IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin
8 minutes ago, TomF said:

Thats what I mean we should have tossed to bat first. Abell has got most calls right this season though.  I do think it was more to do with missing Leach than the toss thou. 

Completely agree, at least looking at the Lions it would be a big shock if Leach was anywhere near that squad again for a while

4 hours ago, TomF said:

The only plus point is Essex have 3 out of the last 4 away from home so they can't create perfect pitches for Hammer and that one home game is against Surrey who won't be easy - and, of course, Surrey will most likely play that wily old spinner and great friend of Somerset, Mr Batty.  Just got to keep it tight next three and then its in our hands somewhat. 

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Completely agree, at least looking at the Lions it would be a big shock if Leach was anywhere near that squad again for a while

Jack Leach took three wickets in the second innings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Jack Leach took three wickets in the second innings.

Finished on 5 wickets before the Australia As declared. I'm pleased for him as if he carried on in a similar way to his first innings it would be pretty devastating. 

• Admin
16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The platform has been laid.

IF we win this one, we can look again at top 3, top 2- but more likely 3rd right now. Have to win though.

Certainly wide open league

I would say anyone apart from Leicestershire are in with a shout of the top 3

image.png

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

As of near lunch they are making heavy weather of it............looks like another draw :grr:

5 down first ball after Tea but it doesn't sound like much is going on.

@Super

They do seem to have been. More than that I heard on commentary one of the days a suggestion that they may effectively give up- not in practice but give up in a meaningful sense, the Championship and focus largely on One Day and 20/20.

Took a quick look and the 6 full seasons before this one, they've "won" the wooden spoon pretty often! Bottom of Division 2, 4 seasons out of 6.

6 down- into the tail now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

As of near lunch they are making heavy weather of it............looks like another draw :grr:

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 down first ball after Tea but it doesn't sound like much is going on.

@Super

They do seem to have been. More than that I heard on commentary one of the days a suggestion that they may effectively give up- not in practice but give up in a meaningful sense, the Championship and focus largely on One Day and 20/20.

Took a quick look and the 6 full seasons before this one, they've "won" the wooden spoon pretty often! Bottom of Division 2, 4 seasons out of 6.

6 down- into the tail now.

Certainly hotting up now - just 1 wicket left, 40ish ahead with 13 overs still to go (less the 2 overs for the innings change).

This seems like a really dumb rule

'If the scores are equal in a drawn match where play has taken place, the side batting in the fourth innings scores eight points plus any points scored in the first innings, and the opposing side scores five points plus any points scored in the first innings'

Phew!!

Wow that had its twists and turns- adds fun that way though.

Logged out for superstition reasons as I noticed when I was logged in for a while earlier things were just drifting, no real wickets all a bit meh. I had nagging nervous doubts about 48 off 8 overs, especially with Abbas at one end- high quality international bowler. We're still alive though, promotion wise- that 2020 West Country derby prospect is alive...just.