle seems to genuinely be a great lad: "I'll be celebrating with the lads and a few ciders tonight for sure". What a bloke!

Awful news about Kieswetter too, destructive player and great cricketer on his day. Such a shame that he's missing probably 10 years of his career because of something that could have happened to any player

He bats way too low for england. His batting is effortless. Class act.

He bats way too low for england. His batting is effortless. Class act.

I think for the test team 6 is about right; you need to plan positively and hope there's 400 on the board when he comes in so he can play his natural game and give it some tap. In the shorter form I'd be thinking about him coming in at 3 or 4
  • Like 1

We need to get into the mindset of players being able to float up and down the batting order depending on the situation. Too often with England they'll slot a player in somewhere in the order and he'll stay there, regardless of what score he comes in at.

Buttler came in at 5 for Lancs last night which was ideal for him in the context of the game, however if he'd come in maybe 3 overs later, he wouldn't have had the time to get set.

Incidentally, given the recent talk of a franchise T20 tournament, the Roses match last night was a pointer to what it'd be like. 2 teams based in big cities and fierce rivals, playing in a Test venue which was full with a cracking atmosphere, with a good sprinkling of current England players, some on the fringes and a couple of big name internationals.

• Admin

We need to get into the mindset of players being able to float up and down the batting order depending on the situation. Too often with England they'll slot a player in somewhere in the order and he'll stay there, regardless of what score he comes in at.

Buttler came in at 5 for Lancs last night which was ideal for him in the context of the game, however if he'd come in maybe 3 overs later, he wouldn't have had the time to get set.

Incidentally, given the recent talk of a franchise T20 tournament, the Roses match last night was a pointer to what it'd be like. 2 teams based in big cities and fierce rivals, playing in a Test venue which was full with a cracking atmosphere, with a good sprinkling of current England players, some on the fringes and a couple of big name internationals.

Exactly this. When Cook fell last test at 177-1 the stage was set for Stokes or Buttler. Instead England stuck to their order, Ballance came in, the runs dried up and pressure was exerted and criminally we fell to around 250-8 & ultimately this lost us the Test in my mind.

Exactly this. When Cook fell last test at 177-1 the stage was set for Stokes or Buttler. Instead England stuck to their order, Ballance came in, the runs dried up and pressure was exerted and criminally we fell to around 250-8 & ultimately this lost us the Test in my mind.

Presumably it would have taken a committee decision to change the batting order?