IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin
2 hours ago, TomF said:

Duckett seems unlikely to bat, been off pitch all day. Patel will play instead of Nash.  Guessing Ravi can play spin better.. 

That went well lol. Drove all the way from Nottingham to score one run. 

Cheers Samit 

• Haha 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

40/5  40/6

40/7!?! ?

If we lose, we're surely done in terms of promotion. I mean the gap may not be so big in terms of points, given it's quite a close Second Division when it comes to the race for 3rd- but 1 win in 9, if we lose suggests not for us!

Oh dear that didn't go well....

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Oh dear that didn't go well....

Just had to laugh at slipping to 40/7. Felt.damage done in that session before lunch- and wiyj that another year in Division Two awaits!

As I said earlier, Somerset a bit unlucky IMO- setting that pace, 15 points is no margin at all- feeling that quite often your margin would be somewhat heftier with that many points by now!

Remaining fixtures:

Essex:

13-16 July - Warwickshire (H)

18-21 August - Kent (A)

10-13 Sept - Warwickshire (A)

16-19 Sept - Surrey (H)

23-26 Sept - Somerset (A)

Somerset:

13-16 July - Yorkshire (A)

18-21 August - Warwickshire (A)

10-13 Sept - Yorkshire (H)

16-19 Sept - Hampshire (A)

23-26 Sept - Essex (H)

So three away games each and two home games remaining, ending with the big finale in Taunton at the end of September. The game this weekend is massive as I wouldn't fancy going to the T20 break in second place. I can't see Essex dropping any points at home which adds additional pressure on the final game. 

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Hmm really does feel like we’re going to lose him sooner or later.  Surely he’s good enough to bat at 6 or even open, aside from his bowling. 

I'm optimistic if he does well for Yorkshire this season we'll be persuaded to play him next season, Max is 31 Roelof is 34 so a good season this year for him and he could come in as our 1 day spinner for next season. If Leach gets his test place back then next season Bess could play a lot of cricket for us. 

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just making sure he gets a few runs to cement his inevitable recall for The Ashes. Let`s face it, we all know they`ll bloody pick him again and he`ll fail miserably like he always does.

Noooooo

Noooooooooooooooo

(All joking aside can’t see him getting back in unless he rebuilds his technique -  when you think he was in our World Cup Squad last time :blink:)

Looks like we may need to hope for a surprise Essex defeat  

• Like 1

Thought it was a curious decision looking from outside to bowl first.

Tuned in to listen for a bit Saturday and when commentators said little movement, not a lot in it for the bowlers- well at Headingley traditionally look up not down.

Like I said before, you're a bit unlucky- such a good start and yet such a low margin for error owing to Essex nearly keeping pace.

Meanwhile in Division 2.

giphy.gif

Our current promotion prospects look a little something like this! Still 3 go up and we have games in hand, if we win this one it maybe game on again.

1 minute ago, TomF said:

Probably our toughest away game however, perhaps the wrong call on the toss but then again we've had some luck along the way lately.  At absolute worst we're going to be 4 points behind Essex end of tomorrow with 4 games to go - Essex have 3 away including Somerset last game of the season and just Surrey at home who may have Curran avaliable for that game.  Somerset - away at Warks, home to York, away to Hants and then home to Essex.   I sense it could go right to the last game. 

It may well go to the last game- at home you seem rather strong, that could be your ace in the pack Essex at home final game. Have it spinning like a top- but within County cricket regs of course.

I'd sooner Somerset won it despite supporting Gloucestershire than one of the usual suspects tbh- about time the West Country started building up its sport profile bigger (except a certain team in Bristol of course).

• Like 1

I certainly won't speak too soon about it, not after my early optimism last week that wasn't quite justified! ?. However!

Results appear to be falling our way in the race for 3rd or even 2nd in Division 2. Full bonus points with the ball today and game or games in hand- think Lancashire will be winning this League, Glamorgan still in a decent position but this can change- could be a very open push for 1, if not 2 promotion places.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Oh dear! That was quite disastrous. Even in defeat you usually get a minimum of 3 points, 3 for bowling on a bowler friendly wicket and at least 2 batting points and a couple bowling on a batting wicket but how you just get one when you've put them in is disaster.

Struggling to find a positive here, I suppose with a month gap now we've time to regroup and plan our last 4 games. 

And to be fair, in the seasons we've come tantilisingly close we've been more than 4 points behind the leaders at this stage.