IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Genuinely thought you had a shot there- 86/0 and scoring at a fair clip, over 4 an over, even 91/1 not so terrible...

Barring weather you will be 12 points behind Essex. Presumably if you win next week you will obtain bowling bonus points in the process, dunno your margin for error.

As for us, looks like Sussex will be losing and so too will Durham...but I can't see Leicestershire chasing 424 at Glamorgan or batting 113 overs to save the game.

Forgot to add- best of luck v Essex next week- hope to make it a West Country Double- newly promoted Gloucs v the team who became champions for the first time Somerset would have a great ring!

At Headingley, Stevens is on ?!

Made that double century from 39/5 and in the 4th Innings he has 3/6!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'm trying to work out the parameters

Essex will be 12 point ahead. Therefore if they got a full 8 bonus point but lost They'd have 20 which means we'd have had to get a minimum of 5 bonus points to get to 21. A tie would put them ahead on virtue of losing less I'd imagine. 

Lose or Draw its Essex

Win with 21 points its Somersets regardless

Win with 20 or less and its a lottery depending on bonus points.

I don't think a team who've lost 3 games probably deserve to win it - we've made some bad calls along the way - winning toss at Headingley and bowling,  losing the toss at Essex & Hants cost us dearly but too many other games we've missed out on bonus points (at least 3 where we needed 1 more run for bonus batting point). 

Essex's demolition of Kent 40ao was the other factor.  Had we finished off Hants second time around at 103/8 and had to chase something like 160 then we might have just done it. 

I don't know if we can create a turner next week without causing ourselves more issues - Harmer will be just as effective as Leach/Bess if we do.  I guess we still know its in our hands to a degree and we've been here before needing to win to stay up but I just fear its 2nd place for the 4th time in 9 years. 

Good news on the tiebreaking front.

According to Cricinfo it's most wins- which if level on points simplifies as you will have won 10 and Essex 9. Unless it's changed to fewest losses taking precedence as this was written a few years ago. Always assumed it was most wins followed by least losses anyway.

This tweet also seems to suggest.

You need to tbh, need to create a result wicket one way or the other- drawing will be no good- just have to go all in for it.

Sussex LOSE!

Basically gone in terms of promotion, can't catch us basically and Northants once they complete.

Durham 8 down- looking all over for them too given they are chasing around 400. That rules them out.

Only slight annoyance then, Glamorgan are away to Durham on last day- and that will now be a dead rubber for Durham, hope they don't send out the kids etc. Glamorgan- barring rain- will surely beat Leicestershire. Most likely will be 16 behind us so still the outsiders.

Glos should do it from here tbh.

Would be a cracking achievement, most people wouldn't have had them amongst the promotion contenders at the start of the season, I know I didn't. I thought Lancs would do well, although not as dominant as we have been, and I fancied Middlesex, Worcs and Sussex to be up there too. Didn't see Glos, Northants, Durham or Glamorgan challenging at all.

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I'm trying to work out the parameters

Essex will be 12 point ahead. Therefore if they got a full 8 bonus point but lost They'd have 20 which means we'd have had to get a minimum of 5 bonus points to get to 21. A tie would put them ahead on virtue of losing less I'd imagine. 

Lose or Draw its Essex

Win with 21 points its Somersets regardless

Win with 20 or less and its a lottery depending on bonus points.

I don't think a team who've lost 3 games probably deserve to win it - we've made some bad calls along the way - winning toss at Headingley and bowling,  losing the toss at Essex & Hants cost us dearly but too many other games we've missed out on bonus points (at least 3 where we needed 1 more run for bonus batting point). 

Essex's demolition of Kent 40ao was the other factor.  Had we finished off Hants second time around at 103/8 and had to chase something like 160 then we might have just done it. 

I don't know if we can create a turner next week without causing ourselves more issues - Harmer will be just as effective as Leach/Bess if we do.  I guess we still know its in our hands to a degree and we've been here before needing to win to stay up but I just fear its 2nd place for the 4th time in 9 years. 

Really disappointed, had them on the rack twice and couldn't finish them off, I know thsts unreal figures from Abbott but the batting is poor.

I think we've blown it, the weather forcast looks pretty poor for next week I think it will just end in damp squib draw....

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Disappointed for Somerset. 

Anyone able to work out what Gloucester need to get promoted?

If Glamorgan don’t win tomorrow and assuming Northants do then that’s it I think?

Otherwise it looks like we’ll be 16 points ahead of Glamorgan. They would need to beat Durham away and realistically Glos would have to lose v Northants. A draw and 4 bonus points for Glos would be enough.

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just trying to get things straight in my head. Am I right in thinking that if we beat Essex then we win the title unless they get five more bonus points than us? Any less than that and they can`t catch us as if it`s four then the points will be the same but we win on number of victories?

I think so! I cant see that we would beat essex with them getting 5 more bonus points. Its basically win and its ours.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Super said:

I think so! I cant see that we would beat essex with them getting 5 more bonus points. Its basically win and its ours.

Correct, hugely unlikely bonus points will cone into it. It would mean something like us scoring under 200 them scoring over 400 and us winning. Best in mind there will be no declarations from Essex.

On the other hand, anything's possible with Somerset 

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Glamorgan don’t win tomorrow and assuming Northants do then that’s it I think?

Otherwise it looks like we’ll be 16 points ahead of Glamorgan. They would need to beat Durham away and realistically Glos would have to lose v Northants. A draw and 4 bonus points for Glos would be enough.

It's got rain most of next week anyhoo (according to the forecast, that is ) :fingerscrossed:

• Thanks 2

As expected, Durham lose.

95ef6929-6cfd-4c56-bb46-11bd3cf1f2cd.jpg

I believe Glamorgan will win though and it could be a nervy final game. They'll be 16 behind us, away to suddenly out of the running Durham. Still it's in our own hands- I'd much rather be in our position than Glamorgan's!

Do we produce a road or a result track next week? We deserve promotion with some of our form, our positive brand of cricket in recent months IMO.

Agnew and Bayliss have both laid out their blueprints for us at international level, and both have called for a reduction to the number of counties.

Unsure of the detail of Bayliss's proposals but Agnew's blueprint was basically one division, 12 teams. ?

Edit- Bayliss reckons 10 the magic number.

Where the latter might have some validity to his point though is that pitches could be improved. Undoubtedly English conditions are pretty unique, this is both a strength and a weakness.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agnew and Bayliss have both laid out their blueprints for us at international level, and both have called for a reduction to the number of counties.

Unsure of the detail of Bayliss's proposals but Agnew's blueprint was basically one division, 12 teams. ?

Edit- Bayliss reckons 10 the magic number.

Where the latter might have some validity to his point though is that pitches could be improved. Undoubtedly English conditions are pretty unique, this is both a strength and a weakness.

There's no problem with 18 counties its simply the formatting that is the problem, creating a 4th domestic competition means some players are simply playing too much cricket and having to flip flap between different formats rather than being able to focus on one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hodge said:

There's no problem with 18 counties its simply the formatting that is the problem, creating a 4th domestic competition means some players are simply playing too much cricket and having to flip flap between different formats rather than being able to focus on one.

I agree. No need to change the system, but yeah one too many tournaments at this time.

Think the pitches could do with some improvement at times however- you can get fairly hard ones for bowlers abroad but they seem to be getting more bowler friendly again in a number of places. Still overplaying has been a bit of an issue, I remember in 2007 season I think it was, when Gloucestershire played 2 4 day games back to back- one at Gloucester then overnight up to Derby- think in that period it was 10 days of cricket out of 12 or something, which didn't even account for all the travel.

Regardless of that anomaly, 4 tournaments is one too many I feel.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I agree. No need to change the system, but yeah one too many tournaments at this time.

Think the pitches could do with some improvement at times however- you can get fairly hard ones for bowlers abroad but they seem to be getting more bowler friendly again in a number of places. Still overplaying has been a bit of an issue, I remember in 2007 season I think it was, when Gloucestershire played 2 4 day games back to back- one at Gloucester then overnight up to Derby- think in that period it was 10 days of cricket out of 12 or something, which didn't even account for all the travel.

Regardless of that anomaly, 4 tournaments is one too many I feel.

I've long felt that we should have three 6 team divisions for 4 day and 1 day cricket (2 up, 2 down) with T20 either having a 2 group or 3 group system for 14 or 12 group games, however I would want to see the system brought in where 3 teams play each other over the course of the day (A v B, A v C, C v B) as fans get to see more cricket and it means less days in the county schedule, we do that sort of day for finals day so no reason why we couldn't do it domestically, just make sure the teams are local ie Somerset, Gloucestershire, Glamorgan, Worcestershire, Hampshire and maybe Warwickshire, pick 3 out of that.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Glamorgan win.

Down to the wire it is then- albeit favourites from here.

Part of me wants a nice comfy, convenient outcome- part of me wants to roll the dice and push for 2nd as some of our cricket in recent times has been really positive!

This game could've sealed the deal but all teams/fans I guess have games we look back on.

https://www.wisden.com/matches/scorecard/199715/glamorgan-v-gloucestershire-at-newport-specsavers-county-championship-14-17-may-2019

We bat again here and we probably win. Probably.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Glamorgan win.

Down to the wire it is then- albeit favourites from here.

Part of me wants a nice comfy, convenient outcome- part of me wants to roll the dice and push for 2nd as some of our cricket in recent times has been really positive!

This game could've sealed the deal but all teams/fans I guess have games we look back on.

https://www.wisden.com/matches/scorecard/199715/glamorgan-v-gloucestershire-at-newport-specsavers-county-championship-14-17-may-2019

We bat again here and we probably win. Probably.

Could be Cov '77 all over again !  :P

• Robin 1

6 hours ago, hodge said:

I've long felt that we should have three 6 team divisions for 4 day and 1 day cricket (2 up, 2 down) with T20 either having a 2 group or 3 group system for 14 or 12 group games, however I would want to see the system brought in where 3 teams play each other over the course of the day (A v B, A v C, C v B) as fans get to see more cricket and it means less days in the county schedule, we do that sort of day for finals day so no reason why we couldn't do it domestically, just make sure the teams are local ie Somerset, Gloucestershire, Glamorgan, Worcestershire, Hampshire and maybe Warwickshire, pick 3 out of that.

I`ve been suggesting this for years, it would solve so many problems.