IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

16 hours ago, Tomarse said:

When is it acceptable to start questioning Maynard? His second full season and again it's nearly June with not a single win (same as per last year). Stagnation at best, going backwards at worst.

At the end of last season.

Against all odds, however (hopefully), we have got off to a pretty good start this morning and, weather permitting, might yet escape from this debacle later today/tomorrow.

• Admin

Tom is always gonna be tough in the first division for any of the non Test venue counties. A good season is simply staying up. I see the changes to a 8/10 split to be favouring the haves even more. Question needs to be asked, would the ECB be happier if all the have-not counties like Kent and Somerset just gave up and they could crack on with a City based franchise around the Test venues? I'm sure if they were being honest they'd say yes.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Somerset pay some of the best wages in the land are probably better supported than most. It's not that i expect silverware, it's that I expect us to be in contention and not fighting relegation each year. 

But you don't have the "glamour" of playing in a big city at a Test match venue. The Surrey's, Middlesex's, Lancashire's etc will always have that going for them as well as paying good wages. It will also be in a player's mind that if they have international ambitions they are better off playing for one of those counties as they are the ones the selectors pay most attention to. How many times do Kent, Glos, Somerset cricketers put in top performances all season (Kent notsomuch with the "good performances all season" but Darren Stevens should have had a one day career) and when an injury occurs the call goes out to the latest Test venue county player to score a big score?

Can I just point out here, as the sole Worcestershire fan on here, that Jack Shantry scored a ton against Glos....the second ton of his career, the 2nd 50 coming off just 14 balls

Should also point out Big Jack is a City fan, hope that softens the blow for all my mates who were giving me crap at 3-2 and 14-3, or whatever we were :yawn:

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Can I just point out here, as the sole Worcestershire fan on here, that Jack Shantry scored a ton against Glos....the second ton of his career, the 2nd 50 coming off just 14 balls

Should also point out Big Jack is a City fan, hope that softens the blow for all my mates who were giving me crap at 3-2 and 14-3, or whatever we were :yawn:

Possible Somerset target in the summer? ;)

14 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Hope the rain stays away tomorrow. Could be interesting.

22 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Nobody cares about the basement league!

8 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hope the rain stays away tomorrow. Could be interesting.

I work in Malvern - it doesn't look too good right now mate.....don't think Glos would want to be chasing too many if they do get on

55 minutes ago, Super said:

Nobody cares about the basement league!

Ha, I'll remember that when Somerset go down.....!!!

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Could be a matter of time if we continue fawning over T20 players and not strengthening the side properly. Hope I'm wrong.

We'll be fine this season - lots more promise in the last few games.

Surrey are dog shit and will go down, just one other from a choice of 2/3 max

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

1130 start at New Road - think Worcs are about 230 odd in front

Chuck the bat for an hour, get to 300 in front and let Shants and Leachy plough through them for 140 just before tea

Ideal! 

Well you've got the first half of your wish. Let's hope you don't get the second.

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Well you've got the first half of your wish. Let's hope you don't get the second.

315 to win....still overcast here, wouldn't fancy Glos getting anywhere near it, sadly I doubt Worcester will have enough time either

And I note that the slow bowlers have just been replaced with Leach (RFM) and Morris (RMF). Coincidental, I am sure.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the batsmen are 'offered' the light any longer, are they? Don't the umpires now decide by themselves?

Oh Dear. Never Mind.

Somerset are on later, and they have floodlights at Hove just in case.

They are back on again!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE