IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

On 19/07/2021 at 11:21, slartibartfast said:

Look, when we went to Lords all those times (and won) the amount of City shirts on view far, far outweighed the slags, but then, that's what you'd expect. A microcosm of Bristol in general !

Remember being a kid at Lords and celebrating with Gasheads in 99 when we beat Somerset.

Bittersweet.

1 minute ago, GodEmperor Palpatine said:

Remember being a kid at Lords and celebrating with Gasheads in 99 when we beat Somerset.

Bittersweet.

I certainly remember going on the pitch in front of the balcony and all you could see were celebrating reds !

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve been as disparaging as anyone about the hundred but now it’s started will give it a chance. So far the kids at my cricket club seem to be loving it and it’s on the BBC so they can all watch it 

Fine ,if that's the way you feel. In that case why have you all been disenfranchised by not having a team to support ( and don't say Welsh Fire ,for ***** sake ) ?:dunno:

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I certainly remember going on the pitch in front of the balcony and all you could see were celebrating reds !

Fine ,if that's the way you feel. In that case why have you all been disenfranchised by not having a team to support ( and don't say Welsh Fire ,for ***** sake ) ?:dunno:

Enjoyed last nights game and enjoying tonight’s game. Don’t think you need a team to support, same as when watching Prem football.

Ultimately if kids are enjoying it then it’s successful in my eyes. My kids cricket team are all talking about it on their WhatsApp group 

10 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Well the team representing Gloucestershire and Somerset is..... Welsh Fire.

They really didn't think that one through. ?

Don’t think it really works like that in franchise cricket. 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Enjoyed last nights game and enjoying tonight’s game. Don’t think you need a team to support, same as when watching Prem football.

Ultimately if kids are enjoying it then it’s successful in my eyes. My kids cricket team are all talking about it on their WhatsApp group 

Surprised Bristol didn't get a franchise tbh.

10 minutes ago, Midred said:

I'm not sure the teams represent anyone.

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It's how it was when this competition was announced. There was even talk of the team being renamed (Western Fire I think) to avoid alienating the Glos and Somerset fans.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Can someone explain this 100 business to me? Are they just trying to out T20, T20?

Basically yes. In 2003 the ECB invented T20. However, they did not properly protect it and so when it became successful other country's cricket boards copied it, and made their own tournaments (such as the IPL and Big Bash). Because the ECB had not protected the format these new leagues didn't have to license it - ie they didn't have to pay the ECB a penny to use this new format. The ECB are obviously very angry about this, and so have invented an even newer, shorter, bouncier, and louder form of cricket. This time it is protected to the hilt and if India want to have a "Hundred" league, then the ECB will be getting a slice of the pie this time, and they'll control it all as well.

It's on the BBC because in 2017 the ECB sold the BBC the rights to broadcast a "new T20" competition (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/30/live-cricket-return-bbc-twenty20-tournament). The BBC didn't buy the Hundred, they bought a T20 competition, and the ECB then changed the product.

It's honestly all just a vehicle to market crisps, and for the ECB to try and wrestle money, power, and control away from the counties and away from India and Australia. It's also a great advert for crisps.

I'm not watching, there's no team in the South West to support. I've also stopped listening to Tailenders as they (as a BBC program) were plugging it incessantly and not even pretending that there might be an alternative view to that of "the Hundred is bloody brilliant isn't it".

Read this and see what you think https://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/love-minus-a-hundred/

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Basically yes. In 2003 the ECB invented T20. However, they did not properly protect it and so when it became successful other country's cricket boards copied it, and made their own tournaments (such as the IPL and Big Bash). Because the ECB had not protected the format these new leagues didn't have to license it - ie they didn't have to pay the ECB a penny to use this new format. The ECB are obviously very angry about this, and so have invented an even newer, shorter, bouncier, and louder form of cricket. This time it is protected to the hilt and if India want to have a "Hundred" league, then the ECB will be getting a slice of the pie this time, and they'll control it all as well.

It's on the BBC because in 2017 the ECB sold the BBC the rights to broadcast a "new T20" competition (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jun/30/live-cricket-return-bbc-twenty20-tournament). The BBC didn't buy the Hundred, they bought a T20 competition, and the ECB then changed the product.

It's honestly all just a vehicle to market crisps, and for the ECB to try and wrestle money, power, and control away from the counties and away from India and Australia. It's also a great advert for crisps.

I'm not watching, there's no team in the South West to support. I've also stopped listening to Tailenders as they (as a BBC program) were plugging it incessantly and not even pretending that there might be an alternative view to that of "the Hundred is bloody brilliant isn't it".

Read this and see what you think https://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/love-minus-a-hundred/

Crisps! ????

I am not a luddite but I have just had my father in law, who only has a passing interest in cricket, excitedly explaining the rules to me and how to tead those on screen graphics. I told him to save his breath because I wont be watching again. 

T20 I can take, because I have a team to support and they still have recognisable scorecards and understandable tactics. This is just tinkering for the sake of ir.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I’ve been as disparaging as anyone about the hundred but now it’s started will give it a chance. So far the kids at my cricket club seem to be loving it and it’s on the BBC so they can all watch it 

My whole thing was, create a franchise T20 competition, stick it on TV and the kids probably would have loved it as much, there was just no need for the format of 'The Hundred' other than to be different.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

There was no need for a franchise. There are 16 decent enough clubs already.

Give the Blast this much money, hype and on terrestrial tv and it would be just as popular.

John Player league on a Sunday afternoon used to keep me interested enough. 

39 minutes ago, TomF said:

There was no need for a franchise. There are 16 decent enough clubs already.

Give the Blast this much money, hype and on terrestrial tv and it would be just as popular.

You don't get the same quality of team with the county system which is one principle reason behind it. So I'd have rigidly stuck to the whole group counties into 3's by locality to truly represent all of them, London at The Oval to reserve Lords for final, you then share home games between the 3 grounds, presumably 5 home games so 2,2,1 on a rotational basis.

Somerset, Gloucestershire, Glamorgan

Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex

Middlesex, Kent, Essex

Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Northamptonshire

Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire

Lancashire, Derbyshire, Durham (just to keep the roses apart, swapping Derbyshire and Yorkshire would make more sense)

Then have the whole draft where you can reserve x amount of local players, 2 or whatever they said etc but this way would have kept counties more involved if the games toured the teams they're supposed to represent. Whereas where I live the Ageas is only about 5 mins further away than the Swalec.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not a luddite but I have just had my father in law, who only has a passing interest in cricket, excitedly explaining the rules to me and how to tead those on screen graphics. I told him to save his breath because I wont be watching again. 

T20 I can take, because I have a team to support and they still have recognisable scorecards and understandable tactics. This is just tinkering for the sake of ir.

T20 is test cricket, compared to this shite !

• Like 1

I know the BBC coverage is dreadful especially with the gobshite Vaughan but can only be a good thing that lots more people can watch cricket and for the youngsters who might now get into it.

Even if it is this garbage!