IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Best we can hope for is a draw, where's the ****** rain when you need it ?:dunno:

At the moment a draw seems likely because we have restricted them to less than 3 an over, let's hope they don't accelerate tomorrow.

More "unforeseen" ramifications of Brexit by the way, Van Buuren suddenly becomes an overseas player after 5 years!

https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/news/statement-on-graeme-van-buuren/

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Sad 1

I am out and about today, so unable to watch the live stream.

Just catching up with the score on Cricinfo and the Somerset site, however, I note that we have scored two fives, presumably overthrows, and that Tom Abell was saved from a tight runout as the umpire was looking in the other direction!

Is anybody watching and able to advise?

A quick check on the Grockles site reveals a post from @TomF’s favourite, who confirms he has checked the scorecard and that Tom Abell’s possible runout was definitely Not Out!

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just catching up with the score on Cricinfo and the Somerset site, however, I note that we have scored two fives, presumably overthrows, and that Tom Abell was saved from a tight runout as the umpire was looking in the other direction!

A quick check on the Grockles site reveals a post from @TomF’s favourite, who confirms he has checked the scorecard and that Tom Abell’s possible runout was definitely Not Out!

Abell didn't quite make it but yes the scorecard confirms he was not out.

The umpire was looking more or less the right way.

• Thanks 1

I bought myself a Middlesex membership this season. I'm a Somerset fan, but it only cost £70 to get access to all home Middlesex matches and I wanted to watch some live cricket. I have subsequently discovered that because I must sit in the members' areas, I have to wear a shirt with collar to every match. There is no option to buy what is, effectively, a season ticket at Lords in the year 2021 without having to wear a collared shirt to every match.

In my opinion, absolutely bonkers. I know we all love cricket for the tradition, but enforcing dress codes on fans just seems mental to me in this day and age. 

54 minutes ago, Dogbert said:

Abell didn't quite make it but yes the scorecard confirms he was not out.

The umpire was looking more or less the right way.

Thanks for that

Tom can consider himself very fortunate.

As was mentioned on the official site, that could well be a game changing moment for, at the risk of repeating @Lrrr’s error of speaking too soon and jinxing him, Tom Abell looks very well set and a well-deserved Century surely beckons.

8 minutes ago, TomF said:

abell.PNG

I know, hence my earlier apology - to the other Tom.

Hmmm.

As they often say: get one, get two.

I hope they don’t throw it away now - 30 minutes ago I was really expecting full batting points before the pitch started to turn a bit more for Jack.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for that

Tom can consider himself very fortunate.

As was mentioned on the official site, that could well be a game changing moment for, at the risk of repeating @Lrrr’s error of speaking too soon and jinxing him, Tom Abell looks very well set and a well-deserved Century surely beckons.

Justin Timberlake What GIF

8 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

At the moment a draw seems likely because we have restricted them to less than 3 an over, let's hope they don't accelerate tomorrow.

More "unforeseen" ramifications of Brexit by the way, Van Buuren suddenly becomes an overseas player after 5 years!

https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/news/statement-on-graeme-van-buuren/

We bowled pretty poorly yesterday, except for Worrall and Higgins. Shaw in particular has bowled like a drain. The sooner Payne's missus gives birth, the better. Not for the first time we miss a quality spinner on slow, flat decks like this. 

I agree a draw seems likely. We even slowed our over rate right down after lunch. Just need our batsmen to fill their boots. Against Mohammed Abbas, however, that's no certainty. 

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I didn’t see the 5’s but I do remember Grace rd is one of the larger outfields in county cricket so could have been all ran to a long boundary 

A shame Brathwaite couldn't stick around until stumps, but otherwise not a bad day for Glos. A draw is still favourite as neither side seems to be able to get runs at any decent rate. I am sure Geoff Boycott would have loved that second wicket stand of Hampshire's. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I didn’t see the 5’s but I do remember Grace rd is one of the larger outfields in county cricket so could have been all ran to a long boundary 

I have never been to Grace Road, but I would be surprised if they could run 5, no matter how far away the boundaries are - I suspect they were overthrows, but shall ask on the Grockles forum as I am sure AGod amongst others was watching the live stream.

Incidentally, concerning Grace, I believe our Glos friend @slartibartfast is suggesting you might be getting on a bit ?.

23 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have never been to Grace Road, but I would be surprised if they could run 5, no matter how far away the boundaries are - I suspect they were overthrows, but shall ask on the Grockles forum as I am sure AGod amongst others was watching the live stream.

Incidentally, concerning Grace, I believe our Glos friend @slartibartfast is suggesting you might be getting on a bit ?.

Maybe it was ball hit helmet, that’s 5 runs isn’t it? 
I have seen all ran fives without overthrows, when fielders would have been better off letting it go for 4.

I didn’t really understand our Glos friend but there, I am getting on.......though nowhere near as much as he’s getting on ?