IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Any fellow reds going to Taunton ? 

Hopefully see a few down there ,  

on a side note I get the train from nailsea , and arrive in good time for a pre match beer , however now with the floodlights which means a later finish , there’s a train which leaves Taunton at 928.  Just as the game is finishing , or the next one is an hour later , I will have my lad with me.  So I’ve two choices leave early and leg it to the station or hang around late at night with my lad , what am I to do ?

The more sedate side, during what is mainly 20/20 season.

Bit of a slow start and at times it was a dicy one, but at the end of Day 1 Gloucestershire 339/7 v Worcestershire- not bad! This is our game in hand and we must make it count. Outground so scoring can be quick but at Cheltenham I'm not so sure it's always the case.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

• Admin
19 hours ago, kivsy said:

on a side note I get the train from nailsea , and arrive in good time for a pre match beer , however now with the floodlights which means a later finish , there’s a train which leaves Taunton at 928.  Just as the game is finishing , or the next one is an hour later , I will have my lad with me.  So I’ve two choices leave early and leg it to the station or hang around late at night with my lad , what am I to do ?

I'm going down this Sunday with a few friends, we normally drink in the Ale House just down from the station

I know what you mean about the dilema getting home, to be honest it has put me off going to the night games at the moment

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Good start. Win here would put you right back in the mix 

Listening on the radio, sounds promising- a win would put us joint 2nd with Glamorgan- a full bonus point one would've been up to 2nd but given tomorrow will be hot best to try to strike early today, maybe try to be batting by tomorrow under the sun to set a major target.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listening on the radio, sounds promising- a win would put us joint 2nd with Glamorgan- a full bonus point one would've been up to 2nd but given tomorrow will be hot best to try to strike early today, maybe try to be batting by tomorrow under the sun to set a major target.

Good start for us, but there's always some bugger gets runs 130 odd for  five at tea. Would you enforce follow on,( I always would  ) ?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Good start for us, but there's always some bugger gets runs 130 odd for  five at tea. Would you enforce follow on,( I always would  ) ?

Follow on (not seen the score since tea so dunno but am guessing) now looks highly unlikely but I wouldn't have been so sure- given the heat and humidity Tuesday- wear them down in the field in the hot sun and stick them in- if we're not bowled out due to a deteriorating pitch- for somewhere for maybe a tricky 8-10 overs at the end. Danger when its hot is bowlers run ragged, run ragged in the field then it's your side who has that tricky 8-10 overs at the end and maybe a collapse- pitches don't often deteriorate in the same way as the past but maybe it's different atm.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2019 at 15:37, kivsy said:

Why is it in these situations, which I often find myself in at football and cricket, the game is never a one sided affair with a certain result obvious well before the end, meaning you can sneak away quickly yo catch that early train?

No, you can guarantee it'll go to the wire with the final over taking 15 minutes as the fielding captain makes 50 fielding changes per ball.

With T20 it always feels a bit worse missing a bit as it's so short anyway but I can understand it if you have your lad with you 

4 batting and 3 bowling bonus points.

At worst- talking worst case scenario that is if we lose we will be a mere 3 points off the top 3. Win and we'll be joint 2nd, separated only by draws/defeat ratio so a win is very important. Draw and we'll be nestled in between 2nd and the chasing pack albeit with a small margin ahead.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Glos playing a bit like a typical Somerset side (of old).

Firstly they allow Worcs a near 50 run last wicket stand, and they are now three down for 35 in their second innings.

That 50 partnership could've swung momentum- we're currently 175 ahead with 5 wickets left- without that last wicket partnership we'd be well ahead and wondering what time to declare.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That 50 partnership could've swung momentum- we're currently 175 ahead with 5 wickets left- without that last wicket partnership we'd be well ahead and wondering what time to declare.

The way things are going currently, I should have thought just before lunch tomorrow - if you are still batting.

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The way things are going currently, I should have thought just before lunch tomorrow - if you are still batting.

A draw would take us into 3rd in fact- balance trying to win with trying not to lose, but the pitch doesn't sound so easy so hopefully before then- if indeed we're still batting. Cricinfo says 20.3 overs left- if we could tick along at 2.5-3 an over then we'd be nearly 250 on by the close. Have a bash in the morning- 80 overs to try to win?

• Like 1