IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Definitely need their wellies today.

You joke, but I was once visiting my brother who is the groundsman for Yelverton CC near Plymouth. We went to the ground thinking we would just be getting a drink at the bar as it had been raining steadily since 11am, but the teams were out on the pitch in their wellies, much to my brothers annoyance as he knew how much work he was going to have to do on the outfield after. :laughcont:

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It's alright for you and @slartibartfast, as I note that Glos. don't even have a match scheduled before playing Somerset so should escape the rain and consequent lost points. 

Fear not. I'm fairly sure Somerset will beat us next week. They won't have liked being well beaten by us on their own patch.

The last time I went to Glos v Soms in the County Championship, Trescothick was bowled third ball by Mike Smith, Somerset were on the ropes and Richard Johnson smashed a ton from No.8 (we still managed to win, though!) 

5 hours ago, tin said:

Fear not. I'm fairly sure Somerset will beat us next week. They won't have liked being well beaten by us on their own patch.

The last time I went to Glos v Soms in the County Championship, Trescothick was bowled third ball by Mike Smith, Somerset were on the ropes and Richard Johnson smashed a ton from No.8 (we still managed to win, though!) 

I remember going to game in Bath in the great days of Sadiq, Zed and Proctor. Zaheer came in after only a couple of overs and I said to my mate how much I was looking forward to seeing him, "he'll be out for a duck" was his reply............ 215 not out at the end of the day. :) My brother phoned to ask what it was like and I said "I know it sounds odd, but he didn't really get going until he was in the 130s! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember going to game in Bath in the great days of Sadiq, Zed and Proctor. Zaheer came in after only a couple of overs and I said to my mate how much I was looking forward to seeing him, "he'll be out for a duck" was his reply............ 215 not out at the end of the day. :) My brother phoned to ask what it was like and I said "I know it sounds odd, but he didn't really get going until he was in the 130s! 

That was in the hot summer of 76,no ? Zed was totally unplayable that season. I remember going to get the EP at work and always in the stop press (blast from the past) it would say, another ton for Zaheer !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

That was in the hot summer of 76,no ? Zed was totally unplayable that season. I remember going to get the EP at work and always in the stop press (blast from the past) it would say, another ton for Zaheer !

Yes. When he was on form he was unstoppable. There was a period when I think there were only half a dozen players that had scored a double century and a century in a game 6 times. Zed was one of them, but each time he did it, he was not out in both innings. 

However my uncle toured with him in a charity team a couple of times and said he was bat shit crazy, and would do the oddest things. :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

They've announced today that the players who've been at the IPL are unlikely to play in the first Test against NZ, meaning he's in line for a call up.

You just know they’ll go Broad, Anderson, Archer, Robinson/Wood/Stone rather than Overton though ?

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

They played for about 40 mins then massive downpour and it’s game over for the day. Only thing now looks like bonus points or forfeit of innings forcing a result 

I'd have said don't gamble a result against 4th? Take the draw stay ahead, would however need weather to rescue Middlesex to stay 2nd but we play Hampshire at home still

16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Glos v Somerset starts tomorrow.

I'm heading down Friday lunchtime, here's hoping the rain holds off...

I've got a ticket for Friday as well, mate. Shame the forecast is for biblical rain. Let me know if you fancy a pint.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Forecast looking rubbish draw looks likely again.

Today's forecast reckons we might get the morning session in, but it looks grim after lunch. Friday and Sunday look washouts as well. It's raining up here now but if ever there was a day to bowl first, today is it (not that it'll affect the inevitable draw).

Edited by tin

That’s not out of form from lammomby that’s just awful

anyone else’s steaming just pausing for a couple of seconds pretty regularly? Shame Gloucestershire have kept 2 of their commentators on, other streams I’ve watched have had one of each.