IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Somerset have blown it - the weather is barely going to allow for 2 days play if that. 

Chucking it down here on the moor this morning but blowing through pretty quickly. The Met Office don`t have it as too bad over the next four days though.

I still think we`ve blown our chance though - please let us win it at least once in my lifetime!

5 down!!

My concern here now is that the weather denies us but is reasonable at Durham- ie we only draw and Glamorgan win with sufficent bonus points- the most Gloucs way to lose promotion?

For Somerset- a result track may well help, but weather again? Or what would be sods law is if they win- but the pitch deemed inadequate and points off, Essex win- but then again given how the title was won by Middlesex a few years ago through a contrivance, the ECB can't be doing that!! Can't have a title decided through a contrived declaration with a 3rd party missing out and then dock that same third team points potentially for a pitch. CAS job.

That would be the singular most Gloucs and Somerset ways to miss out respectively.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

5 down!!

My concern here now is that the weather denies us but is reasonable at Durham- ie we only draw and Glamorgan win with sufficent bonus points- the most Gloucs way to lose promotion?

For Somerset- a result track may well help, but weather again? Or what would be sods law is if they win- but the pitch deemed inadequate and points off, Essex win- but then again given how the title was won by Middlesex a few years ago through a contrivance, the ECB can't be doing that!! Can't have a title decided through a contrived declaration with a 3rd party missing out and then dock that same third team points potentially for a pitch. CAS job.

That would be the singular most Gloucs and Somerset ways to miss out respectively.

Could lose promotion on the toss of a coin (well 2 as Glam won theirs and inserted Durham ) As you say typical way for Glos to miss out !

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Could lose promotion on the toss of a coin (well 2 as Glam won theirs and inserted Durham ) As you say typical way for Glos to miss out !

Would be extremely undeserved too, given our surge- our positive cricket in recent months.

I just had a horrible feeling that the season went on a week too long- actually surprised at how nice September has been, but it wouldn't have lasted indefinitely in the month.

Durham finish on 197/6.

A lot of rain forecast on Days 2 and 4...:fingerscrossed:

Clearly rain is not satisfactory but is part of the game- I'd sooner we beat Northants and get 2nd so we can hold our own against any promotion chasing side, as the bulk of seasons, 2 have gone up, but if rain here and Durham seals it I'm not complaining!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I can sadly see a draw down here with less than 4 bonus points. Meanwhile Durham and Glamorgan will contrive a result in the final day sunshine to oust us from the final spot

No way. If it’s going to rain anywhere, it’s going to rain in Durham. 

Get dancing!

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Durham finish on 197/6.

A lot of rain forecast on Days 2 and 4...:fingerscrossed:

Clearly rain is not satisfactory but is part of the game- I'd sooner we beat Northants and get 2nd so we can hold our own against any promotion chasing side, as the bulk of seasons, 2 have gone up, but if rain here and Durham seals it I'm not complaining!

I think Durham have done enough on day one to ensure it’ll be a draw when rain is taken into account. 

we could do with some bowling points!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I can sadly see a draw down here with less than 4 bonus points. Meanwhile Durham and Glamorgan will contrive a result in the final day sunshine to oust us from the final spot

My only question on a contrived result.

Glamorgan will be desperate and therefore would accept anything to chase, knowing only a win would do?

Don't see why Durham would offer them anything better than an extremely tough and unlikely 4th Innings challenge- a draw no good, only a win would do for Glamorgan so they'd accept anything surely. In 2005 I vaguely remember it causing some controversy or ill feeling but Kent accepted 420 in 70 overs in the 4th Innings (assuming it was still 96 in a day?) in a rain affected game vs Notts. Suffice to say they were not successful! Indeed cricinfo search confirms it was a key game in the title race.

In other words, if Durham offered Glamorgan I don't know, 400 in 2 sessions- well take it or leave it, what choice do they have other than to try? They can try but we all know they ain't getting that!

• Thanks 1