IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Right... correct me if I’m wrong;

Glamorgan (8 wickets taken) are currently 2 points up on Glos (no batting points).

Gloucester had a 16 point advantage.

(Which has been cut to 14 points at the moment.)

if Gloucester draw they get five points. You’d be hard pressed not to see Gloucester draw with tomorrow’s forecast and only 4 sessions to play.

that means in order to overtake Gloucester, Glamorgan need to score 22 points in total (provided that Gloucester score no bonus points). 

this requires them to score 350+ if Durham declare immediately or 300+ if they bowl Durham out. 

I wonder what the Glos dressing room are thinking if play starts again?

declare and aim for bowling bonus points? Or secure the draw first?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Right... correct me if I’m wrong;

Glamorgan (8 wickets taken) are currently 2 points up on Glos (no batting points).

Gloucester had a 16 point advantage.

(Which has been cut to 14 points at the moment.)

if Gloucester draw they get five points. You’d be hard pressed not to see Gloucester draw with tomorrow’s forecast and only 4 sessions to play.

that means in order to overtake Gloucester, Glamorgan need to score 22 points in total (provided that Gloucester score no bonus points). 

this requires them to score 350+ if Durham declare immediately or 300+ if they bowl Durham out. 

I wonder what the Glos dressing room are thinking if play starts again?

declare and aim for bowling bonus points? Or secure the draw first?

You can't until you bat 110 overs

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sorry. 

Can't declare 

Only way is when both sides forfeit an innings 

Am I right in thinking that Glamorgan couldn’t afford to forfeit an innings because they wouldn’t be able to get any bonus points for batting?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Play to begin at 3pm at Bristol.

Inspection at Durham at 2.30pm.

Shouldn’t have to feel so nervous. 
cant help it though. 

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Am I right in thinking that Glamorgan couldn’t afford to forfeit an innings because they wouldn’t be able to get any bonus points for batting?

Shouldn’t have to feel so nervous. 
cant help it though. 

Indeed, know what you mean!

I look back at a game v Glamorgan earlier in the season- had we gone a different way it could be academic now and us pushing for/on course for 2nd and not the last place.

Note the scorecard- enforcing the follow on was, granted with hindsight, a mistake and we ended up scrambling a bit for a draw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8204/scorecard/1166977/glamorgan-vs-gloucestershire-specsavers-county-championship-division-two-2019

We bat again, probably takes more time out of the game- problematic psychologically and I suspect we win- not least as they had a wicket keeper/batsman ruled out for the rest of the game. Smallish ground though, good wicket- you can always come back from a follow on with that.

48 overs at Bristol- or that's the aim anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed, know what you mean!

I look back at a game v Glamorgan earlier in the season- had we gone a different way it could be academic now and us pushing for/on course for 2nd and not the last place.

Note the scorecard- enforcing the follow on was, granted with hindsight, a mistake and we ended up scrambling a bit for a draw.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8204/scorecard/1166977/glamorgan-vs-gloucestershire-specsavers-county-championship-division-two-2019

We bat again, probably takes more time out of the game- problematic psychologically and I suspect we win- not least as they had a wicket keeper/batsman ruled out for the rest of the game. Smallish ground though, good wicket- you can always come back from a follow on with that.

48 overs at Bristol- or that's the aim anyway.

Losing Howell was a big miss too. We’ve done well whatever... we must just see this one out!

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Losing Howell was a big miss too. We’ve done well whatever... we must just see this one out!

Not followed the 20/20 so much this year but yep big blow- we've done very well.

I don't really fear it but I wonder if- or fear it to be possible- if both Durham and Glamorgan could indulge in joke bowling and then Glamorgan chase in the 4th Innings vs real bowling- it's a remote prospect anyway. Or does the post by @phantom on declarations etc rule out this possibility?

Edit: Play ABANDONED for the day at Durham.

Were I Durham, I'd fancy chances of a win here- weather and tactical bowling notwithstanding.

I would offer the following- some joke bowling to get Durham up to 400 within the 110 overs- then offer for each side to forfeit an innings and Glamorgan chase 400 in 2 sessions, or 60-70 overs. Glamorgan don't agree, then draw it is and no promotion.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Were I Durham, I'd fancy chances of a win here- weather and tactical bowling notwithstanding.

I would offer the following- some joke bowling to get Durham up to 400 within the 110 overs- then offer for each side to forfeit an innings and Glamorgan chase 400 in 2 sessions, or 60-70 overs. Glamorgan don't agree, then draw it is and no promotion.

Durham..........take a boring draw, you know it makes sense !

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m happy to say that Gloucester are now guaranteed a draw. 

Glamorgan must win and pick up 7 bonus points. They already have 2. 

Edit: I’m not sure what happens if we end tied for points

First tiebreaker I believe is most wins- well that'd be 5 each in this scenario.

Fewest losses? Well that'd also be level!

Err- whoever took most points from our 2 League meetings maybe? Our loss to them at Bristol in August would thus prove decisive.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

First tiebreaker I believe is most wins- well that'd be 5 each in this scenario.

Err- whoever took most points from our 2 League meetings maybe? Our loss to them at Bristol in August would thus prove decisive.

Do they take sendings off into account....?

Oh no, that's the other lot!

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Boundaries :ph34r:

• Hmmm 1

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Closing in on first BP.............have they got the joke bowlers on?

Now reached! :clap:

Never say never with Gloucs...but Glamorgan need to get those final 2 wickets, score 300 in 1st Innings AND win tomorrow as it stands, I think. Or if something set up ie Durham declare, they would still need to hit 350 in the 1st Innings...assuming bonus points cannot count in 2nd Innings/be carried over if there are forfeitures?

@Fordy62 150 partnership now- brilliant stuff! :clap:

Dammit- 7 down, but 151 for that wicket- fantastic.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Now reached! :clap:

Never say never with Gloucs...but Glamorgan need to get those final 2 wickets, score 300 in 1st Innings AND win tomorrow as it stands, I think. Or if something set up ie Durham declare, they would still need to hit 350 in the 1st Innings...assuming bonus points cannot count in 2nd Innings/be carried over if there are forfeitures?

@Fordy62 150 partnership now- brilliant stuff! :clap:

Dammit- 7 down, but 151 for that wicket- fantastic.

I might have a celebratory beer tonight.