IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Umpires have to be strict on Essex time wasting, play was supposed to start at 20 past apparently so they've already wasted nearly 3 minutes

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Anyone know why play HAS to finish at 17:30? Been plenty of times this summer when it's gone on far later than that. I know the light will fade much earlier than in June but still seems odd.

Spinners on shouldn't be a problem either

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Well that was a hard watch. It doesn't get any easier however many times we've come 2nd.....and it's a lot.

Watching the legend leave the field for the final time didn't help, deffo something in my eye. 

Agree mate. What a top bloke and what a great career he had. Did i hear right he averaged more in test cricket than first class cricket?

• Admin
27 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Well that was a hard watch. It doesn't get any easier however many times we've come 2nd.....and it's a lot.

Watching the legend leave the field for the final time didn't help, deffo something in my eye. 

Was a really emotional moment at the ground, you could sense everyone was feeling as you described above 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I think it’s 5 seconds in 10 seasons......just can’t seem to get over the line and this time around on a raging turner the British weather plays  a massive part........what a bummer!

Some lovely words from all the pundits and Essex’s captain and of course Tom Abell for Tres.......sorry to see him retire but age waits for no man. 

Edited by Robbored

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think it’s 4 seconds in 10 seasons......just can’t seem to get over the line and this time around on a raging turner the British weather plays  a massive part........what a bummer!

Some lovely words from all the pundits and Essex’s captain and of course Tom Abell for Tres.......sorry to see him retire but age waits for no man. 

True, and TBF when he came on to field he looked like he'd already started enjoying retirement. That shirt was a tight fit to say the least 

Read a cracking interview that Atherton did with him in the Times this morning, talks about his career, how he helped bring the subject of mental health into focus and the point earlier this season when he knew his time was up.

Atherton starts the article by mentioning that he played in Trescothick's first class debut, opened the batting with him on his England debut (Atherton's 100th Test) and that, earlier this summer, he was sent a photo of his 17 year old son with Trescothick, having played against him for Middlesex in a 2nd XI game.

Ah unlucky Somerset, just realised you gave it a good go. When will cricket bring itself into the 21st century though? Taking lunch when play has only just restarted, the blatantly unfair system where teams play some twice and others once, finishing up early when there are many many overs left. Get the floodlights on and get on with it

• Admin
2 hours ago, TomF said:

and the end of season depatures begin:

Timmy G going, sad but probably the right time. 

Got a feeling going to see Dom and Eddy B head off too.  We really are going to have to recruit well batting wise this winter.

I thought this was announced a while ago, with Steve Davies leaving too??

I must been having a bad bout of de ja vu !