IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Hate to say can't see that happening

Also have a horrible feeling Essex may be back top by the time we meet

What a game to finish the season though !

Annual Leave request has just gone in:sub:

A pal and I are planning on coming down for the Essex fixture - weather permitting of course................:cool2:

41 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hate to say can't see that happening

Also have a horrible feeling Essex may be back top by the time we meet

What a game to finish the season though !

Annual Leave request has just gone in:sub:

If I'm going to book one days holiday should I aim for day 3 or day 4?

Looking pretty mixed for us.

We are noe 176/6 which is 6 ahead- not good.

Middlesex v Durham- would rather Middlesex had won it as they're that bit further back but Durham won. Middlesex now realistically out of it.

In good news, Worcestershire beat Glamorgan- we're still 2nd but Northants could well overtake us- it's ridiculously tight though, even so late into the season!!

1 Lancs   11 6 0 5 0 28 32 181
2 Gloucs   11 4 2 5 0 33 30 152
3 Durham   12 5 4 3 0 19 33 147
4 Northants   11 3 2 6 0 30 30 138
5 Glamorgan   12 3 3 6 0 30 29 136
6 Sussex   11 3 4 4 0 25 29 122
7 Middlesex   12 3 4 5 0 19 28 120
8 Worcestershire   12 3 6 3 0 19 32 114
9 Derbyshire   11 3 5 3 0 19 30 112
10 Leicestershire   11 1 4 6 0 19 24 89
Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Looking like it's going to be a 7 point lead, Essex likely to get a 3rd batting point but no more as there's only 9 overs left.

I'd have taken that before this round of matches. Maintain that lead into the Essex game, make the wicket a road, pray for rain and open the champagne 

Edited by ralphindevon

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Any chance of Essex win probably went with those late wickets and losing time to bad light.  Optimistic to think Warks can take 14 wickets tomorrow but if they strike early who knows 

Spot on. Mind you, I suppose there could be a couple of declarations to set up a last day run chase. Unikely, but certainly not impossible. (Warks are just about mathematically safe so guess there's no real motivation for them).

• Admin
13 hours ago, Calculus said:

Spot on. Mind you, I suppose there could be a couple of declarations to set up a last day run chase. Unikely, but certainly not impossible. (Warks are just about mathematically safe so guess there's no real motivation for them).

Warwickshire won't be setting up any result, they stay up if they draw this game.

They will no doubt enforce the follow on should they get Essex out in time, otherwise this will disappear into a non event

Interesting comments from Surrey coach Michael Di Venuto:

"That was embarrassing. I've watched a lot of cricket and played a lot of cricket and the last two days what we've dished up there is some of the worst cricket I've ever seen."

"We've got a lot of people that just aren't in good form. There's one stand-out in Ollie Pope who again showed his form, but not many positives."

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Essex 8 down

A couple of quick wickets now and a Warwickshire victory isn't completely out of the question. Given they've played a fair amount of overs now, how many points will they end up on if they draw or lose and what will this mean for the gap at the top? 

13 minutes ago, Coppello said:

A couple of quick wickets now and a Warwickshire victory isn't completely out of the question. Given they've played a fair amount of overs now, how many points will they end up on if they draw or lose and what will this mean for the gap at the top? 

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Blimey Essex done a Somerset there - 299 after 110 overs. 8 point gap potentially if it's a draw then. 

Essex still need 60odd runs to avoid the follow-on, with just the two wickets remaining.

If they hold on for a draw, they will be 8 points behind.

Here's hoping Jeetan Patel canproduce some magic to get the win for Warwickshire.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Guessing they maybe more worried about avoiding the follow on than extra point.  If Essex did lose this, Somerset would need 11 points from two games for the title ?

How do you work that out?

If Essex lose today, they would be 13 points behind - 11 points for Somerset would only put them 24 points, or one win, ahead.

Two wins for Essex, including against Somerset, would surely put them ahead.

I don't want to build up hopes, but I am currently watching the Warwickshire live stream - switching between the Test.

I can assure you that, should Essex fail to avoid the follow-on - they are currently 47 runs away with one wicket left as Westley has just been bowled - they will struggle in their second innings as Jeetan is really getting some serious turn. 

• Like 1

Browne gone 0-1

:clapping:

Drama again at Edgbaston, Nick Browne has gone in the first over, caught at third slip. The batsman thinks it has bounced and the umpires have consulted but the wicket is confirmed. Are Essex going to subside? Still 193 behind

Edited by BobBobSuperBob