IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin
46 minutes ago, BCFC Taunton1 said:

Yes, we had CEO's of other clubs we were due to play willing to pay a fee to guarantee he would play at their grounds last year.

OK - He will only be playing twice away for us this season

What I meant was, am sure for what we are paying him for those 6 games we could actually sign a player that would be of more use?

Michael Clarke coming out of retirement and looking to play shorter format of cricket, wants to play IPL, BBL and County Cricket, would be a good player for a county to get in, given Somerset have just signed Gayle maybe someone to approach for the other 6 games plus if they get through.

• Admin

The T20 franchise thing looks dead in the water then !

I wonder whether Bristol Sport would have got on board with that had it happened?

English T20 hit for six

The chances of a franchise-based Twenty20 competition in England look dead in the water. 

There has been overwhelming support on the ECB working group for a T20 featuring the 18 counties in two divisions, plus a reduction in County Championship cricket from 16 games to 14. 

The new format for 2017 is expected to be rubberstamped at an ECB board meeting on March 7. 

Lancashire won last year's T20 Blast, but the chances of a franchise-bast competition is dead in the water

Lancashire won last year's T20 Blast, but the chances of a franchise-bast competition is dead in the water

The eight quarter-finalists from this season’s domestic T20 Blast plus a ninth team from a play-off will make up the top division for 2017. 

The three counties who were represented on the working group — Somerset, Kent and Surrey — all favour 18-county involvement.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3459201/Leeds-fan-says-paid-praise-owner-Massimo-Cellino-online-club-hoped-supporters-onside.html#ixzz40zTQmjQ8 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Admin
46 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone know when tickets go on sale for the Gayle-force T20 games at Taunton?

The 7 match passe is on sale https://ticketing.somersetcountycc.co.uk/Online/bundleSelect.asp?createBO::WSbundlemap=1&BOset::WSbundlemap::seatmap::bundle_id=A4544AEA-4791-4B32-83C4-42CEDC5F319F

I'll see if I can find out about the individual fixtures

13 hours ago, phantom said:

The T20 franchise thing looks dead in the water then !

I wonder whether Bristol Sport would have got on board with that had it happened?

English T20 hit for six

The chances of a franchise-based Twenty20 competition in England look dead in the water. 

There has been overwhelming support on the ECB working group for a T20 featuring the 18 counties in two divisions, plus a reduction in County Championship cricket from 16 games to 14. 

The new format for 2017 is expected to be rubberstamped at an ECB board meeting on March 7. 

• SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

+7

The eight quarter-finalists from this season’s domestic T20 Blast plus a ninth team from a play-off will make up the top division for 2017. 

The three counties who were represented on the working group — Somerset, Kent and Surrey — all favour 18-county involvement.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3459201/Leeds-fan-says-paid-praise-owner-Massimo-Cellino-online-club-hoped-supporters-onside.html#ixzz40zTQmjQ8 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thank goodness for that! As you can bet the franchises would have been staged at test match only grounds.

• Admin
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 15:42, Tomarse said:

Don't think individuals are on sale yet.  The Glos/Somerset game should sell out quickly with Gayle featuring in that too.  First season without a membership in a long while.. boo.

All home tickets are on sale from today 

Stupid idea, div 2 could now be settled on not having to play a club twice.

I'd have created 3 divisions based on how the 2016 season finished. 1-6 = Div 1, 7-9 and 1-3 in Div 2 and then 4-9 in Div 2 would make the new Div 3. This would mean 10 games 4 day matches when playing home and away, a potential 16 days less of cricket and creates much more time for rest or 1 day cricket.

I prefer T20 games are being clumped together (if 2 batches) as opposed to every Friday.

57 minutes ago, Cotham Brow Red said:

Loving the new floodlights by the way. Just casually looked out he window a few weeks ago and thought what the kin ell is that? Seemed to appear there over night. Great addition to the Bristol skyline I think.

Sort of Martian chic, CBR?

3 hours ago, Cotham Brow Red said:

Loving the new floodlights by the way. Just casually looked out he window a few weeks ago and thought what the kin ell is that? Seemed to appear there over night. Great addition to the Bristol skyline I think.

Tilly Vacher must be raging.

Great to see though that clubs can finally make some progress in the city.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Tilly Vacher must be raging.

Great to see though that clubs can finally make some progress in the city.

Reckon she'll camp at the top of one in protest?

I wondered who she was and picked up this gem from Gaschat of all places...

The newly developed Ashton Gate stadium has been described as a "blot on the landscape" by one woman with arguably one of the best views in the city.

Clifton resident Tilly Vacher's view has been so disrupted by the stadium and its floodlights, that she has been left questioning how it made it past planning.

In an open letter the Mayor of Bristol George Ferguson and Bristol Sport, which operates Ashton Gate, Ms Vacher said it is "sad" the stadium now dominates the landscape.

"The stadium has utterly transformed all our views across the city day and night," she said. "It is a massive blot on the landscape and so many locals have asked 'why on earth is it a light shiny cream?'.

"It reflects the sunlight and the street lights at night enormously."

She lives in the Paragon in Clifton, which is two miles away and as expensive as as it gets. On a personal note, it was seeing the original AG lights from a garret in Caledonia Place, no great distance from there, that decided me to be a City supporter.

Edited by Aizoon

Feel Somerset are going all out with the bat to try and win as normal, feel our bowling attack may let us down (again.....) this season. Really wanted us to use the other spot to sign an overseas keeper for T20, if Davies doesn't work out we're looking at Barrow or Trescothick behind the stumps again. Any of de Kock, AB, McCullum or Wade would have been very exciting.