IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Indeed, hence my suspicion that Steve Davies may be off at the end of the season.

Incidentally, are you able to obtain a live stream anywhere - apart from clips on Facebook?

That's a good shout. He has been a bit disappointing in all honesty and rarely grabs any headlines. 

Sadly not, @TomF broke the bad news above. 

14 minutes ago, Coppello said:

That's a good shout. He has been a bit disappointing in all honesty and rarely grabs any headlines. 

I wouldn't say that SD has been disappointing; certainly not in 'red ball' cricket, where he has proved extremely useful this season, but I had understood that his preference was for white ball: unfortunately (for SD), young TB has been an astonishing find this season - he is currently 47NO off 22 balls. 

He has just got his 50 - 53 off 25. I have only just heard that tonight is his first T20!

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

The trouble I have with letting Davies go is Banton could find himself in the England fold very quickly and then what?  We could end up with no wicket keeper again 

I doubt it, not this season anyway.

There are currently ahead of him, YTB, JB, Foakes and even the other Lion beginning with D (whose name escapes me at present.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

I don't think there is any doubt that SD is the best keeper at Somerset, and also a competent 'red ball' batsman, but I don't think that is the problem.

My understanding is that SD considers himself a strong 'white ball' keeper/batsman and, indeed, I thought that was the reason he (was) signed.

I suspect that, if he doesn't appear in this season's T20, he will not be here next season.  

TB is now out, by the way - 64 off 34; quite a good debut....

10 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Never mind that team from Taunton, the official "One Team in Bristol" of County Cricket, the mighty Glos, had a fantastic last over win in their 4 day home game against Leicestershire (albeit at Cheltenham?!!)

Was mentioned indeed and covered- just, but we're still alive for top 3 and maybe even race for 2nd.

5 hours ago, TomF said:

It was a great win we did mention it above :) 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was mentioned indeed and covered- just, but we're still alive for top 3 and maybe even race for 2nd.

Yes, my mistake, had been out during the evening and hadn't noticed the Glos stuff.  Looks like today's T20 at Cheltenham v Glamorgan could be affected by the weather:grr: (severe understatement!), shame as this one sold out weeks ago