IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

2 hours ago, TomF said:

If we lose to Glamorgan we might as well resign from all forms of cricket. 

A bit harsh, especially as Glamorgan have only lost a few of their first choice eleven to the 100 or the Test team - we have lost 10, including Jack Leach!

With all due respect to the team playing today, we are currently Somerset youth or 'reserves', and we most certainly got the wrong end of the toss - on, off, on throughout our innings.

Nevertheless, we got an ultimately very respectful 180 - from only 37 overs, remember - and currently have Glamorgan at 57/4; three of the wickets having been taken by our young bowlers, all of whom are debutants in 50 over cricket.  

• Like 1

Just now, ralphindevon said:

I know it’s only Glamorgan but that’s a brilliant win from the 2nd Xl, some really good performances, the usual never give up attitude and calmness under pressure.

The future is bright for the team, I just wish it was as bright for county cricket 

Anthony Gibson who was commentating for 5Live today was extolling how wonderful our Academy system is. He went through the whole team and gave chapter and verse on where they cam from. There are an awful lot of Devon lads there (and a couple of Cornish) so we must be doing some pretty good scouting down here. I guess being the westernmost first class county doesn`t hurt either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anthony Gibson who was commentating for 5Live today was extolling how wonderful our Academy system is. He went through the whole team and gave chapter and verse on where they cam from. There are an awful lot of Devon lads there (and a couple of Cornish) so we must be doing some pretty good scouting down here. I guess being the westernmost first class county doesn`t hurt either.

I didn’t hear what Gibbo said but he knows his stuff.

Devon plays a massive part in SCCC, we seem to have been supplying around 40% of the team since I moved back to England in 2014.

And something I hadn’t realised until I moved to Devon is the county supplies a pretty big percentage of fans too. 

In short, Devon plays a huge part in Somerset’s success and I don’t think it’s always recognised as much as it should be 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

I didn’t hear what Gibbo said but he knows his stuff.

Devon plays a massive part in SCCC, we seem to have been supplying around 40% of the team since I moved back to England in 2014.

And something I hadn’t realised until I moved to Devon is the county supplies a pretty big percentage of fans too. 

In short, Devon plays a huge part in Somerset’s success and I don’t think it’s always recognised as much as it should be 

I’ve just realised I put *we* when talking about Devon, I’m Somerset born and bred ?

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Glos needed 16 from the last over to beat Durham. Jack Taylor says "hold my beer" :) 

image.png.7d29c0411a6d97920a04aab7118b750c.png

Great decision not to run on the 1st ball of that over.  Seemed to be a few Glos fans in the crowd. I really thought the game was up with 5 overs to go. Good to see Bracey get 90 in 72.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Great result Glos and another cracking game in the 50 over competition.

It really is one of the great formats and no surprise that Somerset are about to sell out for their next match. 
You need to defend, you need big hitters, you need to be accurate bowling over 10 overs, it’s all done in one day, oh and we’re world champions at it! 

Remind me again why it’s been relegated to a 2nd XI 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Wow. This hundred business is brilliant. Trent Rockets scoring at a blistering run a ball. That’ll attract new customers. 

Having watched a few overs the other day, now I know what my non cricketing friends and family see when I am trying to get them intersted in a real game. It's just some player throwing a ball at another player who either hits it or misses it. No passion, no tactics, no history to the teams, nothing to get enthused by.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Having watched a few overs the other day, now I know what my non cricketing friends and family see when I am trying to get them intersted in a real game. It's just some player throwing a ball at another player who either hits it or misses it. No passion, no tactics, no history to the teams, nothing to get enthused by.

Caught a bit of commentary on 5Live earlier and they were banging on about `power sweeps` whatever the **** they are but seem to be a hundred `shot`. Presumably a normal sweep with an electric motor in the bat or something.

Load of bollocks.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Is it, I know the final isn't at Lords ?

When you’ve got 10 players out because of the hundred and tests like Somerset, some counties have more, there’s nowhere to go but 2nd XI.

As Tom said, the ECB promoted it as a development tournament, which to be fair has been great for the youngsters but not to have a major 50 over trophy and not to have any first XI cricket to watch throughout the school summer holidays is heartbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin

I know I’ll be black balled from the thread, if not the whole forum, but I have enjoyed watching some of these 100 games, busy as hell with work, long days, a bit of something easy to watch that you don’t have to think about or have any ties to, so watching as a neutral.

It’ll never take the place of one day and test cricket, but there seems to be plenty of kids in the grounds, if it gets them interested, maybe it will achieve something.  I appreciate they could have done similar with 20/20 but this is what there is and being on terrestrial TV is no bad thing.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I know I’ll be black balled from the thread, if not the whole forum, but I have enjoyed watching some of these 100 games, busy as hell with work, long days, a bit of something easy to watch that you don’t have to think about or have any ties to, so watching as a neutral.

It’ll never take the place of one day and test cricket, but there seems to be plenty of kids in the grounds, if it gets them interested, maybe it will achieve something.  I appreciate they could have done similar with 20/20 but this is what there is and being on terrestrial TV is no bad thing.

Yeah, but it ain't cricket !

10 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying it, it’s good cricketers playing a form of cricket, what’s not to like? 
Plus it’s been brilliant for the women’s game.
it’s the long term effect it’ll have on the county game, which I know is complex. Plus  the fact the West Country has been ignored completely.

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying it, it’s good cricketers playing a form of cricket, what’s not to like? 
Plus it’s been brilliant for the women’s game.
it’s the long term effect it’ll have on the county game, which I know is complex. Plus  the fact the West Country has been ignored completely.

Yes, what were they thinking, lumping us in with Wales , don't they realize we don't get on ? It may have been more acceptable had it been Western Fire, and played a couple of games in Bristol and Taunton . Now we have a situation where ,at best, we don't care and worst we want them to lose every ****** match !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, what were they thinking, lumping us in with Wales , don't they realize we don't get on ? It may have been more acceptable had it been Western Fire, and played a couple of games in Bristol and Taunton . Now we have a situation where ,at best, we don't care and worst we want them to lose every ****** match !

Exactly, iirc it was originally supposed to be like you say but they’ve made it known since, Welsh fire are definitely a team representing Wales. 
Luckily for them they can play the Covid card for the lack of fans

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Exactly, iirc it was originally supposed to be like you say but they’ve made it known since, Welsh fire are definitely a team representing Wales. 
Luckily for them they can play the Covid card for the lack of fans

So, they've got ONE first class (sic) county and we've got TWO !  The "great and good" have always treated us both like Minor counties, t'was ever thus !        

• Like 1