IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

I’ve just come in for a break from the beach here in Greece. Little coverage on BBC Sport website, which basically seems to believe now that only Test cricket exists.

However, they do have a “pick your Championship team of the season” feature which sets out the averages as an aide. I see Somerset have no batsmen in the top 20 of the averages - but 6 of the top 20 bowlers! Seems to tell a tale.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’ve just come in for a break from the beach here in Greece. Little coverage on BBC Sport website, which basically seems to believe now that only Test cricket exists.

However, they do have a “pick your Championship team of the season” feature which sets out the averages as an aide. I see Somerset have no batsmen in the top 20 of the averages - but 6 of the top 20 bowlers! Seems to tell a tale.

Try this - there is also live commentary.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/49569746

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Or, you could also try this:

https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/match-centre/

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

20 extras in 15 overs, WTF are they teaching down at Glos, 3rd game in a row I've seen them concede a ridiculous amount.

31 in 36 now!

I think it's when you are striving, really striving for wickets it makes this more likely.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Worc 71 for 5  :clap:

Now 150/5...think Worcestershire's tail can be quite weak though so get one and a few quick ones might follow! ?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Everything I had heard and read about this pitch prior to this morning was that it was a typical one on which, upon winning the toss, the decision would have been, indisputably, to bat first and score high - hence, presumably, the reason Tom Abell chose to contest the toss, rather than choosing to bowl in overcast conditions.

Unfortunately, as it would have seemed at 10H00 this morning, TB lost the toss and Hampshire chose to bat.

We have benefited from the weather, both in Southampton and in Chelmsford, and I just hope we don't throw away this absolutely wonderful first day of our penultimate Championship match - 9 down as I type, although Surrey are also 2 down.

Worcestershire 196/8- reasonably happy with that...

Make that 9!

Scoring pretty quickly so it's hard to tell if they have thrown away wickets or if it's one of those odd pitches that's good for batting and bowling- from 71/5 it's perhaps a bit much. From 153/5 though, yeah gotta be fairly happy? If it's one of those then if we bat fairly steadily maybe we can make a reasonable score.

One did bring a fairly quick few.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

In the stars ?? ?

Last week, Ryan ten Doeschate, the Essex captain won the toss and (erroneously, as it transpired) put Warwickshire in to bat.

This morning, Tom Abell forfeited the right to bowl first in overcast conditions, and opted for a toss, preferring to bat first on a fantastic pitch. 

Unfortunately, Tom lost the toss, and here we are: Hold Tight!