IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Two horse race now !

Probably more like three horses, in my opinion:

Hampshire look good, although will be missing both Vince and Dawson for the next few matches.

Essex appear strong, although seem to be heading for a draw today.

Finally, and I appreciate this makes an extra horse, as an outsider, and although weakened as ever by England call-ups (though strengthened by a certain Dominic Bess!), Yorkshire can never be ruled out.

On 06/06/2019 at 11:58, PHILINFRANCE said:

I appreciate that the large lady has probably yet to even leave her seat, but I hope that Messrs. @TomF, @ralphindevon and @Super are more relaxed this morning than they seemed to be yesterday evening.

I tend to agree with @phantom that there appears to be some resilience and 'never say die' attitude in the team this year - the baby-faced, almost cherubic looking Tom Abell would seem to be a bit harder than he looks.

Now 7 wickets down, and perhaps thoughts may be turning to claiming the extra half hour  - if the match is not already completed by lunch. 

Edited to note that, whilst our old friend Mr Batty has long gone, our other friend, Rikki Clarke, is now facing.

I just asked for a couple quick wickets for me to be relaxed, I must say it was a lot easier than I'd imagined.

I'm trying to remember back to the seasons we've finished 2nd and even the season we tied on points. Is it just me or does this team seem a better all round team than those? 

Everyone is contributing, except maybe Marcus, though his experience on the field  and slip catching can't be ignored.

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I must say it was a lot easier than I'd imagined. Me as well. Surrey's fourth innings response on Wednesday evening (Burns' late dismissal notwithstanding) and their positive start on Thursday morning left me fearing yet another 'cock-up' against Surrey: luckily, our oft-maligned 'fast' bowling duo saved the day.

Is it just me or does this team seem a better all round team than those? Certainly, in my opinion - I repeat my support for Tom Abell. 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

This certainly feels as good a side as 2010 if not better - Here's hoping.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I don't mind Glos too much, watched them from the old sports and social club when I was at College there many years ago.  He's also a client of Clik for many a year, top bloke. 

I just hate Surrey for the record :laughcont:

Being of a young age when Somerset moved out of Bristol, Gloucestershire were always my team. My dad seemed to be more of Gloucestershire fan anyway, probably because his favourite player was Wally Hammond, so as a family we have always been one of those anomalies, (City and Glos) that crop up every now and then.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Being of a young age when Somerset moved out of Bristol, Gloucestershire were always my team. My dad seemed to be more of Gloucestershire fan anyway, probably because his favourite player was Wally Hammond, so as a family we have always been one of those anomalies, (City and Glos) that crop up every now and then.

Am I on my own by liking Glos’ & Somerset? Went to Lords following ‘Proctorshire’ and was a regular down the Imperial Ground when Somerset played down there in the John Player League, I suppose living in South Bristol there is more of a Somerset connection, Brislington  was actually in Somerset in living memory

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I’m City and Glos too, but unlike in Football, I was pleased to see Somerset win at Lords the other week. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There are loads of City fans at Glos and always have been.

And why not? I'm not sure I've ever been to Taunton, a remote little town somewhere miles away down south, while Glos are about five minutes walk from my house! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, City Rocker said:

There are loads of City fans at Glos and always have been.

And why not? I'm not sure I've ever been to Taunton, a remote little town somewhere miles away down south, while Glos are about five minutes walk from my house! 

Somerset is a 2 minute walk from our beloved AG, do Glos still play in the quaint little village of Moreton-in-the-Marsh?

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can you see Somerset play from Ashton Gate? No, thought not.

Some of us don't live in AG.

Gloucestershire is to the north, and north is Gas. 

Anywhere south of the Avon is historically Somerset until it became part of the City and County of Bristol. South Bristol has never been in Gloucestershire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Some of us don't live in AG.

Gloucestershire is to the north, and north is Gas. 

Anywhere south of the Avon is historically Somerset until it became part of the City and County of Bristol. South Bristol has never been in Gloucestershire.

Well I was born in Hotwells before moving to Bedminster, so I guess I was “North of the river”. ?