IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin

The other daft thing this season is the scheduling

For Somerset we play 3 games this week in the RL50 (yesterday Vs Glos, Wednesday Vs Surrey, Sunday Vs Essex)

Then like everyone else after June 15th, nobody plays a 50 over game again until July 24th

In that week Somerset play on the Sunday 24th (Glam H), Tuesday 26th (Middsx H) and Saturday 30th (Sussex H)

Finishing on Tuesday 02nd August at Hants

Out of interest, what is the general preference for a thrilling match?

Almost 900 runs in one day - exceptional.

A high-scoring and tense finish, with a one wicket victory (Glos/Somerset).

Or a low-scoring Championship game, seeing a certain Mr Batty go red in the face (for a change) with another tense, one-wicket victory.

11 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Glos loose another local clash. Would they trade a poor season in the OD stuff for a pop at promotion to div1?

As a fan, maybe, but I'm not sure that'd be in the club's best interests. There's surely more money to be made from good runs in the one day cups and the chances of actually succeeding in promotion this season are pretty slim I'd have thought.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2016 at 22:01, Tomarse said:

I'd imagine if Levi hadn't been injured (runner and sprained wrist) they'd have had a chance.

Glos loose another local clash. Would they trade a poor season in the OD stuff for a pop at promotion to div1?

I would. Of course, only one goes up this year so we'll finish second. It is written :(

• Admin

No idea why this is on the Bristol Sport website - but they have a story saying Hamish Marshall is to leave Gloucestershire at the end of the season after 11 years

Perhaps when the Somerset fans were questioning his fielding ability last Sunday when he said he didn't care - we now know why !

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Glos putting up the worst title defence in living memory....

Does seem these days it's 300 minimum batting first. Having said that they should of really won on Sunday defending a similar total.

48 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Glos putting up the worst title defence in living memory....

Absolute awful selection today. Why is Jack Taylor not playing??? His batting alone wins matches, should be playing instead of Cockbain.

As for Noema-Barnett, quite possibly one of the worst players to ever don the Glos shirt. Rank average batsman and bowler. Not contributed any real inns or bowling spell of note since he joined. We've signed the talented all rounder Van-Buuren who has a miles better batting and bowling average yet somehow hasn't been selected!

Think I can do a better job selecting the side. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Somerset briefly trying to choke in only a way they can..

Only briefly, all over now! I fail to see how we could have had the same runs as them, four wickets less down and three overs left and STILL would have lost on D/L. Crazy!

Anyway, even though he didn`t play, have that Batty you charmless nerk!

• Like 1

Glos were pathetic today, top to bottom - barring Hamish Marshall with the bat (who incidentally then ran Cockbain out and two balls later played a pathetic shot to get out, presumably his mind was elsewhere) & Liam Norwell who bowled and fielded well. Craig Miles is one of the worst fielders I've ever seen, probably the worst. 

15 hours ago, Kezman said:

Absolute awful selection today. Why is Jack Taylor not playing??? His batting alone wins matches, should be playing instead of Cockbain.

As for Noema-Barnett, quite possibly one of the worst players to ever don the Glos shirt. Rank average batsman and bowler. Not contributed any real inns or bowling spell of note since he joined. We've signed the talented all rounder Van-Buuren who has a miles better batting and bowling average yet somehow hasn't been selected!

Think I can do a better job selecting the side. 

Presumably Taylor wasn't playing because he could no longer bowl and they'd suffered a bit from a lack of available bowlers in the previous two games. That said, he'd batted better than Cockbain in the previous matches and he can be so dangerous it does seem madness to leave him out.

No idea why Noema-Barnett was preferred to Van Beuren. He really does need to start showing why he was worth his contract soon. I think he can be forgiven last year as a settling in period but he's got to produce something this year.

We probably shouldn't be expecting to win the trophy again this year. Last year they won it through determination and a fair bit of good fortune, rather than by being an exceptionally good side, but a failure to get out of the group stage, which now looks highly likely, would be massively disappointing.