IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is it? Just shows how much interest I`ve been taking then. Presumably the powers that be are hoping it will take off so Sky will pay big bucks for it in future seasons.

Nope

The whole point of the hundred was to get a lot of games on free-to-air tv and it was widely reported (and further confirmed by bbc spokesman) that they were having a large say in the rules.

BBC want to cram games into 2 hour slots so told the ECB that they would recommend a 10 ball over to speed things up.

For once, Sky are blameless, BBC have been a ******* nightmare in this process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

A bit wet at Worcester, looks like they will be playing at out grounds for a few weeks !!

Worcestershire County Cricket Club completely submerged after heavy floods

This happens every single year and I don't think it has been the wettest year on record by any stretch. Maybe they should turn it into an aquatics centre and be done with it! 

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

This happens every single year and I don't think it has been the wettest year on record by any stretch. Maybe they should turn it into an aquatics centre and be done with it! 

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Indeed.  I honestly think they should consider moving, its not going to get any better. 

I understand your negative feelings about New Road, but it really is one of the most picturesque grounds in County Cricket; almost as pretty as The County Ground at Taunton ?.

The entire ground staff have always been extremely friendly and accommodating whenever I have been there and it is just a short walk in to the town should there be a lengthy delay due to rain or whatever - plus no hassle going in and out of the ground. 

• Like 1

• Admin
18 hours ago, Coppello said:

15 hours ago, TomF said:

Indeed.  I honestly think they should consider moving, its not going to get any better. 

I'm assuming the race course just across the road gets flooded just as bad

Am sure I am correct in saying that when this happens it does drain away VERY quickly - am sure I read that once before this happened they were back playing there 23 days later?

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm assuming the race course just across the road gets flooded just as bad

Am sure I am correct in saying that when this happens it does drain away VERY quickly - am sure I read that once before this happened they were back playing there 23 days later?

It does. 

My lad was art college in Worcester and the cricket square was frequently flooded being right alongside the river. 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It does. 

My lad was art college in Worcester and the cricket square was frequently flooded being right alongside the river. 

A few years back I watched Somerset up there in a T20 match, it started raining during the last over of the match .

By the time we got to the pub just across the bridge the roads were flooded, sadly as it was so wet and flooded we were forced to stay in the pub and get a later train home :whistle:

On 18/06/2019 at 18:18, PHILINFRANCE said:

I understand your negative feelings about New Road, but it really is one of the most picturesque grounds in County Cricket; almost as pretty as The County Ground at Taunton ?.

The entire ground staff have always been extremely friendly and accommodating whenever I have been there and it is just a short walk in to the town should there be a lengthy delay due to rain or whatever - plus no hassle going in and out of the ground. 

... provided you bring your own canoe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On another note... I have memories of watching Somerset play a Sunday match against Clevedon cricket club at their ground on Dial Hill in the 60's? I think Somerset had the likes of Brian Langford, Fred Rumsey, a very young Peter Denning and maybe Bill Alley still playing in the team. I assume this was a one off "charity/community match."? Anyone else remember this? Do Somerset have time for these matches now with so many different competitions running during the season?

• Admin
38 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well the bowlers must be feeling pissed off.  Just about hanging in with a chance if we bat out of our skins*

*all out for 103

They've done their job this morning, now over to the batsman, 269 to win

Out top 8 can all bat, so lets do this !

I do think winning is too big an ask, at this point I'd be happy enough if a few batsman manage to really dig in and we get to 200ish.

Looking at the in play odds though, Essex 1/2, Somerset 13/8, Draw 28/1 so it would appear others have a lot more faith than I do.