IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Wicket at last!

Hopefully conditions will be conducive to some quick wickets...the bad news for us is our lack of a good position in the game so far, the good news is the chasing pack so far, a lot of them are struggling!

Middlexex and Durham both 140 odd ao so no batting bonus points there! Glamorgan 84/5, it's not over yet...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

I worry about pitch inspections. Are we still on a warning or has that elapsed? 

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/847502/somerset-will-not-be-charged-with-breach-of-ecb-pitch-regulations

Dunno what to make of that- I notice it happened in successive seasons? Fraser was ranting the season before IIRC.

Still that was some suitable karma for Middlesex given how you were robbed of Championship by a highly creative declaration.

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well still way to go on this round.  We've also got a round of games next week where Essex are at home and have been dominant all season.   If we've somehow going into that game with a lead of more than 10 points then yeah you create a road for maximum batting points + draw BUT its still a dangerous game to play.  We'll have Leach and COve back by then..

I'd somehow completely missed the game next week and was just sat there wondering how you can have a season where everyone's only played 13 games ?‍♂️

Agreed, it is a dangerous game but I wonder if it is something they would consider. Given that we haven't scored that many runs this season it would be a huge risk! 

• Admin
45 minutes ago, TomF said:

Next week is going to be the key I sense.  Essex strong at home but also Hampshire ain't bad on there own shit bowl of a pitch.  4 days of rain perhaps..

Sadly the weather is going to be decent at least the next two weeks - nice and sunny

The question is at what point do I book leave from work for W/C 23rd ?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sadly the weather is going to be decent at least the next two weeks - nice and sunny

The question is at what point do I book leave from work for W/C 23rd ?

Will the Essex game be on sky? Sure they usually show the last game.

Sounds bizarre

13:47

Lamb recalled after run-out

War 382-6 (Lamb 125*)

Matt Lamb has had another reprieve in his innings at Edgbaston. He was dropped at slip by Alastair Cook but had already made his way back to the pavilion and was subsequently run-out.

The spirit of cricket prevailed, however, Essex withdrew their appeal and Lamb was called back by umpires Nick Cook and David Millns. One for the "What happened next?" category.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Sorry, won't it be on the usual stream? (Have been watching the Yorkshire game live this morning and I think that all games have been shown so far. No idea what the deal is though).

No idea mate, Pretty sure SKY show a game on the final round of matches so would sure to be the Essex game if the title is still up for grabs.

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Super said:

Will the Essex game be on sky? Sure they usually show the last game.

10 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Sorry, won't it be on the usual stream? (Have been watching the Yorkshire game live this morning and I think that all games have been shown so far. No idea what the deal is though).

For the past few seasons Sky have shown a four day game live from the last round of matches

I can't believe they won't be showing it - whatever happens between now and then you'd think the title could go to either side now  

Well, I've been occasionally looking in on Somerset live games through the match centre on their web site. Think live games have been available for some time though and don't know why the Essex game would be any different. I know nowt though, as we say in Yorkshire. 

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/match-centre/

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I think Sky usually televise one of the last round of games each year.  They'll surely have to go for the ir love in with Surrey Som/Essex match

So, does that mean that Somerset can stream their games free all year (as they are now for the Yorkshire game) and then have to stop if Sky choose to take the fixture? Makes no sense to me at all but then again I don't know anything about the deal that allows Somerset to stream free.

4 hours ago, TomF said:

Great signing Vijay 

We've got to stop wasting money on overseas players that don't improve what we've already got. How Eddie Byrom feels about not playing in this game after drafting in Vijay I don't know.

Besides that great day so far 

Edited by ralphindevon

Looking at the top flight, is this the week it changes decisively for the better for you?

Putting on 114 for the last 4 wickets is a big morale boost- a strong one and it possibly showed in getting Yorkshire out so quickly. Worries about the pitch and inspections etc should be assuaged given you are scoring well and still have 5 wickets left.

Essex have a finals day too- could work both ways but another day of cricket at this stage of season while you'll be resting up- advantage?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Shannon Gabriel, 12 overs 0-73 on debut. How much money spunked on this West Indian guy?

Now 0-94 off 16, no maidens.  Payne and Higgins have bowled a combined 15 maidens from 40 overs, plus Payne has taken 3 wickets!  However, as we all know, OTIB is not a place where players are written off after one poor start?.

Edited by New Dazzler

• Admin
29 minutes ago, TomF said:

500 up for Warks.   Essex essentially going to have to bat for well over a day and a half to get anywhere near that never mind win it. 

Hopefully they won't score quickly enough to get close to forcing a result 

Hopefully none of these end of season shenanigans to force a result