IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

37 minutes ago, Dogbert said:

Right, so 66 overs left in the day with quite possibly no play after today.

Should Somerset go with a big gamble and just swing the bat for say 14 overs, declare and then try to bowl out Gloucestershire again in the remaining 50 overs today?

Got to look at Derbyshire and Yorkshire as well, currently both look like a draw is their most likely result. Only thing in that scenario I don't fancy us for max bonus points against Worcestershire to give us an edge for overall points.

I'm not sure I've seen such a dominant Somerset team in my 40 odd years of watching them.

Even when the top order have failed you just know the tail will wag and with this seem attack 150 is usually enough anyway.

I genuinely believe we would have overcome our 12 point deduction and won the championship this year

50 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep and to compound things even more- the weather back in April/May when the large chunk of the CC is played was bloody glorious. Very few frustrations from the rain would have been apparent.  Heck we haven’t even got Jack or Dom playing either 

I know, the whole episode is so Somerset, can there be a sporting team with less luck than we have? If you wrote a book about just this century so far it would seem far fetched.

34 minutes ago, TomF said:

Pretty heavy shower over Taunton first thing but looks sunny now and possibly dry for most of day.

That said according to AGod on Grockles we've already conceded the draw and may as well go home. 

To be fair, AGod is not the only one criticising the late declaration.

Personally, I am torn between the idea of encouraging young Tom L to get his maiden first class century and the risk of jeopardising yet again another nailed on 16 points win.

36 minutes ago, TomF said:

I know but he over analyses things to the 10000th degree.  Even like first hour of the first day he's oh well we've already lost this one.  Man is a misery. 

A propos overanalysing, your friend AGod has thoughtfully provided a breakdown of the expected points table following close of play tomorrow - based on the weather forecast for the rest of today and tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A propos overanalysing, your friend AGod has thoughtfully provided a breakdown of the expected points table following close of play tomorrow - based on the weather forecast for the rest of today and tomorrow. 

How many points are Somerset deducted?

• Haha 1

F'ing shambles, so England are allowed Bess and Root to bowl to stay on but umpires send the players off, why can't we have vdM and Abell bowling? Again the rule 'play shall not be stopped merely because play is not ideal'. The Gloucestershire players were off the pitch before the light reading was even taken.

The change Craig has made as well is quite incredible in terms of performance. If Jimmy gets 600 today and decides its enough then Craig should be the replacement in the overall squad and fight it out with Archer/Woakes/Broad/Stokes/Wood/Robinson for a place