IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

10 hours ago, Midred said:

John Player league on a Sunday afternoon used to keep me interested enough. 

Just thinking about the grounds Somerset and Glos used to play at back in the day. Certainly remember Bath.

59 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Morton in Marsh and Swindon.

My late father, a Somerset man through and through, had two maiden aunts, both of whom, for some strange reason I never understood, lived in Gloucestershire, in Adlestrop and Moreton-in-Marsh respectively. 

We used to visit each aunt most summers, and my memories are mainly of spending the afternoon playing in the garden whilst the adults had tea with home made sandwiches and cakes etc.

I remember Adlestrop, the name, because an express train pulled up there one afternoon in late June, but I also remember the cricket in Moreton-in-Marsh, as my father and one of his brothers popped off to the local cricket ground one year to watch Gloucestershire play a JPL match.

I cannot recall who Gloucestershire played (I think they won), but I do recall that both Mike Proctor and the late David Shepherd, latterly renowned as being the umpire who would raise one foot from the ground for a Nelson, played and scored well - I can't remember if either scored a century, but both scored quite a few runs that day.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Somerset used to play at the Westlands Ground in Yeovil - I distinctly remember a JP League game v Essex there. Also the Imperial Ground in Bristol.

I know my Dad saw them at Imperial a few times in the 60s, think he went to a game at Glastonbury as well.

By the time I was growing up in the 90s it was just Bath and Weston.

When Glos played at er Glos, the lest ground used was Arch Deacon Meadows, 10 minute walk from the station, but before that they used to play at the charmingly named Wagon Works ground ! The irony of those names are....the Meadows was in the heart of the city, but the WWG was more in the sticks, nestling in the lee of the Cotswolds !

• Admin

Sat in the pub with last nights games on, I will say I got quite into the womens game, it’s certainly much more like men’s cricket than women’s football to men’s football (I just can’t watch women’s football).

I enjoy a test match, been to a few, watched plenty on TV, if this can bring a few more to cricket, then it will have done its job, but really a 20/20 on terrestrial TV, timed to get the England players, would have done the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Sat in the pub with last nights games on, I will say I got quite into the womens game, it’s certainly much more like men’s cricket than women’s football to men’s football (I just can’t watch women’s football).

I enjoy a test match, been to a few, watched plenty on TV, if this can bring a few more to cricket, then it will have done its job, but really a 20/20 on terrestrial TV, timed to get the England players, would have done the same thing.

I have glanced at a few of the 100 matches, both women and men, and, to be fair, there seems to be little difference in the standard compared to T20.

My concern/problem with the 100 format is not so much the standard of play but, rather, how an unnecessary new tournament diminishes two perfectly good existing ones, just so that BBC can have their exclusive tournament.

In addition, of course, and this is probably more of a personal grievance, the 100 deprives Taunton and Bristol of a first class cricket tournament during the summer months, to the benefit of Cardiff - hardly a traditional hot bed of cricket - and I feel it difficult, impossible even, to form any allegiance to a franchise such as, e.g. Welsh Fire.

On a slightly different subject, did anybody see Roelof’s catch last night?

• Like 1

I’ve enjoyed the women’s matches a lot more than the men’s.

the women’s teams struggled a bit for identity before this so it hasn’t made a difference plus they needed the boost in promoting their game and it’s worked.

The men’s is just very similar to T20 but with fewer fans. People clearly playing for new teams and not having the bond they do with their county teammates shows I think. 
As for not having the West Country represented and all it’s doing to undermine the county game, well………

Just noticed that in this poxy 100 (can't even be arsed to write it proper) all the men's teams have "men" after the names , it'a appalling that the Taffs are misrepresenting what on offer by advertising it as Welsh Fire men ! They'll lure all the Gladys (and a few Dais) into SG on the promise of something that isn't on show !!

This game emphasises what I mean, the partisan Headingly crowd are having to cheer a local rival, Stokes and not their local hero, Bairstow who's playing for Wales or whatever they're called 

It's fine if it's abroad somewhere like the IPL but just daft and unnecessary here 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Anyway enough of that 100 shite. Really enjoying the Som/Derby 50 over game. Steve Kirby on comms is really insightful.  Think I saw @ralphindevonis at the ground ? 

Yes and a very enjoyable day it was too. 
Always exciting to see a sporting team with a mixture of experience and youth, in Hildreth we had probably one of the top 3 most experienced players on the circuit, 2 making their Somerset debuts and 3 making their list A debuts.

Sonny Baker looked a real talent, Aldridge too.

The highlight was Hildreth bringing up his century by hitting a 6. Sadly though he already had a runner because of what looked like a pulled hamstring, after hitting the 6 he seemed to pull the other one and could barely celebrate. Hope it was just cramp.

I notice that 40 years ago today I was at Lords watching Somerset beat Surrey to win the B & H cup, a great day and James Hildreth wasn’t even born……….I’ve really got to stop pretending I’m in my 30s because that’s made me feel old

• Like 3

I know there is still 20 mins to go but the crowd looks pretty sparse at Sophia Gardens. Imagine if this was a true South West team playing at Taunton or Bristol - it would be packed. Makes me so cross still that we’re not represented as a region, but maybe if it doesn’t take off they’ll change the franchise to truly represent the SW? 

Edited by lenred